getting skunked. need all your secrets.

S

somersetian

I've been chugging poppers, dragging crawdads and crayfish across the bottom, stripping streamers around structure high middle and deep and coming up empty. Been fishing early mornings, and evenings. I took my spinning gear with me yesterday and after a fruitless morning on poppers and streamers I bounced a worm off the bottom and hooked up maybe 4 casts in. I keep telling myself that its just because I am new to fly fishing for bass, and really never put much time to bass fishing in general but I need help. Whats your secret flies, techniques, leaders, tricks, weight anything your willing to share.

I've also had the experience of not doing well on the fly, switching to spin gear and hooking up much more frequently. It is frustrating, but I think it has a lot to do with the distance you can cast with a spinning rod.

One thing that makes a difference for me is paying attention to being stealthy when the water is low and clear. When wading, I have more luck when I move slowly and deliberately to a spot I want to fish, hitting that spot and moving to the next. I've been reading Clouser's book on river smallies and Ken Penrod's smallmouth book (mostly focused on spinning for them) and both of them emphasize casting to targets. Picking those targets can help the spook factor. Clouser talks about the importance of long casts for the same reason.

Along those lines, stopping my cast a bit high so I don't slam heavy Clousers or crayfish down helps me, too. Though I have had times when slamming poppers down is what they want. But if that's the case, you'll know it. I was listening to one of Tom Rosenbauer's podcasts on smallmouth and his guest, Colby Trow (2014 episode), talks about sometimes needing to "outslow" the other fishermen, just letting your fly drift with minor twitches. He also said he'll sometimes pop his popper after the initial splat and let it sit for 15 seconds before doing anything to it. That's something I haven't tried yet, but it's worth a shot. I'm usually too quick on the retrieve, I think.

I'm far from an expert at this, but those are some things that might help. Definitely tips I need to work on as well.

Check out the Orvis Podcast with Tom Rosenbauer, that one from 2014 is really good for smallies. Bob Clouser's river smallmouth book is also well worth the time. I'd also check out Eric Stroup's two-part video series on the Susquehanna with Bob Clouser. He gives some really useful tips.

So, do what you know works, but do it with a fly rod.

Take a fur leech or bugger (preferably darker colors..) and drift it along the bottom the same way and in the same places you would a night crawler or plastic worm. Keep in touch with the fly as you'll only have a second (at best..) to set the hook if there is a take and a lot of the takes can be subtle. Don't retrieve it or impart any additional action. Just get it down there close to the bottom and let it drift. Keep doing it. The fish will come...

RLeep2 wrote:
Don't retrieve it or impart any additional action. Just get it down there close to the bottom and let it drift. Keep doing it. The fish will come...

I'll second this. ^

What types of water and what type of bass are you targeting? River for smallies or maybe ponds for largemouths?

It sounds like you're doing the right thing. When bass newbies tell me they catch fish on conventional gear but can't get 'em FFing, my default expectation is that they aren't getting their flies deep or slow enough. The fact that you're having luck with gear proves you're targeting tghe right spots and the right depths.
Hhmmm. . .

Sometimes when I'm having a tough time catching smallmouth while wading,I use the same technique that I use when I'm nymphing for trout.Use a fly that resembles a hellgramite or a crayfish.Even a size #12 Princes Nymph can work
Doesn't always work,and maybe a poor choice in extremely low and clear water,but it has frequently turned things around for me.Worth a try IMO

If it's low and clear then try dropping your fly size down and go slow when wading. Some days it pays to go for a longer cast to a likely spot instead of physically trying to sneak up on it. Their takes can be very subtle and they'll spit your fly out before you can blink. Some days it seems like nothing works and other days it just takes time to figure what they want then the fun begins. Last week in Lancaster Central Park I started tossing nymphs and they were taking a simple fuzzy off white/cream colored hex type nymph in the morning. The fishing was good but then it just stopped. Took a while before I started tossing an unweighted sparsely dressed muddler . I prefer using something that rides hook point up in the park otherwise I constantly snag but the muddler on a fluoro leader only got 2-4" under the surface , staying above the rock. The fishing got good again , fish got a bit bigger and I fished the same the muddler until I left. It's not unusual for me to lose more than a few flies down there. I am sure they took the muddler for a fleeing crawfish as many of them had crawfish already in their mouth. I was lucky I stumbled across what worked by trying something different for me or it would have been a short day. Just keep at it and pay attention to what the available prey is in water you are fishing.

Here's my prevous post on Bass fishing:

Speaking of clousers and poppers, last Thursday I was out and got skunked on my clouser so I decided to work a Sneaky Pete popper on top. I had a smallie crush the popper and then it put on a real show. The smallie went air borne. If you get a chance to work a popper on the surface, you'll find that nothing beats the action of a bass taking a fly off the surface. It's really cool to watch.

Tonight I caught another one on a Sneaky Pete popper on top. Try this one close to dark. I use a chartreuse #2. I cast it 20 to 40 ft. I let is sit for few seconds then give it small twitch. Give it a few small twiches a few seconds apart. See how this works. I am taking lots of smallies fishing this way. Mt leader and tippet are about 7 to 8 ft in tolal. I am keeping it short with the smallies. Now is the perfect time to work the top.

Cheers,

Tie or buy a few murdich minnows (if you tie them, add a few wraps of lead to the shank). I also recommend some smaller crayfish patterns (sz 6 wooly buggers in tan or olive would do). I personally use those two flies for 80% of my Smallmouth fishing. But try different flies out and see which ones give you confidence.

I use the minnows around weed beds, snags, and water with medium depth and current which will have fish that will chase a minnow pattern. If I come upon deep pools, or fast water, I nymph them with crayfish patterns casting upstream or across stream. Just like with trout, it can be hard to detect strikes when nymphing, so watch for a flash in the water or a slight twitch of your leader/line.

Don't think that bass can't be caught in bright conditions either. Just this afternoon I caught two 17" fish that were at the heads of pools, with no overhead shade.

I think I should have been more specific, I'm getting skunked on my boat in lakes for largemouth bass. I bought the boat to take advantage of all the lakes that surround me during the summer when the trout streams are to low and hot to fish. I've had a little success on poppers, but that's about it. I actually always had good days going for smallies in rivers and streams, its just there isn't to many around me, the Casselman is the nearest and its a 40 minute drive and the wading and hiking is down right dangerous. I do appreciate all the advice though and will use it next time fishing.

Sometimes largemouths can be quite deep in lakes this time of the year. Not always, but it depends on the body of water. If you aren't fishing a sinking line you may not be able to get your fly to them effectively. I've often taken largemouths out of about 20 feet of water this time of year which is obviously much easier to do WITHOUT a fly rod, but the fly rod makes it for more of a challenge which I like.

Quit tryin' so hard and hold your mouth right! It'll happen. Fish ahead of the structure in current. Keep your fly in the water more - "fish it out" even if it's a bad cast. You can't fish an original Gray/White #6 Clouser Deep Minnow in a bad way. See below - my oldest son with his first fly rod Smallie (with a gray/white CDM of course) on Fathers Day this year.

1D958999-0EA0-451A-BA45-1913348F77F8.jpg

When all else fails cast line out and hold rod in one hand then while the line is drifting along break out your water bottle. Take long swigs and don't not pay any attention to your line, any decent fish in the area should come along very soon.

Back