Gloves

I almost never used gloves when I fished in the cold. Keeping them dry was always more important then keeping them covered. I found if you kept your head and chest warm, your feet and hands were fine. If they weren't it was time to follow wildtrout2's advice.

I have replacement joints in both index fingers. Merino wool fingerless gloves and a microfiber rag to keep warm and dry

I have the Orvis fingerless softshell gloves. They keep me warm enough for cold weather fishing.

I have the Orvis fingerless gloves too. Also echo the importance of keeping hands dry, carry a towel.

No perfect answer. Most days I like fingerless gloves and go between rag wool and neoprene ones. I think the rag wool is more comfortable, but they catch hooks more (especially with cold numb fingers handling flies). Keeping dry is important and the towel is a good idea.

Also I keep extra pairs of gloves in the inside pockets of my coat, including nice full length fleece ones. Nothing like putting on warm, dry gloves when your other pair is cold and wet.

I never use gloves. I feel like they take away sensitivity and my hands are not sensitive to begin with.

That being said I've heard of people who use Latex or Nitrile gloves under normal gloves to keep their hands dry. I think swapping out your gloves when they get wet is a good idea too. I try and keep my gear minimal as in stuffing an Orvis guide pack with multiple fly boxes and enough food to feed my Steven Seagal-like appetite.

Some may even call wintertime fishing an end to the season, certainly not I, I already have my Little J winter time money hole picked out.

I have replacement joints in both index fingers. Merino wool fingerless gloves and a microfiber rag to keep warm and dry
Meriwool fingerless, available on Amazon. When it's already below freezing with wind coming on you may opt to put a heat pack on the top of your hands where the blood flows

I hate wearing gloves at all, especially while fishing because they all are too bulky in the palm and I can't stand the way it feels when gripping something.

For that reason I go with a couple of options:

MaxiFlex Ultimate. These gloves are thin, but offer a lot of dexterity. You can also cut slits into the finger tips & thumb. Not super warm, but warmer than nothing.​
I've also worn these with the finger tips cut off under a pair of finger-less polar fleece gloves with the fold- over "cap." On these polar fleece gloves I cut out the palm so there is no bulk and the MaxiFlex gloves function as the palm.​
The MaxiFlex Ultimate are also great work gloves when you don't need a lot of hand protection.​
The second option is a slightly heavier, similar glove from the same manufacturer called G-Tek® PolyKor.​

One of these days, somebody will make a decently warm fold-over finger-less glove with a thin and flexible palm...

In the meantime, I always have a flask of whiskey and a couple of vintage Jon-e GI hand warmers with me. ;)

I have never been out on a cold day where I said, boy the back of my hands and palms are cold I better cover them. It’s my fingers that get cold so I must profess to not understanding the use of fingerless gloves on a cold day. A towel is a better option. I personally like a hand muff with hand warmers, towel and no gloves, with or without fingers. Each year that goes by I go out less and less on cold days. This seems to be the best option now.

I hate wearing gloves at all, especially while fishing because they all are too bulky in the palm and I can't stand the way it feels when gripping something.

For that reason I go with a couple of options:

MaxiFlex Ultimate. These gloves are thin, but offer a lot of dexterity. You can also cut slits into the finger tips & thumb. Not super warm, but warmer than nothing.​
I've also worn these with the finger tips cut off under a pair of finger-less polar fleece gloves with the fold- over "cap." On these polar fleece gloves I cut out the palm so there is no bulk and the MaxiFlex gloves function as the palm.​
The MaxiFlex Ultimate are also great work gloves when you don't need a lot of hand protection.​
The second option is a slightly heavier, similar glove from the same manufacturer called G-Tek® PolyKor.​

One of these days, somebody will make a decently warm fold-over finger-less glove with a thin and flexible palm...

In the meantime, I always have a flask of whiskey and a couple of vintage Jon-e GI hand warmers with me. ;)
Dear Bam,

They made thin flexible palm warm gloves 30 years ago; they were called Glacier gloves.

2mm neoprene and very warm, especially if you toss them on your defroster vent and warm them up first.

I also wear ragg wool gloves, I'm ham-handed so the thickness doesn't bother me.

I even have Simms flip over mittens.

Maybe it's a diabetic thing, but I can have snot running out of my nose and freezing in my moustache and beard with no worries, but if my hands are cold, I'm done.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I never use gloves. I feel like they take away sensitivity and my hands are not sensitive to begin with.

That being said I've heard of people who use Latex or Nitrile gloves under normal gloves to keep their hands dry. I think swapping out your gloves when they get wet is a good idea too. I try and keep my gear minimal as in stuffing an Orvis guide pack with multiple fly boxes and enough food to feed my Steven Seagal-like appetite.

Some may even call wintertime fishing an end to the season, certainly not I, I already have my Little J winter time money hole picked out.
sorry to be a contrarian but the last thing you want is to wear latex or nitrile gloves. It doesn't take long for moisture to build and cold hands to result. I know from years of wearing them when working in a coldroom for hours. Nitrile is a little better because they breathe a little and have more gaps to allow air circulation, latex is worse.

I have never been out on a cold day where I said, boy the back of my hands and palms are cold I better cover them. It’s my fingers that get cold so I must profess to not understanding the use of fingerless gloves on a cold day. A towel is a better option. I personally like a hand muff with hand warmers, towel and no gloves, with or without fingers. Each year that goes by I go out less and less on cold days. This seems to be the best option now.
LOL reminds me when my coach told us to put our hands in our cup (crotch) if our hands are cold. He would have been fired these days!

Dear Bam,

They made thin flexible palm warm gloves 30 years ago; they were called Glacier gloves.

2mm neoprene and very warm, especially if you toss them on your defroster vent and warm them up first.

I also wear ragg wool gloves, I'm ham-handed so the thickness doesn't bother me.

I even have Simms flip over mittens.

Maybe it's a diabetic thing, but I can have snot running out of my nose and freezing in my moustache and beard with no worries, but if my hands are cold, I'm done.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

They still make them.

I had a pair of the Orvis branded version and still found them to be thicker in the palm then I 'd like. They were also more difficult to put on and take off, something I am constantly doing when fishing because I generally can't stand wearing gloves.

I used to use my old Millar Mitts but my finger tips got too cold...

wool or fleece. I go fingerless with flip over mitt if desired. Best trick I’ve found is to have 2 pairs, and use handwarmers tucked in the glove on the back of your hand

i use fingerless gloves. and 100% rag wool. bought them from cabelas few years ago and they work great for me

Back