Gas Drilling Potter County

S

steve98

I posted a stream report last week on Kettle Ck. Potter/Clinton Cos.
One of the replies asked about drilling in the area.
Saw none.
2 years ago saw a well near the East Branch Sinnemahoning near Cherry Spring St PK.

This year talked to a land owner near Carter Camp PO Cty.
No drilling in this area 'although testing was done.
According to him there may be gas, but no way piping it out. Or too costly to do so.

Steve98

That was me, thanks for the info.

There is currently gas drilling in Potter County. I have seen the fracking water tanks along 872 near Wharton. We were fishing Kettle in late March and I saw a bunch of Halliburton trucks going down the road. I dont think there is as much drilling as in some areas of the state but it is there. Also, there is a gas processing facility near Wharton as well as numerous gas pipelines that cross the area.

I saw some Halliburton trucks with these squat tear drop shaped tanks on them marked LEAD on a large sign by Ricketts Glen this winter. Wonder what that is for.

I am not sure. I dont know much about the gas drilling industry. I would imagine that they are marked "lead" for leader or the first trucks to be used not lead - the mineral.

PAgeologist wrote:
I am not sure. I dont know much about the gas drilling industry. I would imagine that they are marked "lead" for leader or the first trucks to be used not lead - the mineral.

Ermm, don't think so, lead signs, as in lead hazard signs, on thick walled, squat tanks that looked like they held acid.

Oh. I cant imagine what they would need lead for in drilling. Perhaps the tanks were lined with lead to keep the contents from reacting with the steel tank?

Bulk teardrop cement trucks carrying the 1st cement to be run in the hole, or lead (not the metal Pb) as opposed to tail. The dry bulk cement is premixed for different characteristics. The size of the cement jobs generally require a lighter cement be used in the lead which is the first cement in the inside of the casing and ends up being circulated to the outside top of the casing.

Thanks for clearing that up Gudgeonville. Ive worked with about every type of drill out there and been on alot of different drilling operations except oil/gas rigs. I did tour an active drilling pad once and I must say that it was spotless. I couldnt even find any small oil stains on the site.

Back