Gear Question/Suggestions

JesseC

JesseC

Hey All,

So I'm rather new to Fly Fishing. I have gear and kinda know what I am doing on the water. I say that loosely as I need alot of practice. But I wouldn't starve if I needed to eat. Don' worry strictly C&R for me.

My question is however.....I'm in the market for something to keep my gear in. Vest, Sling Pack, waist pack. I'm a bigger guy so I have get something that works with me.

I use spinning gear alot more not then fly. Currently trying to change that. however I do use a vest for all my spinning gear.

Just looking for suggestions. Reasonably priced of course.

I appreciate any advice given.

In the past, it was traditional to wear a vest for fly fishing but in the last generation or so, shoulder and chest packs have become much more popular. Personally, I still like and use an old school vest. My advice would be to go to a shop and handle or try on some examples of both. Much of it depends of how much stuff you like to routinely carry - fly boxes, tippets, water bottle, pliers, etc. I like to carry a lot of stuff so think about what you carry and consider the situation based on that.

Jesse,

I suggest you stop in at A & G and "try on" chest packs and sling packs. Adam or Greg would be happy to help you.

Or I can meet up with you and let you try mine. (I'm Catherine Gursky on Lack. R fly fishing on Facebook)

I have a chest pack I don't use which you can keep if you want to go that direction.

I started using an Orvis sling last year and haven't used my vest since. I've also used waist (fanny) packs and lanyards.

For me the only thing I really don't like is a chest pack which is why if you want to switch to a chest pack you can have mine.

You can keep the vest for your spinning set up and something else for fly.

I like to use a chest pack for things I need often like floatant, fly boxes, tippet, etc, and a back pack for things I want to have but don't need as often, like a snack, a water bottle, an extra reel, a hoodie, and a rain jacket.

If I am going to stop somewhere for more than a few minutes I can toss the back pack on the bank to get rid of the weight while I fish. I just have to remember to grab it before I move on again.

If you like coffee in the morning and beer in the evening, I highly recommend whatever you choose has a bottle holder. They are priceless. I use to wade back to the bank and grab my beverage every time I needed a drink but now it's on my hip at all times!

I still use a vest sometimes. Sometimes I use a "sling pack" which is just an old army bag. Sometimes I just use the pockets on my clothing. I travel light with minimal gear all the time wether spin fishing, fly fishing, surf fishing, or any other kind of fishing. My water bottle fits nicely in my back pocket or in the back of the vest.

I am old fashioned and use a vest in conjunction with my Richardson Chestbox. Nothing wrong with any options you mentioned. It's boils down to your own personal preference.

Hi Jesse

I'm from up Carbondale and have gone from vest to sling bag. Found out it's a lot easier on my back and still holds more than what I really need to have with me.

Got my sling from Ebay based a a look at a thread in the Gear Talk section some time ago. It's was less than $25 and is holding up well to date.

Give a shout if you want to meet up some time. Or hook up with GathyG. She's good people and a dang good fly-fisher.

Dave

Thread Here

I also switched from a vest to a sling pack because I felt that they were more comfortable, especially in warm weather. I am currently using one that's not specifically designed for fishing. It was for sale on amazon for like $30. The non-fishing-specific bags seem to be cheaper than bags designed specifically for fishing. I really like the looks of the one that Dave linked to on eBay. Actually if the one I'm currently using doesn't work out I might have to give that one a try. Here's the one I'm using right now:

Red Rock Outdoor Gear Rover Sling Pack (Coyote)

There ain't one of us on here that can tell you what you will like. We can say what we like, but that's personal preference, it's like our taste in women (I like brunettes, some guys don't).

The best advice I can give is to go to a shop that has a large selection of different packs and vests and try them on.

Wow thanks everyone. I'm really leaning towards the sling pack type. I often feel to bulky with a vest on. Especially in the colder weather. I don't think I would like a chest pack so I kinda ruled that out already. I might pick up a new vest now and do some more research on packs. I don't have a whole lot of gear right now as I'm truly a beginner still. Like I said I know the basics and can get around. My knowledge of spinning gear and using that type stuff helps me fish in general so I feel comfortable trying to Fly fish more. If that makes sense.

I appreciate all the help though!

