Going to Hershey for the weekend.

GonnaFlyNow

GonnaFlyNow

Hi,

Anyone recommend a good spot for fishing around Hershey? I don't know the area that well.

Thanks,

Swatara Creek is right there in Hershey, and at a prime level for Summer wading/fishing. It's a WW creek...expect Smallmouth and Fallfish mostly.

Quittapahilla in Annville is a limestoner and stays cold, but is generally tough fishing for whatever stockers held over. It has limited, if any, natural reproduction. I'd either be there at first light, or late in the evening to see if you can pick off a riser or two, otherwise it's tough going in the Summer.

The freestoners north of town (Clarks/Stony/Manada/etc) are all very low and probably tough right now too.

I'd just fish the Swattie for Bass if it were me.

Swattie, any suggestions as to what flies one would use when fishing the Swatara?

Swing something like an olive bugger for the damsel flies, drift a crayfish imitation, and throw a Clouser Minnow especially if you see some fleeing minnows. That should have you covered.

riverwhy wrote:
Swing something like an olive bugger for the damsel flies, drift a crayfish imitation, and throw a Clouser Minnow especially if you see some fleeing minnows. That should have you covered.

^Pretty much this. Maybe a popper or two just in case they're willing to look up.

Thanks everyone for the great info. This will really save me some time. Now let's hope the weather co-operates.

If you get to Bass Pro, pick up a Clouser crayfish brown in a size 8. Fished two Sundays ago and hammered the small mouth and sunfish.

Back