Gnder mountain files for bankruptcy

A

AFISHN

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2017/03/10/gander-mountain-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy.html?ana=e_abd&u=wkOD5MOudImUxbsuzsi%2BDzuMONA&t=1489416580&j=77630701

Sorry to see this happen

I've never stepped foot intro a Gander Mtn so I certainly wasn't helping them. I've never heard all that much great stuff about them, though.

I'm not surprised. I haven't had any bad experiences at GM, but the store is near Scranton was never really bustling. Having said that, I did not see any PA locations scheduled to close. It's probably a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy: "A chapter 11 debtor usually proposes a plan of reorganization to keep its business alive and pay creditors over time."

And, this: "...aggressively expanded the store count to more than 160 locations across 26 states."

They were too aggressive in growing the store count. The same thing happened to Jumbo Sports about 16 years ago. I worked in the Columbia, SC store in the late 90s and they were already stiffing vendors due to cash flow issues related to growing the location count too quickly.

Not the first an won't be the last. IMO their fly fishing selection was meh at best.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
I'm not surprised. I haven't had any bad experiences at GM, but the store is near Scranton was never really bustling. Having said that, I did not see any PA locations scheduled to close. It's probably a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy: "A chapter 11 debtor usually proposes a plan of reorganization to keep its business alive and pay creditors over time."

And, this: "...aggressively expanded the store count to more than 160 locations across 26 states."

They were too aggressive in growing the store count. The same thing happened to Jumbo Sports about 16 years ago. I worked in the Columbia, SC store in the late 90s and they were already stiffing vendors due to cash flow issues related to growing the location count too quickly.

The one by century three mall closed or still is closing they had a lot of great deals going on.
It is a shame to see them go I did like going to see what they had every once in awhile.
Heard the bass pros never bought cabelas.

Sad news.

I like GM and will be sad to see stores close.

This is interesting. They just built one not far from me...I believe it opened in the last year. Guess it was one of the "expanding too quickly" stores. Maybe I'll take a swing by after work and take a "gander" at their offerings. (Man that was a horrible pun)

The one near me was recently remodeled.

The one by me closed very recently and in talking with the employees they didn't know what was going on with the company. I expected to see this. The store was just ok at best and I occasionally found a good deal there. Not much fly fishing stuff but I still bought a few things here and there.

Not surprised at all. Just an okay selection and never any pants in my size. Good clearances though if you could find your size.

Tried to buy my hunting boots at one a couple years ago and the lady laughed when I told her I needed a 10.5 size. Said they had been sold out for a month since it was hunting season... LOL

They don't carry enough stock of the most popular boot size during hunting season???? That makes sense.

Bye Felicia.

Way back in the day before the internet, Gander was my favorite mail order catalog.

I've said it before and will say it again - the US is over saturated with big box outdoor stores. Not surprising to see this happen.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
It's probably a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy: "A chapter 11 debtor usually proposes a plan of reorganization to keep its business alive and pay creditors over time."

Yeah, the article said it was Chapter 11. They're not going out of business yet.

There are no Pennsylvania stores on the list to be closed.

They just built that big Gander Mountain in Monroeville last year. Being in Allegheny County, I could only imagine what that costed to build. They have a decent bargain cave, gun and gun accessory selection. There's one whole isle for fly fishing but that's better than ****s and still closer to me than the nearest fly shop. It comes in handy when I'm out of flotant or when I lost my hackle pliers last week lol. But saying all that, the parking lot is usually empty except for maybe a couple cars. I'll be surprised if it makes it to the 5 year mark.

Their business model is the problem. When you see online and other retail companies offering products for much less you need to react to what is happening. Their sale prices are nothing to brag about as well. I normally go into a Gander Mountain store and leave with nothing due to their high prices. They either need to compete or close the doors.

Ron

ryansheehan wrote:

Like I said in an upper post the store in west mifflin is closing or has finally closed. Seems like they are just closing their stores that don't get that much business for them.

ryansheehan wrote:

It's because several closed in the last few months already.

Solitariolupo wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:

Like I said in an upper post the store in west mifflin is closing or has finally closed. Seems like they are just closing their stores that don't get that much business for them.

I was just going off the list of 32 underperforming stores that the article said were closing their doors.

I get emails daily from the one in Century III about it closing.

I like the one in Monroeville. Ive scored a few deals in their bargain cave. Columbia flannels for 20$, Northface fleeces for 30$, ect. Their fly tying selection is the best out of all the chain stores around here.

Also, they'll price match any brick and mortar store around so their higher than normal prices arent an issue.

I bought my M&P 9c there over black Friday. I called every store you could think of in western PA looking for a M&P 9c w/ a thumb safety. No one had them in stock, including them. Some places told me they did so Id go there only to find out it was a M&P Shield or a .45c. Wasted 2 days doing this. Needless to say I was SUPER pissed wasting a whole weekend looking for this gun.

I finally ordered the gun online through their website and paid for it online. I was told it would be ready for pick up in a few days. Got an email a few hours later and picked it up in store the same day at the Monroeville location. They went outta their way to cancel the order and redo it with a price match plus another discount plus a gift card on top of the price match and extra discount I was already given even though the gun was paid for already.

To me, thats awesome customer service and I have no problem shopping there. I hope they can stay in business.

Back