Gnder mountain files for bankruptcy

The one in johnstown is hit or miss. Sometimes you go there and the Fly fishing section is fully stocked with at least everything you would need for trout, other times its bare shelves. Last time I was there I was asking about a 10 wt package deal and the guy looked at me like I was stupid though.

A store can't survive by just selling deep discount items that just cover costs. If the store has what you want and need, support the store and buy your equipment there on a regular basis instead of buying online...or the store won't be there for long.

I went to the one in Johnstown a few times for tying supplies - mostly in the winter (when I tie mostly). They consistently had nothing I needed. The hook shelves were bare and not much else that you would need to tie the basic trout assortment. I quit wasting my time going there - much better stores in the area.

like a lot of the sporting goods going under they tried to pander to every interest so never really gave any of us a feeling it was "our store".

We have a nice GM near me in Chambersburg that I drop by and visit frequently. There's a pretty decent FF supply as well, certainly enough for beginners to get started and old hands like me to find basics like #14 nymph hooks, a new pair of hemostats, or leader material.

Regarding the bankruptcy...
I'm not an outdoor retail insider and have no real insight on this, however I can't imagine that these outdoor big box stores have not overinvested in too many stores/infrastructure. Big box outdoor stores have just popped up like weeds in the last decade and many went up since the Great Recession...and continue to be built. We just got a Field & Stream near Harrisburg recently, and this since the local GM went belly up. Harrisburg already had a Bass Pro and a Cabelas an hour down the road. How much is too much?

While I really enjoy these stores, I find it hard to believe that they haven't built too many of 'em. I just can't fathom how these stores saw so much building as a sustainable business model.

I visit the one in Chambersburg too. It's less than a half hour from me. It's convenient for me to go there and get a few tying supplies in a pinch. Right now they have some fly lines on clearance and you can combine it with online coupons. But the sales are few and far between on the items I am looking for...mostly fly fishing. Their sale prices are often only bringing items down to Cabelas normal prices.

I really like their cheap sunglasses. Igogs, are the brand. They range from $15-$25 for polarized glasses. I figured something was up a few weeks ago when I bought a new pair of shades and they didn't try to sell me the lifetime warranty!!

I have no complaints about the one in Miles, Oh, but understand, I don't go there for FF supplies. For FF supplies, I go to a FF shop. Besides, Ohio is not exactly a FF mecca.

For other fishing, and hunting supplies, I think they are pretty good.

As previously stated, they just closed 2/17 the Century 3 store in West Mifflin. I'm going to miss that store, especially for ammo - always ran specials. The only local store that carried .32 win special, and .375 H & H. Field and Stream is lacking...

Back