Getting a new fly rod

wcosner2

wcosner2

I am considering getting a new fly rod and would love some input.

I want a rod that can handle big trout, cast far, has a backbone, but can also be used to nymph and still has the ability for delicate presentation. Right now, I only have a 7'6 4 weight that I like but I am trying to get into nymphing and get a rod that I can use on larger bodies of water. I kind of feel overwhelmed by the selection out there and haven't cast many fly rods so I am unsure what would be best for my plans.

Happy to hear any recommendations or thoughts as I want to make sure I am making a good investment, especially with the price of rods and reels these days.

depending on budget, you might consider a 6wt to complement your 4wt. I'd say something 8.5 feet - 10 feet.

For trout, I typically just fish a 7-> 8.5ft slow to moderate action rod. I have a faster 4wt which could throw nymph rigs.

I guess the questions is, bigger water or bigger fish? How windy? The size of the water matters less, as really your should try to get closer to the fish for trout.

You might consider also like a hardy ultralight 5wt, I have a 8.5ft 4wt which I like a lot. Here's a review of that rod: https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/hardy-ultralite-10ft-5wt-fly-rod-review/

I'd recommended trying the rods first, as it's easy to go and spend money on rods without really adding functionality to your quiver.

Last edited:
I would not suggest going from a 9ft 4wt to a 5wt 9ft (if you only have 2 rods) , since its not that big of step up. however, the difference between a 4wt 7.5 ft and a 5wt 9 ft is a significant. I agree a 9ft 5wt is hard to beat. I can't recommend one over another, but you should expect to pay 250 and up for a quality rod.

I want a rod that can handle big trout, cast far, has a backbone, but can also be used to nymph and still has the ability for delicate presentation. Right now, I only have a 7'6 4 weight that I like but I am trying to get into nymphing and get a rod that I can use on larger bodies of water. I kind of feel overwhelmed by the selection out there and haven't cast many fly rods so I am unsure what would be best for my plans.

Happy to hear any recommendations or thoughts as I want to make sure I am making a good investment, especially with the price of rods and reels these days.

Handle big trout: Most rods can handle big trout.
Has backbone: So, flexes in the upper 30% of the blank?
Also be used to nymph: What style of nymphing? Euro/tight line/contact nymphing usually uses a specialized taper and a 3 or 4 wt line standard.
Still has the ability for delicate presentations: This pretty much rules out a 6 wt and euro nymphing rods.

As JeremyW mentioned, your budget is a variable.

I agree with nympingmaniac. Even a very fast 5 wt (functionally a 5.5 or 6 wt) may be a big jump from your current rod.

I bought a Douglas Sky G 9' 5 wt. It does everything you mentioned very well. It's easy to load in close but casts 60' with ease. The accuracy is amazing! And, it's very light in the hand. I think this rod's medium-fast action is less of a jump from a 7'6" 4 wt.

Orvis Clearwater rods are a great value if you want a more budget-friendly option. I'm using a 9' 7 wt for bass and really like it. It's not an NRX+, but it's about a quarter the price of the NRX+. I assume this value translates to a 5 wt. Reviews seem to agree with that.

Dear wcosner,

A long time ago in a land far, far away 5 and 6 weight rods were considered standard trout rods.

Modern graphite rods have changed things a bit, but they are still versatile fly rods for trout. Like several others have suggested a 9' 5wt would offer a step up from your current rod and allow you fish bigger waters more easily. The additional 1 1/2 foot in length makes mending and line management easier on bigger waters.

The only thing that I would add is that if you see yourself definitely moving to fishing bigger waters on any given day is that you might want to consider a 9' 6wt. The main advantage is its ability to handle larger flies like weighted streamers. The extra jump in line weight will also allow you more easily cast larger flies for smallmouth and largemouth along with other warm-water fish.

You have many choices at many price points no mater which way you go. There are also used rods that can be had by buying through this board or even the dreaded Ebay. You can step back a generation or two from the latest and greatest and still get a fine rod at a fraction of its original price.

