Gonna Try Something: Bass Jig Skirt Material

S

Sylvaneous

I'm anything but a purist. Like fly fishing, to "save money" I have purchased problaby nearly $200 worth of bass jig material to wrap my own bass jigs. (Even though I spent more $$$ than I maybe ever have in buying bass jigs, you can make some great looking jig skirts and combinations like my Zombie with black, purple, red and chartreuse. Won't find that in the Dirty Jigs listing) So I was thinking about making a sculpin fly using a good bit of barred green pumpkin skirting. I'm thinking about making the head with a bullet-head technique, with lots of dubbing and some feather side fins at the back-wrapped part of the bullet head. The underbody might be Estaz and a marabou tail. Pretty conventional there. I didn't know if anyone had tried anything like this before. ????
Syl

I'm anything but a purist. Like fly fishing, to "save money" I have purchased problaby nearly $200 worth of bass jig material to wrap my own bass jigs. (Even though I spent more $$$ than I maybe ever have in buying bass jigs, you can make some great looking jig skirts and combinations like my Zombie with black, purple, red and chartreuse. Won't find that in the Dirty Jigs listing) So I was thinking about making a sculpin fly using a good bit of barred green pumpkin skirting. I'm thinking about making the head with a bullet-head technique, with lots of dubbing and some feather side fins at the back-wrapped part of the bullet head. The underbody might be Estaz and a marabou tail. Pretty conventional there. I didn't know if anyone had tried anything like this before. ????
Syl
Dear Syl,

I'm sure you can make some interesting flies with it. My only concern is that with most of the bass skirting I've been around co-mingling baits of different colors often results in melted discolored goop.

Give it try though, and show your work!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I often wondered if you can use those skirts for legs on hoppers and other terrestrials.

Back