Glass Nuke

SBecker

SBecker

So... You all have created a monster because now every fly I tie I am going to post to get feed back! lol Well After seeng someone post on here about glass nukes I decided to try it out. I do know I need to leave some room at the head of the fly and I fixed that on the pink one. Whatcha guys think?

Attachments

• Glass Nuke Yellow.jpg
    Glass Nuke Yellow.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Glass Nuke Orange.jpg
    Glass Nuke Orange.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2
  • glass nuke egg pink.jpg
    glass nuke egg pink.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 5
Looks good. Looks like you're fine in this area, but watch crowding the eye, especially when you're lashing materials down at the head.

Yea thats exactly what I am working on, Thanks Jay

Crowding the eye is tough to deal with. I'm a semi-new tier and am really focusing on it now, trying to break some bad habits.

Naw...I've been tying for decades and still crowd the eye. You learn to adapt and overcome!

I am almost done tyeing a reformed batch and I will post the new ones soon.

Here's the reformed batch, tried to clean up the eye.

Attachments

• mixed bad of crystal nukes.jpg
    mixed bad of crystal nukes.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Mixed bag of 3 nukes.jpg
    Mixed bag of 3 nukes.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 2
Every time I read one of your posts, it sounds like a Dodge rAM COMMERCIAL.

Shane - Get in the habit of pinching those barbs before you tie the fly.

Looks like I should have given you more egg veil. Let me know when you can stop by to pick up some materials - I'll make up a big ol' bag of stuff for you. I'd really like to see what you come up with by using hackle! You're gonna need a few more of those shoe boxes. ;-)

HA- I had to make a run out to Cabelas to pick up some lead yesterday. So While I was there I picked up some Hi-Vis, Walleye glass beads, and red or Salmon Estaz, just in case thats the hot color up on SR. Next week some time, I'll stop bye and do a pick up. :)

Keith--I don't understand what you mean when you say my posts sound like a Dodge ram commercial. I don't know if you are ribbing me or being nice. LOL

I like 'em! I'd be a bit more concerned with crowding the hook bend as hard body materials like glass obviously don't compress and will close off the hook "bite." The flies in the first photos look as if this could be a problem, however the lower pics show a wider hook gap which is better. Nice.

I'm a fan of Sam Elliott also. I'm sure you recognized his voice on the new Ram truck commercials. Hence my previous comment a while ago -" Hurts, don't it." , from Roadhouse.
My wife thought your avatar was mine.

fyi the eztaz colors that work best on the sr are pink and yellow.

tie the veil down and then fold it back and wrap over it. that will keep the eye clean

HuntinFool wrote:
fyi the eztaz colors that work best on the sr are pink and yellow.

I do best on blue and pink. I'd say to bring a large selection to be safe.

Those look pretty good. Another idea for the "egg" is to use hot glue, from a craft store. You can get solid color glue or some with sparkles in it, give the egg some nice flash.

H.A. ..........i agree , i've been tying decades and i also still crowd the eye , can't break the habit and pretty much gave up and resigned myself to the fact that i always need to poke the eye hole open a little before tying it on. Another GREAT peice of advice you give is to pinch the barb down BEFORE tying the fly , do it in the vice , it's easy and saves alot of frustration later when you break the bend off of a beautiful fly you tied and then tied on only to have the whole point break off on stream while trying to bend the barb down.........GOOD STUFFF H.A.

Guess I should have covered crowding the eye with Mr. Becker at his first tying lesson, but I didn't want him to go into "information overload". :lol:

There is a really good way to avoid crowding the eye:

When you start your thread base, wrap the thread on the hook shank right up to the eye, then unwind two turns. Don't go past this point on the hook shank until you're ready to whip finish the fly.

Works like a charm. :cool:

ant wrote:
Those look pretty good. Another idea for the "egg" is to use hot glue, from a craft store. You can get solid color glue or some with sparkles in it, give the egg some nice flash.

I've done some of these as a favour for someone.

You can buy coloured hot glue, both from craft vendors and from tackle vendors. You can also put a spot of hot glue OVER something, such as a nice red glass bead, to give it a great, translucent effect.

Also, the pile of glue drippings can be tied up as a pretty neat looking sucker spawn.

H.A. .............Don't go past this point is easy for you to say , but i always wanna get one more wrap of hackle out of those expensive necks , i just can't help myself.

Also, the pile of glue drippings can be tied up as a pretty neat looking sucker spawn.

That's a pretty good idea. I think that I'm gonna have to tie a couple of those up.

Back