Getting older as a FFer

afishinado

Staff member
I'm sure many if not most of us on here share these thoughts and feelings about how our fly-fishing has evolved and what our future will be like on the water. A really nice piece >

Indeed.

Fly fishing is a passion and like them my approach has changed.

Fortunate to have had great experiences and waded beautiful waters. Trying to check as many places and species off as possible while I am ambulatory and or alive.

There have been a few places I’ve fished far off across the country and thought , I’ll never find myself here again but low and behold I found myself back there in pursuit of a 6-10 inch trout. Hah.

My dad used to say partly in jest - you could get hit by a beer truck crossing the street. To quote another board member- Get out and do it, and do it now.

I think getting to those places hurts me the most. Not physically - but the having to go passed all the discarded trash on trails etc. Sunday I took an extra large garbage bag with me and took the shorter trail down to the creek. I filled it 3/4 of the way. Everything from aluminum cans to dog poop in plastic bags. I know the longer trail will be far worse as I walked it a couple of weeks ago and it looked like people were partying all the way to the creek.

As far as my fly fishing - i'm content with where i'm at ability and equipment wise.

Well -- at 70, I find myself thinking in similar ways to the guys in the video sometimes. I used to think it cool to brave the elements, but today, I mostly want to fish on nicer days and in spots that are not physically challenging. But, occasionally, I still go out on nasty days and fish in spots that, perhaps, I should not where a slip and fall might do me in.

Dylan Thomas wrote, "Do not go gentle into that good night."

Anyhow, nice little video.

Dad will be 98 at the end of the month, in 1966 he took my brothers and I up to Kettle Creek for the first time, We've been going annually since then, and plan to go in April. He taught us all how to trout fish, and you can bet he'll be hauling in a few himself.

laszlo wrote:
Dad will be 98 at the end of the month, in 1966 he took my brothers and I up to Kettle Creek for the first time, We've been going annually since then, and plan to go in April. He taught us all how to trout fish, and you can bet he'll be hauling in a few himself.

Now that's an impressive achievement.

laszlo wrote:

Wow!
Kudos to dad - still taking his boys to Kettle after fifty years.

It just goes to show you, it's more than just fishin.
At a different juncture but i can feel myself aging and thus what i do with in the sport for my comforts to still make it fun.

Suicide runs across the state on a 3 day binge are over .

I still catch my fish.
Im just more of a hunter now.

laszlo wrote:

Good for him and a blessing to those who fish with him. GG

Wow, 98 and still fishing! I hope to make it to that age.

Instead of running to the stream to "catch a fish", let's walk to the stream and catch them all. Paraphrasing an old punch line.

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed the watch and can relate. I used to leave the house at 3:30 am, drive to the Delaware, fish til dark and drive home arriving at 2 am. It's now getting harder to drive at night and those suicide runs are few and far between.

Wbranch probably knows the guy I'm about to mention. Older gent names Al that's fished the D for ever. I think he's in his 80's now. Swings a 3 weight on the big / windy system. He still gets around on foot, stays in one place all day, fishes only dries and put a dozen fish in the net 24" or better every year. We've adopted him and take him on floats now so he doesn't exhaust himself crawling around the river.

I am now 61 years young. My biggest change is that I now have two rod holders on my vest or lanyard and two wading staffs on my belt.

I am doing my best. Wading was a lot easier many years ago.

Krayfish2 wrote;

Older gent names Al that's fished the D for ever. I think he's in his 80's now. S

Hmm, I don't know of him but then I hardly know anyone up there after fishing the system for fifty-four years. I pretty much keep to myself and while I do chat with guys on the river I have a bad memory and seldom remember anyone I've met more than a few weeks.

I think it probably like most sports.

When you are younger you have the athletic ability to be successful.
However, as father time starts to reign you in, you rely more on skill and wisdom to be successful.

Youth is wasted on the young 🙂

Chas. M Wetzel dedicated his book Practical Fly Fishing to his Dad who
he said"at the age of 82 still wades the streams and fishes with a fly". That's from 1953 lesson learned. GG

Like many of you, I'm a serious outdoorsman who has aged into middle age and who focuses most of his outdoor time on FFing.

I don't have any unique insight on this but agree with those who have found that their angling trips are more moderate. In the 1980s/90s I didn't think twice about driving late into the night and sleeping in my car in winter weather. These days I'll still tent camp if the weather is nice, but prefer a decent hotel.

I also rarely care any more for fishing all day and much prefer half days on the water. My tolerance for cold is much diminished, but I can still handle winter days is smaller doses (was chasing muskies in windy, rainy, cold conditions the other day, but man it was miserable!) but the idea of being out in a boat for 8 hours this time of year has much less appeal.

On a side note but related note- a body in motion is a good thing...

Like many of you I'm mostly a sedentary desk jockey and getting outside to fish (or hike, or much of anything) really makes me feel better, both mentally and physically. The inevitable little aches and pains of middle age seem to disappear (mostly) when I'm fishing, especially if this involves significant walking, paddling, or other physical effort.

On the mental side - if joined by a fun fishing partner who is a good conversationalist - this is also a great way to ward off the negativity and psychological downsides of so much of contemporary American life.

We need to keep fishing as we get older.

In recent years, I stay inside too much. I miss the outdoors. I wouldn't know, but believe, that I would struggle to do what I used to do in the waters I've fished. I've actually crossed the Youghiogheny where at the deepest passage I was up to my nipples. Now, I think mid-thigh would be the best I could muster.

As stated above, getting outside and being active are good.

You don't have to fish to do that.

You can just go outside and go for a walk.

Most people live close enough to a park or public land or trail where you can go for a walk in a semi-natural setting.

Even in cities like Philly and Pittsburgh there are extensive park systems.

Back