Giant Stoneflies?

F

Fishidiot

It seems to me - based on my entirely unscientific and sloppy trout stream rock rolling escapades - that stonefly nymphs are a bit more abundant down here in the southcentral part of the state than they were in years past. However, one bug I didn't see a single example of this year in PA was a giant stonefly. I'm referring to the very large, dark, round bodied nymphs commonly known as "salmonflies" out West. I believe the correct scientific nomenclature of the western bug is Pteronarcys califonica. The back east version here in PA is, I believe, P. dorsata.

Like many of you, these big stonefly nymphs are a go-to fly for me out West and have produced some memorable days for me - the Gunnison River one day in June a few years ago sticks out in my memory. I always have a few of the big nymphs in my box, but rarely use 'em here in PA. Most of my trout fishing and rock rolling is here in the SC part of the state and I have, in past years, seen some of these nymphs on my local waters (Big Hunting Creek has 'em along with some other freestoners).
I guess my question is: For those of you who search for and are interested in trout stream nymphs (hey, Old Lefty!) are you seeing this bug here in PA? What about different regions of the state? I think that larger species of stoneflies are more common in the northcentral part of the state. I'm amazed at the number of generic stoneflies under rocks in Penns Creek. But what about giant stoneflies?

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's one of these rascals I tied yesterday evening. Don't know if I'll tie one on in PA this year.

Attachments

• Giant Stonefly.jpg
    Giant Stonefly.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 12
Dave,

I also carry giant stones in my box. I use them on penns and BFC, but have never caught anything on them.

I am also curious about whether anyone can shed some light on this, as I'd like to fish them with confidence in PA.

I will say that they can be killer on steelhead, and I have hooked some of my largest fish with them.

Flybop has told me that he liked to fish a stone/PT combo at penns, especially in the winter. I plan to meet up with him for a beer or a short fishing trip next week, and will ask him his thoughts. I doubt he'll be near a computer for a while to answer himself.

Sweet bug.

could you post a recipe for it FI?

I will make some mini's I have never tied a stone fly. . . since I have only been tying 8 months. I am going to hit the vise hard this winter.

If the one in the avatar is a giant stone that was from the Catoctins. I saw a nymph in a Michaux stream. For 2009 that's it, but then I don't turn over rocks in small streams very much.

The one in the avatar I thought might be a dobson fly at first. So big and clumsy while flying almost scary, especially if they smack you upside the head.

On the old FFP board there were a couple of guys who swore by the golden stones for Penns, but I think it depended on the season. FFP has a woven nymph pattern in the archives you might want to check out.

I think the giant black stones are more popular in the larger streams in NE part of the state. That's from reading dated stuff, however, such as Schwiebert and an old pamphlet by Baylor (Pocono Hatches)

I have seen these in the last several years along the Sinnemahoning creek, east of Sinnemahoning. They may be upstream farther as well but I don't get up there often. The adults I see are identical to western salmon flies in appearance. Oddly enough I have yet to find a nymph or shuck along the creek. I see smaller shucks on many rocks but have never seen the big black nymphs I saw in Idaho.

I often see large goldens on Penns, and tend to use them instead of blacks.

I've seen your Giant stoneflies, mostly on smaller licks, mountain tribs and such...Adult activity seems to take place around 10:00pm or so...They're nite time bugs..Never fished them...Fish the golden egg-layers on Penns though, love it..

Both probally don't compare to the amount of hellgramites there is in penns

Miller,
You bet. This fly is easy to tie. Giant stones are, as the name implies, very large - typically up to 2" and are uniformely colored - a dark, charcoal gray, almost black.
HOOK: longshank streamer hook
TAIL: black goose biots
BODY: black or dark gray dubbing
RIB: black rubber larvea lace type stuff
THORAX: black or dark grey dubbing, picked out
LEGs: black rubber bands - double strand
WING CASES: trimmed from black razor foam (adult giant stones have distinctly shaped wing cases)
EYES: black bead chain
ANTENNAE: rubber bands - single strand

I had some luck steelheading with stonefly nymphs recently but used "normal" stonefly nymphs about an inch long. I would imagine larger ones like this would work well on steel. Penns is stupid with stoneflies but I have never seen one of these bugs there.

