Glade Squires

Rephrase:
I see a cutthroat holding a steelhead

Make no mistake, that is Glade Squires actual position on trout fishing in PA. As noted in the article he is one of the supporters of changing the regulations on Saucon Creek. there is a thread on here about the issue. One of the reasons our local TU, and State TU, have pushed so hard to resist changing the regs there is that it may serve as a proxy for doing so in other places. This is why it is SO important to make your voices heard to the PFBC. If you haven't commented to the PFBC on the Saucon Creek issue, we would appreciate your support. Even if you don't want to comment specifically on that issue, please let the PFBC know you value wild trout, clean water and everything that comes with it. It seems that the PFBC is adopting a "If we stock it they will come" mentality to increasing license sales, and I just don't buy it.

No post from FishTales on this thread?

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Rephrase:
I see a cutthroat holding a steelhead

Ah! Now I can definitely see it. ;-)

Glade Squires is a disgrace to the fishing community, he's also behind the bait fishing idea on Saucon Creek. I don't know who's backing him, but in my book he will set back fishing in PA 100 years.

Stop any talk of a license increase and you cut off funding for additional stocking. But you might also cut off funding for other purposes.

An #censor# like that gets into power, and it will simply force me to buy a license for WV, WY, CO,NM and MT. I will in no way shape or form, give another cent to the state of PA. Screw em!

But biker, think of all the kids with no where to fish because 3 guys want the park to be special regs....:roll:

I hear some legislator wants to get airbows made legal for hunting deer, (As if crossbows wasn't enough.) The manufacturers and PA Game Commission must love all these NEW and improved devices that need to be purchased and then special licenses bought. NONE of their ideas show any concern for the environment or sportsmanship or the animals involved....JUST $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! Gotta sell stuff! Airbow hunting for stocked trout on the Saucon could be next! Gotta utilize!

rleep2 said: This really is unfortunate, largely because due to the Commission's funding and longer term liabilites, they are more vulnerable to suggestions of this type from individual Commissioners. They are, after all, by necessity pushing very very hard to increase revenues through license sales. Given this, it becomes ever more difficult to fend off these sorts of proposals, which are framed as ways to make fishing more inclusive. The Commissioners themselves have always (in my memory at least) been a mixed bag in terms of their receptiveness to what I guess could be called the C&R/TU/wild trout way of managing our cold water fisheries. As regional representatives of the angling public, they get their ears bent constantly by folks who see things otherwise. To their credit, much more often than not, they leave the decisions at this level up to Fisheries Staff, which for the most part has been (with a little pressure-induced pragmatism here and there..) been pro-wild trout for as long as I can remember. So, a lot of the more goofy or potentially harmful proposals have died on the vine as a result. But the heat appears to be really on now... My view is that the best way we can ensure that our voices are heard as well as help the Commission stay on a more biologically rather than socially oriented course is to raise holy H on these issues as individuals. Repeatedly, make a nuisance of ourselves with everyone in a position of authority or influence so they know how we feel. To me, this means going beyond the Commissioners and engaging elected officials at the state and local levels. This is particularly true, IMO, when we are advocating for ways for the Commission to secure the funding it needs. If the Commission needs a piece of the state sales tax from the sale of fishing equipment, we should be badgering our state representatives unceasingly to make it happen. Or whatever else they may need within reason. The key to a future for the PFBC where a forward-looking balance between managing our fisheries as a resource and managing them as a commodity can be maintained is to do everything we know how to help lower the fiscal gun that is currently at their heads. In that sense, it isn't up to the work-a-day folks who staff the Commission or even the Commissioners themselves. It is up to us..
Salvelinus fontinalis said:
Best post on this thread

I totally agree. A very thoughtful, insightful, and realistic perspective on this issue.

On page 6 of the "Bait Fishing in Special Regs Saucon Creek" thread of this forum, post #84 contains the names of the commissioners and the address to send them your thoughts on supporting wild fisheries in Pennsylvania. Public comment does have an impact.

martinlf wrote:
On page 6 of the "Bait Fishing in Special Regs Saucon Creek" thread of this forum, post #84 contains the names of the commissioners and the address to send them your thoughts on supporting wild fisheries in Pennsylvania. Public comment does have an impact.

It does. I have seen tangible results from contact with politicians. The key is to keep the comments civil and well-reasoned. I know some folks will want to vent, but a rational opinion piece does a lot more good.

I agree, Six-gun. A civil, well-reasoned but persuasive piece will have the most impact. If enough people let the Fish Commission know their support for wild trout, we might turn this around. Some states have reduced stocking and seen wild populations thrive. We certainly have streams where this could happen.

I never even knew who my commissioner was until now when I looked it up. He seems like a reasonable enough fellow and his name is Leonard Lichvar. Maybe I'll send him a letter about the topic. Those short bios they post of course will not paint a bad portrait of anyone, however.

On a side note, I don't see how trophy trout regulations fishing for wild trout could be any more appealing in trying to attract people to fish the area. The opportunities are there, but in today's age a lot of people would rather be doing other things other than fishing. Seriously, it isn't like it is fly fishing only regulations. Any kid could learn a lot about the hobby by going out there and throwing spoons, plastics, hardbaits and the likes at the trout in the stream. It all ready seems like a perfectly good set of rules are in place on Saucon to me.

Yes, Lichvar is one of the commissioners who it appears did not support the proposal to start stocking the trophy area. In my letter I thanked him for his willingness to speak out against stocking the Saucon's trophy water.

martinlf wrote:
Yes, Lichvar is one of the commissioners who it appears did not support the proposal to start stocking the trophy area. In my letter I thanked him for his willingness to speak out against stocking the Saucon's trophy water.

Well if the commissioners' mext meeting isn't until July I will certainly write a letter to Len Lichvar expressing my concerns and views on wild trout. I will also express some concerns about a stream in my home county that has had the Class A section expanded yet is continued to be stocked. He will be thanked for this stand on the issue as well.

Len is the last of the wild trout advocates on the commission since Dr Bachman retired. Its him against the world. We are doomed.

That's pretty horrifying to hear. These guys need to look no further than the Western states to see what can come from curtailing stocking and letting wild fish thrive. Of course, there's a political angle involved with cutting hatchery operations. Nobody wants to see a lot of folks within that part of the PFBC get their walking papers, and the guy who votes for exactly that will get crucified in the court of public opinion (and likely put out of work himself).

Back