Getting a "good" rod for 300ish?

Wildfish

Wildfish

I have a few cabelas/bps rods that I've been able to make work for me. One in particular, an 8' 5 weight that is overlined, has really come into its own. However, these are just too stiff and heavy for the kind of brookie fishing I like. So I'm going to start trying out some 3 weights and put together a set up I can be happy with for a while.

That said, here are my concerns. 1) can a 3 weight handle 12-14" browns without stressing the fish? Some of the brookie water I fish has a few browns prowling around. Since I've never fished a 3w I don't know how they perform with a decent sized fish on.

2) Are the boutique brands as technologically sound as the mass market stuff? I've been looking at Mystic rods, for example. They look great and get stellar reviews, but for $350 is something like that going to perform as well as a sage flight for less money?

So here's what I'm looking for: 3w (but this is flexible) with a medium action. Probably short, but I'd have to see how each specific rod loads. I really like how winston's cast, for example. Something with a decent warranty, and something I can try in a shop. Looking to spend around 300-350 on the rod.

Final question, I also like the echos. How do your suggestions compare to the lower priced echos?

Thanks as usual!

I think general consensus 'round here is you're doing it right, and that an overlined 5wt is better than a wispy little 3wt, furthermore, a cheap rod you'll beat on is preferably to an expensive rod you won't.

I've handled some pretty big Tully carp on a 3 wt and took my biggest brown ever in Spring Crk on it. The rod materials can handle it if you've got the tippet strength and work the fish to bring him to net quickly.

I sold a St Croix Legend Ultra 7'6", 3wt not too long ago. Sweet rod but I never used it. That's a nice little stick that would bring you in $100 under budget. Warranty is great. Look on ebay for the old Sage LL models. I have the previous model 7'9" 3wt that I've used since 84. 3 new tip sections and it's still smooth as silk.

Wildfish,

I got a great deal on a Sage TXL blank 7'10" 3wt...great small stream rod and bought that to build. During my research into light rods I ran into this rod that was highly recommended to me.

http://www.rajeffsports.com/echo_2fw.php

It has two tips, med fast and fast, and looks like a great rod for small stream fishing. I recommend you put it on your list and see if you can try one out before buying. Good luck in your search.

I have an older "Sage" DS2 8 1/2' 3 weight that I fish with ALOT in the summer when the water gets low and clear. I fished it yesterday on Spring Creek. Caught a beautiful 18" brown, my largest wild trout ever. No problem at all. The smaller rods are FUN! When I released him he took off like a rocket no worse for the wear. I agree with sightnymph. The materials can handle a bigger fish. The weak point in the system is the tippet. Don't hesitate to buy a 3 weight, they can handle a decent trout. I have caught many trout in the 12 to 15 inch range with this rod. I would check out Sage and/or St. Croix to see what they may offer that may fit your needs. Good Luck.

Clearwater 2 7'6 3wt is a sweet rod!

I got an albright GP 7'6" 3/4wt this year and love it. For $45 who wouldn't. I've used it for some small streams and it is great. I overlined it and it really casts pretty well. I'd buy that, a reel for 50-100 and spend the other money you have on other equipment... maybe a steelhead rod for the JAM in november!

When you're brookie fishing, do you normally fish big wind resistant flies like humpys? If so, you'll be surprised at the effort it takes to turn them over with a 3 wt vs a 5.... especially if that's what you've been fishing with. If you plan on doing some test casting, tie on one of your flies to see how it performs. There's a big difference between throwing line and line with a fly on the end when looking at smaller rods.

