Generic olive nymph

barrybarry wrote:
I'm no expert on drifting nymph posture, but that style of hook will catch more fish.
That may be part of the difference between a straight shank and a curved shank considered everything else is the same. They hook the ones that would otherwise become "the rock bump that almost felt like a fish" fish.

Really?
Any proof to back that up?
I'm not doubting their efficiency. I just want to find out the validity of your very bold claim.

I use both straight and curved hooks for different nymphs, larvae and pupae.
I also use various styles for emergers, duns and spinners.
I use straight shank hooks for wets/soft hackles.
I suggest that different types of imitations are more accurately represented by different hook styles, leading to the perception of better hook ups in the type of fishing you do.

I think the increased hook set percentage with the offset hooks is a valid point and true. I really like the direction this thread is taking with different hooks/hook ups and everyone's thoughts on it, looking forward to more insight on this.

Sorry If I sounded bold in my last post. I don't have any science to back up the "curved hook" post.

But I do have tons of experience with this hook style and wouldn't be without one. Whether you call it a Kahle hook or scud hook or whatever. Back in my bait fishing days I'd buy them by the dozens. Not a better hook style to be found.

I tie a lot of fly's on this hook style. (drys, nymphs and wets) I like it and feel very confident when I have one on the end of my line. The flies don't always look like they do in the books but I like them anyway.

The impression I got was that you were speaking through on stream experience which if you ask me is the best kind. I tie some stone flies on kale hooks and have found them to be quite effective. The scud style hooks I use are the daiichi 1130/20's and they have an offset as well.

I tie most of my nymphs on scud hooks. I never kept track of fish hooking percentages.

I never really have either, but after I started tight lining I noticed a sharp increase in fish to hand not just numbers but size on a regular basis. I know there are more variables in this situation than just an increased use of this style hook so maybe it's just a small part.

lv2nymph wrote:
Not that straight hooks aren't effective I think that fact has ben proven beyond discussion.
When did that ever stop us :)
Nice fly Jack!
Mike.

lv2nymph wrote:
I never really have either, but after I started tight lining I noticed a sharp increase in fish to hand not just numbers but size on a regular basis. I know there are more variables in this situation than just an increased use of this style hook so maybe it's just a small part.

That's my point.
This technique is deadly, and has traditionally been used with shorter shanked, wider gaped and heavier hooks. Who's to say that you wouldn't be just as effective with similiarly weighted (and similiarly constructed) nymphs tied on straight shanked hooks using the same technique?
I believe it is the technique (angler) and not the hook. If the hook type gives you more confidence, then so be it.

Lol Mike you're right that's never stopped it before! And thanks.

Gut, I agree with you about the effectiveness of that style of fishing. And I feel I'm only scratching the surface of honing just how effective you can be with it. I do feel I'm making progress with it and my nymphing eyes are getting sharper as I go. I'm not sure how true as a whole this is but I've found that (most of the time)a larger trout's take is almost undetectable as far as being obvious meaning something looked/felt funny but not really if you know what I mean? It seems the smaller trout always give that little tap you feel in the blank. I don't know, maybe I left the cap off the glue too long. :) I'm looking to tie some up on the straight shanked hooks with the tungsten wire to get the proper weight on them and find out.

Lv2nymph, I understand what you're saying about "nymphing eyes". I figure if you're not setting the hook on rock sets and other disturbances, you're missing fish.
I don't know any other way to nymph really. It was how I was taught 15 years ago, and it works for me. I didn't know site indicators existed 'til this past Spring.

Two weeks ago, I had a big fish (~22") hit the nymph so hard it felt like a catfish strike.

Exactly. Long, long ago (in a galaxy jk) when I got a good drift going in a difficult spot I wouldn't set on a movement unless it really looked like a strong take. It didn't take long to realize that was about the stupidest idea ever. To be honest the closest I came to tight lining before last Sept. was high sticking it which I imagine is a form of it in a round about way. You see I've only been fishing this method for six months now so the light take theory is not very founded apparently. I guess that was my way of asking. Did you get that fish in?

