Gear Bag Suggestions??

thebassman

thebassman

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a gear bag so I can keep all my stuff together and just have something I can grab and go when I want to fish. I am looking at the LL Bean Kennebec River Boat Bag and the William Joseph Nomad X Bag. Any other ones I should look at?? I would like to stay around the price range of those bags if at all possible.

Thanks Guys!

Steven

Also throw into the mix the Fishpond Cloudburst bag.....I found one for around $150.....

I use a Fishpond Yellowstone Wader/Duffel Bag. I like it alot and it holds more than enough gear.

what do you want?
pockets or large storage?
weatherproof? or is it just for storing gear in a car?

honestly... those 2 (WJ and LL) you are looking at are nothing more than athletic bags marketed as something for fishing

I recently evaluated every boat bag out there and picked the Sage Typhoon Boat Bag... nothing beats it

Fishpond is OK... but lacks real storage in place for lots of little annoying pockets
i seriously considered the couldbutst... because of the hook gimmic
but the lack of storage and access kept me away

I am looking for a bag that has a good amount of storage,and pockets. I am not going to ever use it in a boat, but use to store my gear at home and in the car.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the fishpond storm mountain bag. wrote a review on it on my site. have a look if you're interested.

greenlander wrote:
McDowell's not McDonald's.
“They got the Big Mac we got the Big Mick”
MCDOWELLS.jpg

Reusable Grocery Bag is the best thing i have found. .99 at most places. 2 bucks for the cold bag and it is good for beer as well.

Got this one a few weeks ago. It holds a surprising amount of stuff, but not waders, or boots. I like to keep my waders seperate from my boots, so I use bags that do that. Waders, boots, & vest go in one bag, the rest goes in this gear bag. I got mine on sale for $20, and it's pretty decent even at the regular price of $40.

I have the Fishpond storm mountain that i won and its pretty cool. Not super huge but it keeps my raingear,extra boxes and reels. I also have the bumpy road rolling duffel and it is awesome. The thing is real big and has 3 spots on bottom to secure rod tubes. The thing holds a lot of gear.

I will also be buying the Yellowstone wader bag they offer. That thing is a beast!

Finally i will add that Fishpond while expensive has a great warranty. The stuff seems to hold up well and i am in the process of using them exclusively. They are very pricey in my opinion and i am sure that one can find bags just as good maybe better without tbe warranty. Go out and rip some bags apart at the shops and see what you loke! I like the plastic tote idea the best for daily use and only use my gear bags for trips.

yeah the storm mountain bag definitely isn't cheap. i have been using it as my every day bag though because i store my camera and lenses in there along with fishing gear.

I spent years working out of a duffel and having proper organization is definitely a big difference.

if you can live without some of the fishing-specific features the fly fishing gear bags offer (and you surely can), you can most likely find something cheaper that will do the job

For the price it is tough to beat the bag that H-A posted. I liked mine so much I bought a second one for carrying my fly tying gear when travelling and use it in the fall for hunting trips as well.

I have the Fishpond bags and there great. The Yellowstone is the best it will hold everthing you need for on any trip. One of the great things about it is the bottom opens up and you can store your waders and wading boots there. It's a good for the money.

I have a Fishpond Cloudburst bag and am very happy with it. Bottom vented compartment holds boots, waters, waist highs and hipper. Top holds FP's 10 reel bag, my waist pack, my vest, my rain jacket, a 4 drawer chest box, net, staff and a second 4 piece rod. It is a tight fit and weighs a ton, but it ensures I'm ready for just about everything when I hit thw water.

I have a Simms wader/gear bag. It holds everything I need for flyfishing. The bottom is vented for waders and boots. The main compartment holds everything else. I grab the bag and I'm out the door. I'm always ready to fish at a moments notice. LOL

Back