Georgia fly fisherman could use some help

G

Georgia

Hi everyone I could use some help, I'm in New Jersey for another 2 weeks for work and would love to fly fish somewhere in eastern Pennsylvania. I have no idea where to go or what streams are open now. Im not asking for anyones's honey hole just some public water to enjoy. I'm loaded with gear and would really love to get on some Pennsylvania water this weekend. Thanks for helping a Southern boy out

Hey, Georgia, you picked a good week to be in these parts. I have attached the PA fish commission's map link. Search by county. For example, Chester County has at least 3 special regulations streams that are open to fish right now, and at least one well known class A wild trout stream. All will be pressured with everyone off and the nice weather, but I would be doing the same if I was in Georgia this week (though maybe chasing bass!).

http://fishandboat.com/county.htm

Georgia wrote:
Hi everyone I could use some help, I'm in New Jersey for another 2 weeks for work and would love to fly fish somewhere in eastern Pennsylvania. I have no idea where to go or what streams are open now. Im not asking for anyones's honey hole just some public water to enjoy. I'm loaded with gear and would really love to get on some Pennsylvania water this weekend. Thanks for helping a Southern boy out

Trout season is currently closed. However, you can visit a "special regulation" trout stream (of which there are many in PA). These waters are open to fishing on a catch and release basis. You will need a nonresident fishing license (there are few day tourist versions) and a trout stamp.

Generally speaking, the further north you are when you come into PA, the more streams become available. The streams decline as you get toward Philly. Hit the link "Where to Fly Fish" on the upper right side of the page and you can locate a lot of waters that have special regulation sections. The Delaware river that borders the two states has good warm water fishing for smallmouth bass and they should be active now too.

When you say eastern pa.... Would northeastern work?

Northeastern Pa is not a problem I'm in the Edison area of New Jersey so I'll be coming into Pa on 78 I can go any direction

The Where to fish link is great I think northeastern Pa is the ticket. I looked at the special reg streams in that area one question I'm not sure which streams are open how do you link to dates the streams are open

If you want to drive north to Wayne, NJ you may have opportunity there as well. I live near Wayne and there's an overlooked river over here with wild browns if you're interested.

Don't forget, the border water on the Delaware is open too.

Couple special reg areas I can think of......Bushkill near Easton. McMichael's near Stroudsburg. Little Lehigh near Allentown. Not to mention unstocked Class A's.

Only certain sections of those listed above are open to fishing now though. Get a PAFBC handbook with your license.

I will add the Lackawanna River Trophy Trout section to your list of possibilities.

Georgia wrote:
I'm not sure which streams are open how do you link to dates the streams are open

Streams listed as special regulation (DHALO, FFO, etc.) are open year round for catch and release fishing. Make sure that you are in the section labeled as spec reg. When you arrive at a stream, these sections are usually marked with signs at the parking lot identifying them as such.

Little Lehigh fly fishing only section in Allentown is a good option. Park in the lot where this store is http://www.perfectflystore.com/wlittlelehigh.html
Most folks will suggest fishing the small stuff on the surface for the rising fish, which is fine, but try some egg patterns (sucker spawn especially, as this is the time of year when the suckers ares spawning). Fish them right on the bottom. Resist the temptation to fish the big hole near the hatchery outflow. There are a lot of fish in there but they get pounded. There are a lot of fish in the rest of the stream too and they don't get to see every fly known to the sport.

What part of Georgia are you from? Just wondering.

Well then you have some nice streams down by you! How far from the Nantoola and Toccoa? Fun rivers.

The Toccoa is my favorite river despite the TVA destroying the river during a summer time lake pull down for damn maintenance, it made a recovery but now they have been by pass sluicing because of equipment failure. Maybe the TVA will get their act before the hot weather hits. The Noontoot is up and down with its size restrictions, lately is been a noticeable absence of trout. I'm about a hour from both.

I just check my motels next week and I'n in Easton for 3 days in the Quality inn about 2 miles from the Bushkill Whoohoo!!!!

I just check my motels next week and I'm in Easton for 3 days in the Quality inn about 2 miles from the Bushkill Whoohoo!!!!

Georgia, I am not sure what my schedule looks like, but hit me up. Send me a private message and I might be able to meet up and show you some water. I live 30 minutes from Easton towards better water.

My home area is northern Northampton Cty. You will find the water you are looking for in Northampton and Monroe Cty and is easily accessible from Edison. Just shoot out I-78 or I-80.

Here is a terrific PF&B Commission Website that will help you find the special regulation water. Just zoom in and navigate to the areas you are interested in.

http://www.fishandboat.com/specreg.htm

There is also a pretty cool app for iPhone and Android that not only has the special regulation areas, but some pretty nifty maps... 10 bucks and if you are smart phone inclined... GPS Fishing Guide to PA.

Have fun.

PM me, I'll clear some time to take you out.

Back