Wildfish,

Check out this guy's stuff. He's built me 3 rods, a couple for jadaddy and another guy from here got a reel off of him. All happy and he does nice work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINT-Orvis-Superfine-Tippet-fly-rod-7-1-2-foot-3-wt-/220658602394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

http://cgi.ebay.com/St-Croix-Avid-Fly-Rod-6-1-2-ft-4-pc-4-weight-FREE-LINE-/190348582072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat604919&id=0079906320648a&navCount=4&podId=0079906&parentId=cat604919&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

FYI / UPDATE: The Legend Ultra rods are no longer in the bargain cave for $210. Back to the regular $330 price.

try ELKHORN fly rods. nice product and reasonable prices. Really like mine.

Thanks everyone. I've added to my list and will try to get to see some rods in person. The problem is finding multiple brands at the same shop to compare side-by-side. Anyone suggest a place in State College? I'm trying to plan a trip out that way for mid-september.

8' 3 wt is an excellent rod in my opinion. I use a Winston WT 8' 3wt for a lot of my dry fishing and have had no problems playing, landing and releasing nice sized browns on it. While I disagree with Gfen on the application of a 8' 3wt, I do agree that a less expensive rod is a great brookie rod. I have a 7'6" 3wt that was around $100 that I use for off the beaten path, brushy situations. If you find yourself in those situations frequently, then I would suggest a lower cost rod that has an "easy" warranty. By that I mean, I would not buy a Sage or Winston that requires $50-60+ to repair a broken rod, which will likely happen when you snag a tree on back cast and then try to load the rod, trip over brush, etc. Depending upon where you are located, I would think a Cabelas or Orvis with their warranties would be of benefit if you are doing rougher fishing.

Don't disagree with me, I like little rods 'coz they're more fun. But, I'm also not fishing little brooks overshot with rhodo and trying to huck bushy flies.

The last couple threads on this seemed to lean more towards faster rods in heavier weights.

Sorry, re-read. I see you were given general consensus for the group rather than your own opinion. Then we agree. 3wt are fun. Don't use expensive rods for bush hogging.

Not quite whispy but my new St Croix Ultra 8' 4wt was laying on my front steps today. Whhhheeeeee. Let's see if I can avoid the lightning out there.

Someday, I'm going to end up with something between 000 and 1. I just won't know what to do with it.

Check out the used glass/graphite rods at www.codella.com. He's got some pretty nice rods inexpensively priced and if you break it, so what.

There are plenty of people who disagree with me, but there's a big difference between your standard 3 and 4 wt rods. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but a 4wt is a man's rod and can perform well in most fishing applications.

Other than fishing dries, small buggers or light nymph rigs, a 3wt is less than ideal. That said, my Echo 7.5ft 3wt is a fun rod and I enjoy fishing it, but even on small streams I'm often left wishing I had a 4wt in my hands when the fishing doesn't go as planned.

My advice, spend $50 on a 7.5 ft 3wt and $250 on a 8-9ft 4wt.

I will second bam’s advice. A 3wt rod is really a specialized rod best suited when delicate, short casts are needed with smaller flies in low wind conditions. If you have to get the line speed up to compensate to wind or larger flies you’re really defeating the whole purpose of using a 3wt rod. For smaller, confined space streams I use an 8’, medium action 4wt rod and for all other streams I use a 9’ medium action 5wt rod. My 8’ medium action 3wt rod sees little action and it is a nice rod to fish.

If fishing small, confined space streams and need a shorter rod at a very reasonable price, the 3wt Temple Fork 7.5’ Professional Series (fast action) over lined with 4wt is a nice rod. TFO also makes a 4 and 5 weight in 7’-9” length in the Finesse series, which are really nice rods for the money (medium-fast action).

The 2 previous posts make me feel like a dummy for using a 3wt as my main rod for 10+ yrs. Everything from #2 sculpins to #24 tricos on the thing.

Interesting thoughts. Since I mostly fish very small streams with very short casts I figured a 3w should be a great go-to dry rod. But it might make more sense to step it up to a 4w. I just want to get a lighter presentation than my 5w, which is overlined so that it loads for short casts. Perhaps a med action 4w with 4w line would be a better option--at least then I can fish with a little breeze.

Back