Glasses

E

edhank

a couple of months ago on the orvis fly fishing podcast, Tom rosenbauer mentioned that he has glasses just for fly tying. I am at a stage in life now that I need helper for the close up work now. I can wear contacts with readers but I don't wear contacts everyday. I am hesitant on getting bifocals because I don't need extra help all the time. Tonight I was tying, wearing my glasses with a pair of cheaters. Not the most comfortable thing to do.

What do you all do? Is there a prescription that I could ask for that would also have the extra magnification built in, that I could use just for fly tying? Or should I just bite the bullet and get bifocals?

I use 4.00 readers. My regular glasses are bifocals but I need more magnification for tying. I also have a goose neck magnifier that must be at least 10X that I use for the real small stuff.

i had cataract surgery in my right eye and i'm wearing a contact lens in the left eye to correct my vision

i too use 4.00 reading glasses for fly tying

i use 1.50 reading glasses for everything else

I have a pair of 2.25 clip on magnifier glasses. They have helped me significantly with the close up work. I like the fact that I clip them on over my prescription trifocals and can flip them up and down as they are needed. Very convenient to use.

I'm another user of a pair of readers. I wear progressive lens, but find tying with the readers to be more comfortable.

djs12354 wrote:
I'm another user of a pair of readers. I wear progressive lens, but find tying with the readers to be more comfortable.

So do you wear the readers in lieu of your regular prescription glasses? I tried that, but my vision wasn't as sharp when tying.

I use 1.5 for reading and for tying and on-stream I use Orvis Super Magnifiers 4X. The Orvis glasses sell for $59 and they are really nice. My next pair will be 5X.

I wear my bifocals and use one of these Optivisors on my head. http://www.doneganoptical.com/products/optivisor

edhank wrote:
djs12354 wrote:

So do you wear the readers in lieu of your regular prescription glasses? I tried that, but my vision wasn't as sharp when tying.

Yes, I do wear the readers in place of my regular glasses when tying. You may need to try a couple of different powers of glasses to find what works for you. Hit the dollar store to try them and, if you find a comfortable pair, get better ones from another source. Or they may not work at all for you.

Have you had a recent eye exam?

Good Luck.

Dave

djs12354 wrote:
edhank wrote:
djs12354 wrote:

Yes, I do wear the readers in place of my regular glasses when tying. You may need to try a couple of different powers of glasses to find what works for you. Hit the dollar store to try them and, if you find a comfortable pair, get better ones from another source. Or they may not work at all for you.

Have you had a recent eye exam?

Good Luck.

Dave

I have had an eye exam within the past year. In fact, I might be due for one. I'll have to talk to my eye doc.

The heck of it is, I can read my computer screen perfectly fine. Its the darned up close work with fly tying that is giving me fits.

This getting old crap is for the birds.

edhank:

There is quite a bit of difference between reading a computer screen, and tying flies.
I currently use 2x reading glasses on the computer.
And 3x glasses for tying. Although that is getting a little tough for me lately - and think I'll need to bump up to 3.5 or 4x soon.

As for getting old - it still beats not getting old, right?

LOL! You are so right on that.

I'll stop at CVS and getting some readers in different strengths and talk to the eye doc.

I know where i work they had safety glasses that are 2x then they have small bifocal area that's 5x. The 5x area is amazing for midges and bwo's. Wish they still got them in the parts room so i could snag another pair. You might be able to find them from uline or uvex.

6e18ec4bf776f93ef0e7de9fc3d9af17.jpg

I can barley see to tie flies as I get older, glasses or none.

But I compensate for that by having such shakey hands that I can't hold material on a hook...

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

Back