Getting a new fly rod

WAY over thinking the simple hobbie of fly fishing. its the most simple of hobbies out there. but to each their own with all the rod talk.

to the OP from what you said in your first post....ANY 9 foot 5 weight will work for you. just pick one that is in your budget and go have some fun out there.

I have 2 Redington CT's, the 8'6" 4 weight and the 9' 4 weight.....both are sweet rods but the 8'6" is a little sweeter.

I plan to add the 8' 4 weight at some point, too. I have fished the 8'6" CT more than any other rod I own for trout.
Wow, you really like those 4-weight rods! I feel overloaded in 5 weights. I know you are in Mifflin County, so am curious is the 9 footer your Penns rod? If so, how does that throw a size 6 streamer or one of those big stoneflies?

Go to your closest fly shop. I am sure they will have some recommendations, plus you will be able cast the rod.
...but remember, the ultimate goal of a fly shop is to sell you something, so there may be bias towards certain rods. If the OP comes to my place I'll let him cast any number of rods besides my rare irreplaceable specimens. Yes, I have my own biases, but I am not motivated to sell a particular rod. I'll simply state my opinions of each rod and its price point, allowing the angler to find what is suitable for them.

I am considering getting a new fly rod and would love some input.

I want a rod that can handle big trout, cast far, has a backbone, but can also be used to nymph and still has the ability for delicate presentation. Right now, I only have a 7'6 4 weight that I like but I am trying to get into nymphing and get a rod that I can use on larger bodies of water. I kind of feel overwhelmed by the selection out there and haven't cast many fly rods so I am unsure what would be best for my plans.

Happy to hear any recommendations or thoughts as I want to make sure I am making a good investment, especially with the price of rods and reels these days.
I just got a Scott Centric 9' 7 weight rod...its a fast rod...and absolutely incredible...I've had an Orvis Recon 5 weight for years...to be fair its like a 2x4 compared to the Scott...Definitely an upgrade....they're not cheap...much more than the Recon...but absolutely fantastic fast action rod that casts like a weight down from its weight.

I just got a Scott Centric 9' 7 weight rod...its a fast rod...and absolutely incredible...I've had an Orvis Recon 5 weight for years...to be fair its like a 2x4 compared to the Scott...Definitely an upgrade....they're not cheap...much more than the Recon...but absolutely fantastic fast action rod that casts like a weight down from its weight.
I feel the same way about my Centric 6 Wt (now broken and in for repairs for the next 2 months).

Disclaimer: I don't understand much about fishing rods or fly casting but here's my two cents 😁

9' 5wt is what you're looking for. Good all arounder. Some get specialized for dry fly fishing or are better for streamer fishing but we'd want to stay away from those at this point.

Budget range:
Taylor Dynamic
Redington vice
Grey's lance

Budget/mid-price:
Grey's GR80

Mid/upper price:
Sage sonic

Top grade:
Orvis Helios 3F
Hardy Ultralight
Scott centric

In the used market, you might be able to find one of these for a great price:

Sage pulse
Sage one
Sage rp
Scott radian

BTW, if you find a sage method 690, PM me.... I'll buy it 😂

I'm not a huge fan of the VICE. My friend has a 4wt 10ft (currently out of commission with its second tip being broken) (take that for what you will). The second time that rod broke my friend told me he was just getting leader off of the tip. He fishes like a guerilla so I suspect he got mad at the rod and broke it during a tangle. He got to fish my new ESN because of that though as I had packed multiple rods that day for the highly technical stream I was fishing. I really despise the cosmetics on the Vice as it's irritatingly gaudy and cheap looking. I think it casts ok but seems to be relatively stiff, at least the 4wt 10ft is. It doesn't seem to offer a lot of feedback. I think if you are primarily streamer fishing this rod would be ok to have, but I wouldn't want to nymph or throw dries on it.

I'm not a huge fan of Redington as I find their longer rods to be exceedingly heavy. The same friend with the Vice bought a Path 7wt 10ft from one of our mutual friends that does the steelhead trips with us. Good God that thing is heavy!!! Like I'd put a 12wt reel on that puppy to get it to balance. Casts ok with that lag feeling I like when nymphing. That rod was initially bought due to certain Youtuber who is an outfitter for an angry river.

During last year's steelheading trip I temporarily swapped my H3D with a buddy's Redington. Don't know the model of the rod but it was also a 10 footer and felt quite heavy. I'm typically content to borrow rods to feel out for a bit but coming from my light-as-a-feather H3, the most redeeming attribute of that rod, I immediately wanted my rod back.

This isn't to say I hate Redington, just my observations. I think their rods casts ok, but some seem to be unbearably heavy, or maybe I am spoiled by modern high tech wonder rods. The are in the same group as SAGE so maybe they get some trickle down tech from the folks in Bainbridge Island in WA.

As for copping a Method 690, good luck. Methods in general seem to be popular again or maybe they never dropped from popularity? Look to pay a premium on these rods. Clean examples of these rods under $500 are a thing of the past. Always do need to have a red stick in the collection just to have it. Good hunting Kray!