Good luck in your search!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

OP, I need more info on what exactly you intend to do with the rod and the locations/environmental conditions you are expecting to encounter with this rod.

I have quiver of high end rods because I like their light feel and good accuracy and casting characteristics.

For me, my ultimate all-rounder rod is a G. Loomis Asquith 4 wt 9ft. This rod has a ton of power but is able to cast pretty delicately. I find this rod really excels in long range dry or dry/dropper delivery. Such a beautifully intuitive rod, very surgical. Yes, they are pricey, this is the premier rod offered by Loomis along with the NRX+. I think you'd really enjoy it if you got one. I really like it's cosmetics too with its dark green oily textured look that is unique to this rod. It has a very mature, almost Winston-like look to it and I love the way Asquith is written on it (though I'd wish they would have avoided stamping Shimano on it). It has a nice glossy bamboo insert, though I wish the surrounding hardware wasn't gray. I don't know what color I'd choose but I'm tired of seeing boring gray reel seat hardware, pick a different color shall we? Yes, it also throws bobbers quite well and I theorize it would toss a light streamer pretty well. I have found that Scientific Anglers MPX 5WF-F works astoundingly well on it though the Cabela's Prestige 4WF-F also casts well on it too. I will probably switch over to the Prestige line because I think the orange fly line looks better on it and offers a better contrast between line color and rod color (yes, this is important, leave me alone!). My favorite fishing with this rod is blasting Chubby Chernobyl's across farm ponds to unsuspecting bluegill (my "permit" fishing).

I am also very impressed with my Hardy 6wt SR 9'6". I really like this rod as it's similar to the Asquith in some regards but with more power and it does not fish in close well, and I have bumped a lot of fish with it. In heavier fishing applications it really excels. This is more of a true all-rounder in that it can fish a nymph rig, toss a streamer, even with an intermediate or sink tip line.

The reel seat is sourced from Japan. The same insert material is used in Lexus steering wheels. I have the 5wt. Great big river rod. I bought a demo model at a great discount when the retail price of the rod was 1000.00. Now I see them for 1150 or 1200.00,

Thanks all for the replies! It seems like a 9ft 5wt is the way to go. Especially if I am looking for something versatile.

I would not suggest going from a 9ft 4wt to a 5wt 9ft (if you only have 2 rods) , since its not that big of step up. however, the difference between a 4wt 7.5 ft and a 5wt 9 ft is a significant. I agree a 9ft 5wt is hard to beat. I can't recommend one over another, but you should expect to pay 250 and up for a quality rod.
I'm in the 9' 5wt camp as a good next addition to your quiver. Reasonable price point 9-5 rods you may want to consider are the greys GR80 (check Sierra) or the Taylor Dynamix. I have both of them in 9-5 and IMO they both outperform their $199 price point.try to get your hands on one of them.

I have cast the Dynamix. It is a excellent rod for 199.00. Much better than its price. Taylor Fly Fishing has a 30 day return policy if you dont like it. But you will.

I also support the notion of the Taylor Dynamix. Taylor is a pretty solid company and the company owner knows a lot about rod design. I had one of their T-1 reels and it felt pretty solid, though the hydro-dipping left a bit to be desired (it's no Abel). Should have hung onto it as it balanced well on one of my glass rods.

Another lower cost rod I enjoy is the Fenwick Aetos. I was lent one last year to fish and it was a pretty good feeling stick. It tossed a half inch Oros indicator with ease. Tossing that is a good evaluation of how powerful that rod is. I think it's a pretty good looking rod too with the blue that is on it.

They're hard to find now but if you can find a SAGE VXP 5wt 9ft you may enjoy that rod quite a bit. I owned one from July 6th of 2018 until Jan of 2020. It's a pretty solid and smooth rod to cast that is pretty forgiving. Gorgeous color too. My only complaint with that rod was I didn't think think the light gold reel seat hardware jived with the silver wraps of the rod. Just a cosmetic complaint with that rod. I have a buddy, who originally traded me that rod, who has a VXP 6wt and 10wt, both 9ft.

