Good bye Great Lakes steelhead and salmon

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

It's been a while since I've seen an asian carp report, but sometimes that's not a good thing. I fear by the time anyone really does anything about it, it will be too late. It makes me absolutely sick to think that all the great lakes fishing may be ruined due to this invasive species.

http://news.yahoo.com/report-asian-carp-may-reached-great-lakes-130205163.html

bowhunting :eek:)

Zoinks

The Same Thing Was Going To Happen With Zebra MUssle, Gobies, Spiny Water Flea, Etc. Nobody Is Happy About ThIs, But It Won't Be A Death Sentence For Salmon And Steelhead. As Side Note Salmon Were First Stocked In Ontario To Control The Alewife (Another Invasive Species).

The steelhead and the salmon are the least of it. They never should have been introduced into the Lakes in the first place.

If these things break loose and overrun the Lakes, the rest of the Great Lakes States should sue the city of Chicago and the State of Illinois to freeze every discretionary dollar in both of their respective coffers with the proceeds to go to re-engineering and re-implementing Chicago's waste water and sewage treatment systems to discharge to the Lake and not shunt it off over into the Illinois River/Mississippi drainage,as is currently the case. That's how this thing got to the point where it currently stands. This interbasin transfer should have never been allowed in the first place or at the least, once uniform CWA standards went into effect in the 70's, the city should have been forced to re-do the entire thing then.

They should sue them to pay for the changes and if there are any monies left, they should go to the rest of the GL states (especially MI and WI who will experience the most harm soonest) for damages.

I don't care if it bankrupts both the city and the state. Good riddance in fact..

Rleep, WhAt Is Your Beef With Salmon In Lo? WhAt Native Species Are They Displacing? Alewifes(Invasive) Displaced Smelt (Native) So Pacific Salmon (Introduced) WeRe Stocked. Steelhead Are Also An Introduced Species, Do You Dislike Them Also? If Ny And Canada Stopped Stocking Salmon They'd Be Gone. They Are A PUt And Take Fishery That GenerateS A Lot Of Money For Rural Areas. Atlantic Salmon Have Proven They Aren't Even A Viable Put And Take Option. I Greatly Prefer Steelhead Over Pacific Salmon, But Your View Makes No Sense To Me. They Certainly Don't FIt The Definition Of An Invasive Species. Sorry About The Caps Don't Know How To Fix It.

Bob, where have you been? I agree!

Looks like more people will be coming to the salt jams in a few years :-o

Asian Carp JAM 11/17/13...be there...or don't.

Asian carp militias......a stepping stone between active combat and the slide back into societythe program would be run by HS and will take approximatly 2 trillion dollars to fund , which will come from the increased FICA donations.

Very, very sad state of affairs.

A Bob sighting. huh. "attitudally" really a word? lol .....but I like it.

Hope things are going well. Tell Petunia I said hello.

"The other E with a K and not a C"

A lot of people don't know this, but Chicago is not the only pathway for these fish from the Mississippi drainage to the great lakes. It is just the one of "greatest concern."

link

Asian carp eggs, fry and fingerlings were found in the Wabash River in Indiana. There is acute risk of the Wabash River flooding into the Maumee River, which leads directly into Lake Erie.

Maumee flows directly into Lake Erie at Toledo.

I about another possible routes through Ohio waters as well. I believe it involved on canals.

Food for thought.

Considering that Asian carp are presently something like 97% of the fish biomass of the Illinois River, I think it's time for an all-out commercial fishery for them. They have one already, of course, but it's mostly for pet food and export.

I'm willing to do my part to eat them into extinction in the Western hemisphere. It worked that way for the passenger pigeon, which was at one time the most common bird in the world. Or so I've read. Canned passenger pigeon was the Starkist tuna of the 19th century.

Ironically, the main roosting habitat of the passenger pigeon was the bottomlands of the Ohio River basin and its tributaries.

Back