Gear for Car

beeber2

beeber2

Just wondering if anyone else does this. It seems of late I am always forgetting something when I go fishing, either the reel, waders, boots or something else. So now I keep all my backup gear in the car at all times. So far this is working well.

I don't keep certain things in the car at all times because of the extreme heat and cold at different times of the year.

I go through a verbal/mental check list before I hop in the driver's seat.
I say to myself: waders/boots, rod, reel, fly box, glasses, accesseries.

During the best part of the year I usually keep my rod rigged up and the down's box in the vehicle. I don't keep my waders in teh car though -- they start to stink it up.

Almost all of my flies (thousands of them), two reels, and a vest full of little things like hemos, gink, split shot, licenses for a few states, and a few other things got ripped off doing this.

Be careful.

Granted, of course, that I live in west philly. Even so.

A locking tool box in a truck bed would be the perfect place for a lot of gear.

I have a large gear bag, I throw in the car everytime I go out. It has everything I'll need for a backup except waders, vest and rods. I always put them in the car first, that way I won't forget them....works for me!

I have a smaller duffle bag that I got on sale at Cabelas that holds my old waders, spair pair of boots, a rain coat, a sweatshirt, extra flies, leader materials, split shots, gink, floatant, indicators, sun glasses, basically extras of everything. If its just a short trip I leave it at home but if I'm going on an hour long drive I just grab this bag and I know I'll have everything I'd need if things would go bad on the trip or I run out of something. I usually take two rods with so I don't carry extra reels and I normally put my waders on at home before I even leave the house. I make sure all this stuff is locked up in the truck...its never sitting in the back.

I don't have any method really for packing. Did want to ask if you guys have a specific way you get ready on stream.

Like always waders, boots,vest first then start rigging???

There have been countless times where I am all set and then noticed I rigged my nymphs with out the indicator and have to take off the the top nymph and slide the indicator on.

Any suggestions? Paul

After parking:

Waders, boots, vest, rod, reel, fly.

After fishing:

Fly, reel, rod, vest, boots, waders.

Leaving the house:

Hat w/license on head, waders folded over left arm vest and two reels in left hand, two rods under right arm, boots in right hand.

Once trunk is loaded, then I verify that everything is present, from foot to head: boots waders, vest, rain coat, rod, reel, license.

I think I was toilet trained too rigorously.

I keep everything except my waders and my rod/reel in my truck at all times. During the peak of the season I'll sometimes keep the rod in the truck too for that "just in case I need to go fishing" day. I usually don't forget much throughout the season. Usually if I forget something it's when I have my kayak with me and I'll forget my dry bag or stringer for crappie/perch fishing or something.

After I arrive and park I...
set up my rod,
wader,
boots,
chest pack,
and go.

I keep all my FF stuff in a good sized zippered duffel bag - vest, hat, extra clothes, socks, do-dads, etc.

When I'm ready to go fishing, I grab my bag along with my rod(s) waders and boots which are hanging up next to the fishin' bag. I keep my reels attached to the rod and put them in a DB Dunn type case.

When I get to the stream, I put on my waders, boots and vest. The LAST thing I do when everything else is ready is take out my rod from the case and put it together. I NEVER lean it up against the truck or put in on the roof, that's why it's the last thing I do.

When I return, the FIRST thing I do is take apart my rod and put it in the case. After the rod is safley stowed, I take off my vest and waders.

I've only used my rod warranty once, and that was for a stupid mistake I made on the stream.

My reels are always attached to my rods also. If they stay attached to the rod then I know I won't loose them and reattaching them everytime and stringing the line up through the eyes again just takes me longer to get on the stream. If you put them in a case get a case with the reel holder built into it. I put special floor mats in my car just so I can wear my boots in the car without worrying about getting anything wet. If I'm fishing close to home I always put my waders and boots on at home its just easier for me to do it sitting on my pourch then the tailgate of my truck. I always wear the same hat that has my sun glasses and license on it. So the only things I'll need once I leave my house are my rod and my vest because I'm wearing everything else. Long trips though I always double check for everything but really I don't take all that much. I can normally make it out the door with all my fishing equipment in one trip then I'll run back inside for food and drinks. I actually pre rig most of my rods before leaving the house because 90% of the time I know what I'm going to be fishing before I even arrive at the stream. I also keep extra clothes behind the seat. I always have an extra coat along with some tollet paper and paper towels there too. You never can tell when the weather can change or when you have to do a #2.

Back