For expensive, I'd try an Orvis Helios 3D 9ft 5wt. Pretty stellar rod that is very light and accurate. Not the best rod to nymph with but if you wanna do long range dry/droppers and some light streamer work it would be a good tool for that. I know the H3 is a lot of money but I'd say worth it if you can find one used as they don't seem to hold up well with resale value (probably because they're ugly), I just bought another H3 for a little over 500 bones and it was practically new (a steal!). I don't think the H3 is worth near its asking price, I'd be hard-pressed to pay $650 for one. If I was gonna drop A LOT of money I'd just get an Asquith or Winston, heck I scored my Asquith at close to 50% off when I required mine on May 7th of this year, but it was a bit dirty when I got it and someone took a grinder to the reel seat back plate, but overall a very functional rod and since I was going to buy it to fish it and not simply collect it for cosmetic reasons I wasn't that concerned with the condition because I am going to dirty it up myself. My overall opinion of the H3 is so so. Having had 8 of them (down to four now) it's been a rough ride with occasional love such as with my newly acquired H3F 3wt 8'4", which after lawn casting it Sunday night into Monday morning, I think is absolutely honey, and hatred for such rods as the H3F 9ft 6wt, which to date has been the most pathetic example of a 6wt I have casted (no balls on that rod!).

Overall I know that I am perceived as a rod snob, and that is something that I am, I just look at a rod for what it is, and judge it based on its price point and casting/fishing merits.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, the Redington Classic Trout rods have a lot of fans.

Buy a quality used 9' 5 wt.....then if you fall in love with nymphing (gasp), you'll still have money leftover for that trendy 10-11' 3 wt.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, the Redington Classic Trout rods have a lot of fans.
The CT is a good rod too and I know of a forum member, @jifigz, that fishes one. Think his is the 4wt 8'6" model which was the same model I had casted back last summer when I fished the Aetos 5wt. I found that that CT roll-casted well on SA WF fly line. I tossed a bugger around with it. Barring lightness, connectivity, and accuracy, that rod was not far off from my H3F in the same configuration, a rod I may put up for sale because I may never reach for it again after buying my H3F 3wt 8'4" (want that one OP?). I think the CT is a good looking stick too with its dark red color. I'd probably put a SAGE 500 series reel on one if I owned one, even though that reel is substantially more expensive than the rod. I think the brown reel on the dark red blank would pair nicely.

Overall with rods user proficiency will always trump a better rod, and sometimes the high end rods aren't the correct tool for the job. The main advantage modern day high end rods is lightness of weight. This helps when fishing all day. The performance gains are marginal and really only ever recognized after fishing said rod for a prolonged period of time. I find the attributes of higher end rods pleasant and worth my coin. It is ultimately up to you OP, to decide the best rod for your intended application and choosing a rod that fits in your budget. Best thing to do is to go test out a bunch of rods and determine what you like/what. That information will be far more beneficial than what some random person on the internet tells you.

I have 2 Redington CT's, the 8'6" 4 weight and the 9' 4 weight.....both are sweet rods but the 8'6" is a little sweeter.

I plan to add the 8' 4 weight at some point, too. I have fished the 8'6" CT more than any other rod I own for trout.

^From the horse's mouth...

As far as lighter line rods, I am definitely into my H3F 3wt 8'4", which may be the smoothest H3 I have casted/owned yet. As far as 8ft rods go my Douglas Upstream 3wt 8ft is just such a joy to cast with (to me) as much feel as a glass rod and it always accompanies me on lawn casting tests as a treat when I am done testing rods. I suspect this rod will be super-sensitive and fun to catch fish on. I envision myself smacking a lot of bluegill on it using chubby Chernobyl ants.

I still like like my H3F 4wt 8'6", and it was my most fished rod in 2020 (this was before my massive gear binges in 2021). I just don't fish it anymore as I have replaced it with my Asquith 4wt 9ft rod, which is IMO a superior rod to that H3 in every possible way. It may be time to part with my H3F 4wt 8'6".

Go to your closest fly shop. I am sure they will have some recommendations, plus you will be able cast the rod.

Back