Good Fly Materials, what and where

J

joseywales

New to the tying game. I picked up a cheap BassPro kit off the forum. I've tied a couple Buggers and the Marabou isn't great and neither is the hackle. I'm sure I'll find the other materials aren't either. The masks are probably fine, but.

Looking to tie the basics right now: Buggers, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Brassies,

What am I looking for in good materials and where's the best place to get them? There aren't really any local shops that have a good selection. Most of their packages are covered in more dirt that George Washington.

Go to a fly shop and ask for assistance. Put a limit on what you are willing to spend each trip. Pay a couple of dollars for the best materials so you only buy once.

fishbaithohaha wrote:
Go to a fly shop and ask for assistance. Put a limit on what you are willing to spend each trip. Pay a couple of dollars for the best materials so you only buy once.

Good advice above.

I would spend some money on a decent vise and some decent basic tools (bobbin, whip finisher, scissors).

Since you're just learning to tie flies, buy the materials and hooks and thread you need to tie your "buggers, pheasant tail nymphs and brassies."

When you master tying those flies, buy materials to tie a few others - and on and on.....

You'll end up having decent quality material that you will actually use. Also, remember that materials, hooks and beads used for one fly often may be used to tie many others.

Any decent fly shop should be able to help you select materials for the flies you wish to tie.

at the risk of repetition, do some searching on the forum here. This topic has been discussed many times and there's some really good threads on it.

Back