I tend to use high-sticking and tight-lining interchangeably. It's really only distance from the fish, in my mind at least, that separates the two.

On the fish. No, I lost that fish when the hook pulled out about 1.5 minutes into the fight. Heavy current, and it decided to open its mouth on the top. I didn't want it going over the dam so I held it. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I should've let it go over the dam and chased it.

Yea, I can see that. Each has it's own time & place where one works better than the other. Shame bout the fish, but that's one of the many driving forces that call us to the stream.

This would be my breakdown of the best bra bless hooks out there by type.

Small Jig Hook - Hanak size 16 400 in my opinion has the best wire size, overall quality and shape. Despite some other brands selling size 18 jigs, they are often very light wire, bend out extremely easily, and are actually bigger than the 16 hanak 400. ( Note the TMC 403 is also a aweomse hook in the 16)

Overall Jig Hook - It gets a little more competitive here, but I still stick with Hanak or the 403 BLJ, including the Hanak Superb jig 450, Excellent hooks; although Fulling Mill and Hends offer quality hooks as well.

XL Jig hooks - If you are looking for a jig hook to tie a rubber leg stone or something like that on, really the only option is the Knapek J hook, quality is ok but you will get some unusable duds in each pack, they are still extremely sharp however.

Nymph Hook - There are a ton of good options here but the following brands all offer awesome nymph hooks. Hanak, in both the 200,230, and 250, Fulling Mill Grab Gape hook, Dohiku 302 series, and the Knapek W hook.

Dry Hook - For dries I pretty much use the Hanak 130 bl but the Fulling Mill Grab Gape hooks work well too.

Curved - For curved hooks the Hanak 550 and Dohiku 644 are my personal favorites.

For pretty much everything else I use Hanak, they have a great line and the quality and sharpness is unmatched.

Hope this helps answer some questions, again feel free to post or share this anywhere.

InTheMend wrote:
This would be my breakdown of the best barbless hooks out there by type.
Small Jig Hook - Hanak size 16 400 in my opinion has the best wire size, overall quality and shape. Despite some other brands selling size 18 jigs, they are often very light wire, bend out extremely easily, and are actually bigger than the 16 hanak 400. ( Note the TMC 403 is also a aweomse hook in the 16)
Overall Jig Hook - It gets a little more competitive here, but I still stick with Hanak or the 403 BLJ, including the Hanak Superb jig 450, Excellent hooks; although Fulling Mill and Hends offer quality hooks as well.
XL Jig hooks - If you are looking for a jig hook to tie a rubber leg stone or something like that on, really the only option is the Knapek J hook, quality is ok but you will get some unusable duds in each pack, they are still extremely sharp however.
Nymph Hook - There are a ton of good options here but the following brands all offer awesome nymph hooks. Hanak, in both the 200,230, and 250, Fulling Mill Grab Gape hook, Dohiku 302 series, and the Knapek W hook.
Dry Hook - For dries I pretty much use the Hanak 130 bl but the Fulling Mill Grab Gape hooks work well too.
Curved - For curved hooks the Hanak 550 and Dohiku 644 are my personal favorites.
For pretty much everything else I use Hanak, they have a great line and the quality and sharpness is unmatched.
Hope this helps answer some questions, again feel free to post or share this anywhere.
Wow. So you're telling us that you like Hanak, eh?

Do you find them any cheaper than $9/25? The way I tight line nymph fish, that's a lot of money in the stream bed. :oops:

I'm intrigued. Especially the H300bl as an emerger hook to compete with my beloved 2487... ;-)

If you get them from Unique Flies and by them in 50 packs they are much cheeper, they just take longer to get here.

Unique flies has a pretty cool website. Lots of good ideas for flies. As far as hooks goes that overseas shipping is usually on the slow boat. Unfortunately.

Back