DGC,
I think the bug in your avatar is in fact a giant stone - neat. I too have seen 'em in that part of MD but I've never seen a real hatch of these bugs like is common out west. Maybe they are more nocturnal.

Tom,
I'm not surprised about the Sinnemehoning. Thanks.

we dont have them here, unless they are on the delaware. most stones you see are perlas, goldens, etc. There is a large black stone in some streams but is actually smaller than a golden. There are also LG. Olives here as well.

google up #OOPS# creek nymph and and look those over
since they are big nymphs you might find the rubber legs and hackle collar which seem to come alive in the water to be more effective than exact imitations.
I can't say about these stones but the ones I am familiar with actually crawl out of the stream,not emerge.

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/975/Stonefly-Pteronarcys-dorsata-American-Salmonfly
Pteronarcyidae

Salmonflies of Pennsylvania

Subfamily Pteronarcyinae
Knobbed Salmonfly (Pteronarcys biloba)
Spiny Salmonfly (Pteronarcys comstocki)
American Salmonfly (Pteronarcys dorsata)
Midwestern Salmonfly (Pteronarcys pictetii)
Appalachian Salmonfly (Pteronarcys proteus)

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/insects/sfly/pa/toc.htm

?????????

good link from Tom-remember -drag the bottom-During hatch time fish along stream bank as that is where they will be most concentrated.

i think the golden stones are a good attractor pattern for early fall -late summer , good attention getter for a tandem too

oh 1 other thing , i have been leaving the exclamation marks out of my posts - how about it JAY L ...lol

Fish,

Take a lantern and climb up some tribs at night; around 10ish or so, in the month of May..They'll find you, ha...

THANKS FI

I like those wing cases they look real distinct.

Minus the tail and wing case is basically a black wooly bugger.
Right?

I mean, in water that holds the giants would a black bugger do the trick?

Would a marabou tail do anything or be a cool idea for this?

Do you guys tie your WBs with legs like that or use the hackle?

this is why wooly worms work-try the rubber legs -front and back-
google up the #OOPS# creek nymph and go from there-
sell as many of them in the west as all other nymphs combined probably-lol
you can use solid color body.
oops-its an honest name and a good word but female canine nymph-lol

sundrunk,
I'll keep an eye out next time I'm walking at night with a light - evidently, you're right about their nocturnal emergence.

Tom,
Good link - thanks. Troutnut is a great website.

Pete,
"female canine nymph" - good recovery. :-D

On Penns I've seen trout actively taking stone dries in the very early am hours. And yes, they do tend to hatch at night (nocturnal drift) but this is not always the case. As for penns, the larger stones Ive noticed are perlas. Not so sure if the Giants are that prolific. A varigated stone fly imitation is a simple and extremely effective pattern on Penns.

One of the more amazing stonefly hatches I've seen was on the Upper D Memorial Day weekend years ago - was fishing just downstream of the Lordeville bridge. I was wading deep, it was raining and my rain coast was well submerged. This gave the stones an easy path right up and all over me. I was constantly picking them off my neck. The reason I was wading deep was to get to a pod of shad, that were eating the stones at a distance about as far out as a fly line length. It was unreal. Guys up on the bridge above, were shouting - - 'you're on' - - then next strip I was tight. The shad were eating the stones, and eating my yellow shad dart as well - - this went on for hours. I might never witness this again. Right place right time. Just like a saltwater blitz.

Upstream of the bridge that same day there were a couple of spin guys using stone nymphs as bait. They would kick them up, and using them to target trout. They too were landing shad. I guess the shad were dialed into the stones that day.

The Lehigh is filthy with stones of all shapes and sizes.

Back