Glass

STONEMAN

STONEMAN

Caught a handful of nice brownies on my "new" 1960's Fenwick feralite ff75 that i pick up a couple of weeks ago. My first glass experience. Didn't really like it for the nymphs and wets but it was spot on for throwing Grannom imitations last night.

Yup I have that rod! You'll get used to it for sub surface stuff if you fish it enough. Its definitely a shift from graphite, but its one that I'm very happy I made. I think you'll enjoy it particularly for the wet flies. I watched Wetfly01 at the QG Summit last year fish his wets w/ a cane rod. Down and across, and constantly mending his line to slow the flies down, I can see how glass or cane would work very well for something like that.

Every rod is different but I've found most of my fiberglass rods aren't the best tools for high sticking/dead drifting. I feel limited by the shorter length and some of them are easy to over power when lifting a pair of bead head nymphs under an indie (gasp!). An 8'6" 6wt is probably way more versatile than anything I own. I love a 7' to 8' 4wt or 5wt fiberglass rod for dries however. I'd think those lengths are a little short to throw multiple wets. Longer rod, more open loops, fewer catastrophic tangles.

I really like 'glass rods for smaller streams.

My new favorite rod is a Steffen glass rod 7'9" 3/4 weight. Great for the delicate stuff and even handles the small clousers I tend to use. Roll cast and short distances. I struggle to reach over 50' with glass but most of my fishing is 20' or less so it doesn't really matter.

I really like fiberglass flyrods but not for nymph fishing or throwing any heavy weight. I use mine primarily to fish dry flies. I have three favorites. The first is an old 1971 vintage Phillipson DF76 Deluxe "Swamp Fox. The second is a first series model Diamondback "Diamondglass" 7'6" 3 weight. The last is an old but nearly new Cortland "Pro Crest" 7' for a 5/6. All three are great for delicate presentations but just as important they are just plain FUN to fish with. :-D

I'm interested in some of the longer, lighter weight glass coming out. They're starting to make 9' 5wts and things like that. I can't afford any of them yet.

98% of the water I fish is small to medium water. I never "high stick" so I haven't noticed problems with that. I rarely ever need to cast more than 50'. The Pine is the biggest water I fish. Ever. Glass is perfect for me.

I do have one graphite stick. It's a 9' 6wt. It was built by an elderly friend of mine in the late 70s, so graphite was relatively new. The action is slower than most of the graphite I've ever fished and it flexes right down to the cork. If I ever need a longer rod for bigger water, that's what I'll use.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I'm interested in some of the longer, lighter weight glass coming out. They're starting to make 9' 5wts and things like that.

http://lvlimestoner.blogspot.com/2013/02/south-fork-rod-company-c9052.html

the silaflex 022985 was 9.99 plus 4.50 to ship (package deal). when the 9052 goes back, the 022985 will go back into use.

I just picked one up as well. I can't wait to use it once the tomato plants get a little taller. :)

latest, McFarland S-glass 9'2" 5wt. tried it out the other night, pretty nice for swinging wets.
Haven't fished a graphite rod in 5 or 6 years, maybe longer, just not for my style of casting.

Attachments

• mcfarlandsglass (150x112).jpg
    mcfarlandsglass (150x112).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 3
bikerfish wrote:
latest, McFarland S-glass 9'2" 5wt. tried it out the other night, pretty nice for swinging wets.

The extra 2" makes all the difference. Like having speakers with a volume knob that goes to 11.

PennKev wrote:
bikerfish wrote:

The extra 2" makes all the difference. Like having speakers with a volume knob that goes to 11.

HA HA!!

I have this daiwa glass rod forget the size and weight got it at a flea market for 5 bux. Its a really sweet rod.

A lot of the modern amplifiers now have controls that all go to 12, in response to Spinal Tap; like my Holland. BTW, I also have an 8' 6" fiberglass rod (Orvis) that I built about 25-30 years ago. Where the heck did I put it? This thread got me to thinking about using it.

Back