Giving Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
This blog is yet another to add to the growing list of great reads. There's the perfect balance of information presented, with the substance and homework part being the suggested readings. No easy button here! Kudos! :cool:

Last edited:
DaveKile
I always enjoy the opportunity to get together with friends and family over a holiday weekend. Like many households during a holiday weekend my place can get a little overrun with kids, dogs and the like. Coats on the ground, a TV blaring with no one watching it, empty cups strewn all over the place like frat house on a Saturday morning, and that is just from the adults. The post-turkey frenzy continues with the Black Friday shopping, movies and cookie baking madness into the weekend.

dwstream.jpg
I figured the best place for me to enjoy this post-tryptophan overload would be a quiet little brook trout stream. So I slipped out the side door and before I left offered an, "I'll be back in a while." There were some blank stares from the haze of flour and sugar dust in the kitchen. It was almost as if they didn't recognize the great turkey carver from the day before. Timing is everything in life so I jumped into my truck before a word was said.

I really enjoy the fact that Pennsylvania is blessed with an incredible diversity of streams. The many wilderness trout waters and Class A lists hold hundreds of streams and thousands of miles of water to explore. So I trekked off to one of these wild streams I had yet to visit and made a little time to satisfy some of my fishing hunger that had yet to be filled.

David Weaver and I explored a small stream in Centre County on our way to the Steelhead Jam the other week. The pictures in this post are from that day. Much like then I found a nice quiet stream. No one around and some fun small pools to explore. The air was cool and added to the loudness of leaves as I trekked through the stream bed. The quiet was rudely interrupted by the squirrels bouncing around looking for acorns among the fallen leaves. A couple of deer rubs and scrapes stood out in the woods with nice clear low sunlight coming from the south. A perfect day to be out in Penn's Woods.

wildbrookie.jpg
I moved from pool to pool with my 4wt rod and to my delight managed to catch a few small wild brookies with some wonderful coloring. Their appearance is always such a treat when you see them up close. Funny how some holes you think will hold all kinds of opportunity turn up nothing and other spots surprise you.

No special revelations to share, no Holy Grails uncovered, just a quick trip to a quiet stream on a nice day that sounds like a good place to visit again on December 26.

salmo
Great article. I am thankful for this site and its contributors. In the months I have been a member I have received much. Thanks to you and all of the generous people who provide insight, information and reasoned opinions.

Salmo

Last edited:
salmo
Great article. I am thankful for this site and its contributors. In the months I have been a member I have received much. Thanks to you and all of the generous people who provide insight, information and reasoned opinions.

Salmo

Last edited:
salmo

Salmo

Last edited:
salmonoid
I've tried to make it a tradition to have my Thanksgiving morning be time spent on a small local trout stream. It's worked well for the past four years. This year, the morning started off with sleet, and then turned to rain. The water was gin clear and low, but dapping a cone-head grizzled wooly bugger in front of likely hideouts brought some fish to hand. Its gotten to the point where I recognize some of the fish as repeat offenders, even more so when I look back over my photo stash for the year :)

Last edited:
salmonoid
I've tried to make it a tradition to have my Thanksgiving morning be time spent on a small local trout stream. It's worked well for the past four years. This year, the morning started off with sleet, and then turned to rain. The water was gin clear and low, but dapping a cone-head grizzled wooly bugger in front of likely hideouts brought some fish to hand. Its gotten to the point where I recognize some of the fish as repeat offenders, even more so when I look back over my photo stash for the year :)

Last edited:
salmonoid

Last edited:
gulfgreyhound
Nothing like some "me" time alone."God does not deduct from those hours alotted to man the time spent fishing"
:cool: GG

Last edited:
gulfgreyhound
Nothing like some "me" time alone."God does not deduct from those hours alotted to man the time spent fishing"

Last edited:
gulfgreyhound

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back