Go to fly when fish arn't bitting?

drumat26

drumat26

I fished the Mahantango tonight on the East side of the river at the northern end of Dauphin County. I fished from the mouth up about a mile or so. Saw numerous amounts of fish. Carp, bass, even a couple cats. Had about 4 strikes and no hook ups. I threw crayfish patterns gurglers, wooly buggers, etc. My question is what is your go to when your having problems getting bites?

Also, im sure the warm water didnt help and the fact that the water was pretty slow moving. Would the heat shut the fish completely off at this time of year?

Likely your flies were OK, but not getting to the right places. Sometimes the holding/feeding lies are more limited.

Sorry i realized i posted this in the wrong board. But thanks for the reply. I only saw about 3 or 4 top water strikes the whole time i was there. Its been this way for me for about 2 months again. I have been in a tough rut all summer. Thanks for the input

drumat26 wrote:
Would the heat shut the fish completely off at this time of year?

Yes.
Many local streams around here get warm enough that trout will not feed. Many get so warm that trout die or have to migrate to find cold water refuge this time of year.

Will move this thread to Beginner's Forum.
DaveW

Last weekend I fished a lake from a boat, I was throwing streamers hoping for bigger fish. After no luck I switched to a green weenie. Caught 25+ fish. One on almost every cast. Mostly bluegills, pumpkinseeds and crappie. The guys I fished with caught pickerel and largemouth on the same fly. We all switched to the green weenie! The point is, sometimes one fly can be hot, and another is not, don't assume the fish aren't biting.

Fish will always eat. Sometimes, we just haven't figured out what it is they're eating.

Just curious about the green weenie. Someone told me they are great for stocked trout. How do you fish it out of a boat?

The green weenie is great this time of year for wild browns too. While lake fishing, i put a little split shot on, enough to get it to sink at a decent rate, and cast right to the edge of lily pads, logs, or any type of structure. Let it sink for a few seconds then strip it in. If all goes well, you'll have a fish on after the first strip or two.

do you fish it with an indicator for browns? I was fishing today and there were no fish rising. I prob should have tried it.

Yes, both with and without. I'll dead drift it under an indicator like a nymph. Then I'll take the indicator off and swing/strip it like a streamer if I the dead drift doesn't work. Green Weenies work best in plunge pools and runs. I dont have as much luck in slower holes with it. I also tie them with and without beadheads, with the chinile loop at the end or with a small marabou tail.

Back