Gold Cup Reels

brookieaddict

brookieaddict

If any one is looking for a very well built tough reel, at a working mans price,look no further. I purchased one from Bass Pro after a salt fly fishing buddie told me about them. I am sure most of us have been burnt my marketing adds as i have so i give it my 'drag test" . At 35 m.p.h. it doesn't overheat, and the drag doesnt fade. It will get the job done on big Carp. B.A.

Please explain your "drag test"... :-o

Its very simple I bribe my wife to drive the truck down the driveway untill she reaches the end at the speed I tell her to travel. I tie onto the ball a 80 pound tippet attached to the fly line with the drag turned down at the last stop. Max drag at 35 m.p.h several times usualy will tell if the reel is the real thing or not. It would be wise to keep all the original box with reciept. I've had some name brands fail miserably. B.A.

problem is the further the fish runs the more you back off of a drag, not tighten. try spinning it faster then see. they don't hold up to some salt water fish. seen one explode (freeze) on a cow nosed ray once.

sandfly, the whole drag test is to see if it stands up to maximum drag even when the reel it too hot to touch. Gold cup reels are salt water raeels, thats where the got their reputation. The Florida Keys Fly Grand Slam was won using Gold Cup reels.

Back