Gear carry weight

I’ve had back surgery. I have a Hodgman Wadelite Velcro belt. I don’t think they make them anymore. what I found best for my back is no belt, no net but a stout wading staff.

One boot is heavier than anything else i use. Down to a small sling. Still have half a dozen boxes in it and some leader/tippet but not much else. Will go to camp this week and I'll get in the water with one small box that fits in my pocket. I'll walk back to camp if I need any more than that. Of course if the gauge doesn't come down fast it could be a drinking week.

Speaking of weight, has anyone been able to find Schedule 20 PVC pipe (for central vacuum systems) from which to make cheap and light rod cases? The lightest I can find is Schedule 40, which is really overdoing it from a protection and weight perspective. None of the home improvement DIY places stock schedule 20 pipe since it doesn't meet any plumbing codes for carrying water.
Thanks.
Try your local Irrigation Supply store. SCH21 its what the irrigation guys use. Its in 20' lengths.

Anybody use one of those wide back saving wading belts? thinking about something more substantial to get the water and perhaps a net off my back??
Yep, you've got the right idea. If anyone has concerns about carrying too much weight then you might want to try out a waist belt system like the Fishpond Switchback or something similar. You barely notice all of your gear when it's distributed across your hips as opposed to having it on your back, chest or shoulders. Plus you don't get hot and sweaty like you do in warmer weather with a sling, chest pack or vest. Not to mention it's easier to cast when your upper body isn't weighted down with gear. And while it's true you can usually hold more gear in a sling, some hip packs can be pretty roomy and most waist belt systems can accommodate a wading staff, water bottle, net, etc. Much more comfortable in my opinion. YMMV.

water bottle
Until I started fly fishing I never really was too concerned with water but now that i plan on going deeper into woods and what not, whats the most efficient way to transport water? All I have at this point is a FIshpond chest pack which I'm growing to love, but sure does make me sweat in the heat of summer. When I was using my spinning rod, I just had a small pack I hung around my neck with basic tackle, spinners and fluro for my leader. I didn't get thirsty unless I been out for half the day or longer. When I was a kid I would just drink out of the streams.

I still do that on most streams that I fish. If it's clean enough for native brookies, it's clean enough for me to drink. It hasn't killed me yet. :)
Only if you can see the water coming out of a spring. Otherwise, we can look forward to the eventual Beaver Fever discussion. (Also, keep the tippet away from your mouth after it's been in the creek.)

Everybody can do their own thing and has their own ideas, but ever since drinking and carrying around a bottle of water all the time became the norm for the world, nobody I knew ever toted water when fishing for less than 24 hours in a day, let alone everywhere else they went.

When talking about myself; if I carry water, I drink water and then, how much should I bring; a half liter, one liter, two? If I don't bring water, I don't think about it and I just suck it up until the day's fishing is done knowing there are ice cold beers waiting for me back at the car.

Something that helps; I avoid eating any salty snacks before or during and if I am inclined to stop to eat lunch, I avoid processed deli-meats like the plague. That's because in the 4268.756 years I've been fishing, only three times in my life have I wanted a drink so badly that I walked back to my car and all three were days when I had lunch consisting of a turkey or roast beef hoagie.

I will admit I've always carried a very small 2.5 - 3oz flask of whiskey with me for "emergencies." :cool: I've also discovered if I feel like I'm getting thirsty, a small sip seems to alleviate the problem while a larger slug makes me forget about it entirely... 🥃

Bottom line, if I decide to go on a three day excursion to the Mojave Desert, I'll tote water in my canteen on my burro or take my chances and drink from any oases I run across, beaver or Gila monster fever be damned... ;)

As always YMMV.

(Also, keep the tippet away from your mouth after it's been in the creek.)
Bro, I put flies in my mouth that taste of pond scum. Sometimes, on a particularly good day of "gillin" (catching bluegills) my cigar starts to taste like them. I've gotten pricked by quite a few of them too on occasion (there's supposedly a neuro toxin in those top fins). I concur, with @wildtrout2, it hasn't killed me yet.

Only thing I won't put in my mouth is lead shot. If this means I must forfeit my hardcore motherf***** badge of honor so be it.

Bro, I put flies in my mouth that taste of pond scum. Sometimes, on a particularly good day of "gillin" (catching bluegills) my cigar starts to taste like them. I've gotten pricked by quite a few of them too on occasion (there's supposedly a neuro toxin in those top fins). I concur, with @wildtrout2, it hasn't killed me yet.

Only thing I won't put in my mouth is lead shot. If this means I must forfeit my hardcore motherf***** badge of honor so be it.
As with most things, your results may vary. :)

I ain't wearing no waders to protect myself from ticks, I can inspect myself later. I don't use a wading staff or wading belt, and I'm embarrassed to say I have studs in my boots. I think I need to start wading barefoot... I fish at night too... sometimes.

I ain't wearing no waders to protect myself from ticks, I can inspect myself later. I don't use a wading staff or wading belt, and I'm embarrassed to say I have studs in my boots. I think I need to start wading barefoot... I fish at night too... sometimes.
When you begin you barefoot wading endeavors please report back on how that worked out for you. 🤔

Back