WAY over thinking the simple hobbie of fly fishing. its the most simple of hobbies out there. but to each their own with all the rod talk.

to the OP from what you said in your first post....ANY 9 foot 5 weight will work for you. just pick one that is in your budget and go have some fun out there.

Go to your closest fly shop. I am sure they will have some recommendations, plus you will be able cast the rod.

Ain't it the truth...

Fly fishing has gotten WAY too complicated because there are at least 14,453,329 choices and double that number of opinions... ;)

I remember how easy it was to shop in the "olden days" when there were less than 10 options on everything and you just went into a fly shop or two, perused and bought was they offered. Despite owning WAY too much gear, it's no coincidence that the rods & reels I own are from less than handful of manufacturers. It's also no coincidence those BRANDS are what the shops I frequented sold.

Once I find something I like, I stick with it and resist the urge to try everything new that comes down the pike. I realize I may be missing out of something "better" but I also don't want to always be entertaining a solution looking for a problem...

I have always said there no such thing as a consensus amongst fly anglers and I guess the number of choices we have today bears out that theory. However the affirmation of that theory also means there are a lot of choices because "one man's meat is another man's poison." Bottom line, every rod out there has a few fans...

wcosner2:

If it was me, I'd take Boulder's & Kyle's advice to keep it simple, go to a fly shop or two, take a few 8'6" & 9'0" rods out for spin, decide what if anything you like about them and IF they are within your price range, close your eyes, pull the trigger and don't look back. If what you like is OUT of your price range, you will at least have a reference for comparison.

Ultimately, if the rod you choose meets your expectations and makes you happy...

...smile, enjoy, don't second guess yourself and DON'T ask anybody else what they think. ;)

Good luck in your search!!

Last edited:
Fly fishing has gotten WAY too complicated because there are at least 14,453.329 choices and double that number of opinions... ;)
How can you a fraction (.329) of a choice? Are we getting into quantum physics here?

Typo, should have been 14,453,329 (which makes me look stupid)...

...however I JUST edited my post and corrected it (making your reply look even stupid-er). ;)

Only joking of course... :)

Once I find something I like, I stick with it and resist the urge to try everything new that comes down the pike. I realize I may be missing out of something "better" but I also don't want to always be entertaining a solution looking for a problem...
I tend to stick with a select brand and choose stuff within that brand. This helps to narrow down the search quite a bit. That's not to say I won't branch out and try something new, but I am content with the brands of rods I own. If I try something in a fly shop or from a friend and I really like it, I may consider purchasing it.

I primarily buy things for aesthetic reasons, as in a certain rod just seems to pair well with a certain reel, so I will get said items or one item if I already have one component I like.

I tend to stick with a select brand and choose stuff within that brand. This helps to narrow down the search quite a bit. That's not to say I won't branch out and try something new, but I am content with the brands of rods I own. If I try something in a fly shop or from a friend and I really like it, I may consider purchasing it.

I primarily buy things for aesthetic reasons, as in a certain rod just seems to pair well with a certain reel, so I will get said items or one item if I already have one component I like.

My fly reel collection is represented by six companies, excluding custom rods my fly rod collection is represented by three manufacturers, fly lines by two, tippet material used to be two now it's one and I only buy fly hooks from three.

In my case this dumbing down was intentional because like other things I enjoy; wine, spirits, craft beer and cigars, the number of choices is just overwhelming and it easier to be happy where I'm at than to wonder...

I'm not a huge fan of the VICE. My friend has a 4wt 10ft (currently out of commission with its second tip being broken) (take that for what you will). The second time that rod broke my friend told me he was just getting leader off of the tip. He fishes like a guerilla so I suspect he got mad at the rod and broke it during a tangle. He got to fish my new ESN because of that though as I had packed multiple rods that day for the highly technical stream I was fishing. I really despise the cosmetics on the Vice as it's irritatingly gaudy and cheap looking. I think it casts ok but seems to be relatively stiff, at least the 4wt 10ft is. It doesn't seem to offer a lot of feedback. I think if you are primarily streamer fishing this rod would be ok to have, but I wouldn't want to nymph or throw dries on it.

I'm not a huge fan of Redington as I find their longer rods to be exceedingly heavy. The same friend with the Vice bought a Path 7wt 10ft from one of our mutual friends that does the steelhead trips with us. Good God that thing is heavy!!! Like I'd put a 12wt reel on that puppy to get it to balance. Casts ok with that lag feeling I like when nymphing. That rod was initially bought due to certain Youtuber who is an outfitter for an angry river.

During last year's steelheading trip I temporarily swapped my H3D with a buddy's Redington. Don't know the model of the rod but it was also a 10 footer and felt quite heavy. I'm typically content to borrow rods to feel out for a bit but coming from my light-as-a-feather H3, the most redeeming attribute of that rod, I immediately wanted my rod back.

This isn't to say I hate Redington, just my observations. I think their rods casts ok, but some seem to be unbearably heavy, or maybe I am spoiled by modern high tech wonder rods. The are in the same group as SAGE so maybe they get some trickle down tech from the folks in Bainbridge Island in WA.
My post included a disclaimer that points out my lack of knowledge for fly fishing and gear. I'm just here to make friends but it hasn't worked in 10 years

If I ever come across a used Scott Radian….What a great rod. Wish I owned one.

Back