Just don' t get sucked into thinking you need ALL of your equipment for EVERY fishing outing. Shorter trips call for less gear on the stream.

I always used a vest before. I just got a new vest, and a lumbar/waist pack. I haven't even used the vest yet. I will likely use the vest for bass/boat trips and catfishing etc, and keep using the pack for fly fishing. I really, really like the pack. I think a sling pack would be a great idea too. I like the placement of the lumber pack I have now, I can spin it around if I want, or keep it in front so all my tools, flies, water bottles, etc are handy. Sometimes I will go out and only take a draw string bag with a water bottle and fly box in it on my back. So it all depends on the situation. I don't think you can go wrong with a sling pack though. I was looking at them but really liked the waist pack I found. Go try some on and see how it feels.

Yeah @KeithS. I don't have a lot of gear so that's not an issue. Maybe 4 fly boxes I have and that's it. Not even a lot in them. I want to get something that will allow me to expand in the future though. I tend to not doing anything half #censor#'d when it comes to buying something. LoL. I have all my stuff separate now in two different vests. Spinning vs. Fly anyway. I just think not having a vest which usually fits a lot will keep me more comfortable on the water.

You already use a vest, and are happy with it then why bother changing to some other way?

How much more crap do you need to carry that you don't use when spin angling? A couple spools of tippet? Everything else is the same, and the lures are smaller.

Its your money, waste it however you see fit but if it's not broke why fix it?

I guess maybe I should have stated in my OP, that I need a new vest or something else. The one I have now is beat up.

And I actually carry less gear for fly fishing. And I think part of the reason I posted was to not waste money. Or at least to much.

If you're happy with a vest, you should stick with it. Otherwise you will waste money as you try all sorts of ridiculous options like fanny packs or satchels with ugly fabric patterns and fancy names "techinical sling tactical shoulder waist hybrid awesome pack" only to come back to a vest like you know and like.

Buy into comfort, not fads or the gear talk hypemachine.

don't listen to gfen. YOU NEED!!! the ultimate lightweight carry everything waterproof squatchproof STD free sling tactical pack.

I'm like you, until recently, I had/have a vest for my spin gear and had a separate vest for fly gear. Personally I got away from the vest for fly fishing because I felt restricted in my movements while using one, especially on smaller mtn streams. Nowadays what I carry is based on the day I will have fishing. If I can only be out for a few minutes/hours I wont even take a vest/pack. I will just put a spool(s) of tippet, one fly box, and some weight in my pockets of my pants and head out. I don't want to have to carry my vest/pack with everything in it for a short fishing trip. Unlike what gfen said I am currently trying all the different packs to see what I like better. Personally I buy cheap first, see if I like the concept and like gfen said FEEL COMFORTABLE then save the cheap setup for back up and buy something alittle nicer.

Ironically though if you see me on the stream where I have the whole day to fish I look like a walking outdoor shop. Chest pack with all the gadgets hanging off, backpack filled to the brim with squatch sighting defensive gear, and/or everything else one would need if Armageddon happened while I was out on the stream. I am trying to change this. I realize I have problem.

I'm kinda like you bigcountry. Ya never know where your gonna need that thing that you don't have when you need it. LoL. I'm gonna probably go pack. I mean if everyone uses them they must be good. LoL.

I used to be a vest guy, but made the switch a few years ago. Now I use a waterproof hip pack coupled with a tippet tender pocket on my waders or a lanyard when I'm not wearing waders. The pack carries a water bottle, fly boxes, extra leaders, extra spool, split shot, food, etc. The tippet tender pocket or lanyard keeps the items I need access to the most. I keep tippet, floatant, nippers, hemostat, and fly patch up front. I keep a handful of unused flies on the fly patch so I can switch it up without accessing the waist pack. I slip a net through the belt of the waist pack so it sits at the small of my back.

I'm not a big guy, but this system has been good for me because I can carry everything I need for a full day on the water including food and water. If I need to carry more, I sub a backpack for the waist pack and stuff the waist pack in the top of the back pack so it is easy to get to.

There are a lot of packs out there, I like the waterproof type because I am short and the bottom of the pack is often in the water if I wade deep and it keeps my gear and phone dry int he rain. Packs will not fit under a wading jacket.

Back