Gatlinburg TN

Barnuba

Barnuba

I will be in Gatlinburg TN mid-October. Does anyone have any recommendations for trout fishing?

There are a lot of fish in the stream that flows down from Elkmont Campground. Mostly small fish but very good numbers. There are pretty much fish everywhere. Not too many large fish but pretty wild rainbows and brown. Go higher up if you want brookies. Do not waste time fishing in town. The National Park is much more scenic. Also, I would avoid Cave's Cove this time of year due to traffic and people looking at the leaves and wildlife.

The South Fork of the Holston River is an incredible tailwater fishery...native browns and rainbows and lot of them...near Bristol Tennessee, so about 1 1/2 hours from where you will be .
I was there in mid June and had a wonderful 2 and 1/2 days. We used a guide named Jeff Wilkins who was tremendous...you can google him for contact information. I would rate this 5 stars...can be waded and fished between releases, or from a driftboat during releases, from the dam

If you are staying near town try roaring run it was a great stream and a very short yet very remote feel to it.

Pretty much every stream in the Smokies has wild bows, and brookies if you get up high enough.

I fished Roaring Fork, Little River (above Elkmont CG and in the town of Townsend, the former was much more enjoyable), Middle Prong, Cosby Creek, and a small stream near Greenbrier. I did well in all of them, Cosby (above the CG) was probably the best of them, mix of brookies and bows. If I had to do it over, I'd probably add a real high elevation stream, like Road Prong.

I agree on staying away from Cade's Cove and Abrams Creek from a fishing perspective. Crowded and not as pretty as the "deep woods" to me. It probably is the best overall fishery in the park. But it's a slowish limestoner. You got plenty of that kind of fishing here in PA. The high mountain streams are quite a bit different than the mountain freestoners in PA, so hitting them is getting a bit of a different experience. You'll probably catch more there too.

The tailwaters, like the Holston, may be very good but that kinda fishing just doesn't appeal to me as much as getting up in the mountains and the deep woods. When I'm in the Smokies, I want the mountain stream experience, you know?

I would think October is a very good time to fish there.

Back