Get schooled……..Get spooled JAM 9/28 – 10/5

krayfish2

krayfish2

PAFF gathering in Catskills starting September 28 and lasting a week. Cool crisp nights, beautiful fall foliage, deer, bear, eagles and maybe even a few trout. Fishing is hit or miss toward the end of the season but when it’s good, it’s very good.

If you always wanted to learn about fishing that area but felt lost on where to go or what tactics to use, you may benefit by spending a little time with our group. Over the last 9-10 years, our core group has taken Castkill newcomers all over the area and for hundreds of miles in floats. Some loved it and became regulars while others learned that it’s not their cup of tea and prefer smaller brookie stream fishing.

Weather can vary from short sleeve to sleet. Hatches will range from non-existent to near blanket intensity. Insects you can expect: end of summer stenos (varied colors and sizes), ISO (#14), olives (#16 - #24), autumn sedge, October caddis.

Lodging suggestions: Upper Delaware River Inn, Smiths Colonial, Delaware River Club, West Branch Angler. Camping at BeaverDel and Peaceful Valley.

My actual time to fish this year has been very little so what follows might sound selfish to some….. While I do want to help others learn about the area, I don’t know if I have it in me this year to take on the challenge of a newbie. If you can’t throw it 35-40’ and hit your spot 7 out of 10 times, practice for next year. If we use boats for fishing, you should be able to help load, unload and row as needed. We try to get everyone equal time on the oars and in the front of the boat.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Attachments

• a24.JPG
    a24.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 10
I'm in for at least the weekends. Will try to figure out how to get a day or two off from work during the week.

Dave,
PM reply sent.

Mike,
You need to get sick...just like last time. Start grooming it Wednesday at lunch with 7 trips to the can before 3pm. LoL

Already figuring out how to do it... Hoping for a lot of rain the next few weeks sure would like to see more of the system floatable. Been up most weekends since the and of april and havent floated in 2 months.

Go - If you have never fished with these guys it is an experience. The hospitality and fishing is off the charts. These guys are the bomb and fish really hard. Oh and the fish are bastards !

Wish I had the time

I have a lot of experience on the Delaware but know that I am not the best fly caster. I haven't been there since they late 1980's-early 1990's.

Way back then, I could catch trout with my lack of fly fishing casting proficiency and have even caught them on Mepps spinners and Rapala floating plugs. I am sure that those days are long gone.

Is this something that I could rekindle my memories again? I am very good at doing what guides tell me to do.

Someone please get a pic of my Brown we lost at the net, which took me into my backing, I kid Kray. We need a pic of that beast. Have fun whoever goes, some of my best trips ever.

Booked three nights up there from 9/30-10/3. Looking forward to some fun with you guys up on the Delaware.

Norm,
Wish we could have landed that big boy. It was all good til the fish got close and saw you standing there in the bacon suit. LMAO.

In spite of last night's 30-3 beat down, yinzers will still make it (DaveS and Pittsburgh Don). If you fish with them, feel free to wear your Ravens jersey. Myself, D Kyle, stimey, moon, flyswatter and his buddy, Brooklyn Morgan and of course..... Cosmic Frank. Very special guest driving in from Connecticut to fish..... Spicoli !!!!!!!!! Between Frank and Spicoli, this should be very entertaining.

Spicoli is out. New job starting on September 24. That stinks because he is a real character and very intense about fishing.

Sounds awesome!

Wish I could fit it in, but that week is just too crowded for me (dang!).
Post a bunch of pics and stories.

We are about a week out and the exceptionally dry spell continues. Fortunately, the overnight temps have gotten into the 40's which helps the water temps greatly. The forecast shows little rain predicted so we could be facing some very low / clear water just to help rachet up the difficulty a bit. It also appears that the weather will warm to well above normal temps early next week before dropping back closer to normal around mid-week (highs of 62-68 and lows of 45-55).

We may be at the mercy of those controlling the outflows. Things look decent and the insect activity is starting to improve as the weather cools.

Since it's been abnormally warm, doubt that we'll get too much color in the mountains at the fall colors might be pushed back a week or two.

Looking forward to it.

where are you guys staying?

Dave K is staying at the former Laurel Bank motel. I believe two guys are camping over at peaceful valley on the upper east, moon is staying at his camp on the upper east and the rest of us are staying at Frank's house in deposit

Pulling the pin on this grenade at 4:59:59. Looking forward to seeing everyone. If I could pick and choose what the conditions I'd like....what we are getting is at the opposite end of the spectrum. I know how to shine up a turd though. Safe travels to those coming.

FISH ON!!

What happened to you guys?!?....

Schooled....Spooled.....Fooled.....or Ruled? (by the River)

Well, EB was flowing like a garden hose, the WB was cranking out mud that impacted the clarity all the way past callicoon. Fish were caught but you had to work extra hard / get lucky from time to time. I believe Dave is doing a write up about the marginal experience. LoL

Nice write-up on the homepage Dave. I wish we would have had a little better conditions and could have got you on some more fish but I'll get you up there again. You can even score with those rainbows. Maybe I should have prepped you a little more of that they make several runs before they finally give up but they are a handful. Thanks again for coming up

That is the strangest looking rainbow

Back