Good fly site

mute

mute

Found a great site for buying flies. Not only in PA but cheap and accepts paypal. http://www.theflystop.com

Looks terrific. Have you ordered? Let us know what you think of the quality.

It may be a PA company (which is good). I don't see where it says the flies are tied in the USA though. Are they tied locally?

With minimum wage at $7.15, there is not a chance these are locally tied. Not that I have anything against using foreign tied flies, just saying...

albatross wrote:
With minimum wage at $7.15, there is not a chance these are locally tied. Not that I have anything against using foreign tied flies, just saying...

Well, if I were tying them at minimum wage, they have to sell for at least $2.00 apiece, but a speed demon who can tie a couple dozen an hour might still be able to shake out a profit. If they work and are good for more than a couple casts before they start unwinding, I don't care if they're tied in Iran by Mullahs, but that's just me.

Careful! Although the address is Pulasky PA, the phone number is Salem Ohio. Could be a Browns fan. :-D

Thanks for the link. I already book marked it. Although I usually tie my own, there are some patterns I just don't like tying.

Jack wrote: “……….. I don't care if they're tied in Iran by Mullahs, but that's just me.”

I had to look it up:

Until early 20th century, the term mullah was used in Iranian hawzas (seminaries) to refer to low-level clergy who specialized in telling stories of Ashura, rather than teaching or issuing fatwas. Today, the term mullah is sometimes used as a derogatory term for any Islamic cleric. It is common in Iran to refer to an ayatollah or other high level clerics, as a mullah, to ridicule his religious authority.

I’m not sure that a “mullah” would be my first choice as someone to tie my flies, but when in Iran…………….

Yea i ordered some, ill get back to you on the quality. I met the owner on ebay actually, and we talked which led me to the site to order.

Yeah let us know about the quality. I'm all for supporting local businesses, but sometimes my budget gets in the way of doing that. :-(

Before you spend, Sulphurs aren't Sulphurs

I, also, prefer to tie my own flies, but certain health problems at times defer me to buy them on line. If I have a trip planned, and cannot tie a dozen or so, that I'll need for that trip, I always go to Yagers Flies on line.
95% of their flies are $1.09 ea or $11.89 a doz.,(.99 ea.) I like, these, because all their flies are "Umpqua" flies, tied with Metz hackle-on Tiemco hooks and carry a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.
True, that's twice the price, mentioned above, but I've never had an Umpqua fly come apart me, the colors are exact, as are the proportions on every fly I've ever gotten from them.

I believe that the gentleman who's business this is works in a fly shop in NW PA. If I read another board correctly, it's him. I patronize that shop every time I fish the stream because they are extremely helpful and all around good guys.

With that said, I definately prefer to tie my own patterns, but there are some that I cannot tie. Also, sometimes it's tough to crank out high numbers before a trip as has been mentioned. Another reason to buy a dozen in a shot. At the prices listed I'd say it's worth it, at least for me. Beyond that, he guarantees his products and services 100% so says the website. I'm sure he will stand behind it. The hooks are Targus hooks, which seem to be a quality alternative to higher priced name brand hooks.

I'll give them a shot the next time I need some flys, but anyone who's ordered please post the quality and your experiences with them.

I have tried a bunch of discount online fly shops and so far prefer www.blueflycafe.com but I just checked out this site and placed a small order to see how their quality is. Thanks for the tip!

They may be okay for eastern flies but a lot of the western are a joke
look at the white and also yellow marabou muddlers under streamers.Heads way to big,collar way to heavy and the wings too short and using left over marabou instead of the good feathers.
Stoneflys are 50 centers,as are the wooley buggers,etc.
Strongly suggest trial orders-lol

Let me just say that since my last post, I have have ordered twice from The Fly Stop. Sure their quality is not as good as some of the $2.00 flies I have purchased in the past, but their quality in relation to price is excellent. Customer service and shipping is great and the freebies are a bonus. I ordered 21 flies last time and received 14 freebies. That's impressive considering that 4 of those were large pike/bass streamers (based on my order I suppose) and the rest were all geographically relevant. I would highly recommend these folks.

As do i, ive fished the flies ive ordered and none have come unraveled.

2 quips.

I did a dummy order and the shipping was only $3- not bad.

Flyfisher Paradise is a good place to order if you are in a hurry- 2 days max delivery.

acristickid wrote:
2 quips.

I did a dummy order and the shipping was only $3- not bad.

Flyfisher Paradise is a good place to order if you are in a hurry- 2 days max delivery.

The great majority of FFP flies are tied by US tiers, also.

Back