Gallatin River

In July a Trude can bring them up through three or for feet of clear water for a bite. Nice boulder gardens and great mixed walk and wade fishing.

From the mouth of the canyon down to Manhattan I've taken numerous large browns late summer into late fall.

The canyon is just so beautiful it's a wonderful spot to fish. The highway allows for major prospecting. If nothing is happening one place just move to some fresh turf with different character. If I went anywhere else it would be anyplace on the Madison.

I fished it in September. I fished both above and below Big Sky. It was kind of cool to catch fish a stones throw from where Brad Pitt caught fish in a "River Runs Through it". I like the upper part as it is not as big. I got some nice fish in the pools on caddis and emergers.

Have fun.

I spent many days driving past the Gallatin on 91 to catch bigger trout and whitefish in the Madison between Quake and Hebgen. Really the Gallatin is awesome, but there's much better water if you're willing to drive an extra 1 to 3 hours from Bozeman. The yellowstone in downtown Livingston is a very easy wade and there's some huge trout in that area. The spring creeks in Paradise valley really help boost the stone with cold water in the summer time.

I would also recommend fishing the Boulder in Big Timber, south to boulder forks or even further south if you desire cuts. The Shields is also a cool little gem which is closeby. Get a Delorme and find access at any bridge and hop in. If money isn't an issue, you may want to fish Armstrong Spring Creek either at the O'hair Ranch (head waters) or Mrs. Smith's property at the PePuy ranch (downstream and more water). It will cost you $100 in summer.

Pretty much agree with everyone's post. The Gallatin has alot of trout and there are easy to catch but most are on the small side. Below Hebgen dam on the Madison is really good fishing, plus the fish are about 10" bigger on average and can be caught on the typical easy tailwater patterns. San Juans!

Here is a few shots of my buddy on the Gallatin outside of BZN in April. We caught a bunch of fish like this.

Attachments

• ICEOUT 004.jpg
    ICEOUT 004.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2
  • ICEOUT 003.jpg
    ICEOUT 003.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for all of the input. After careful consideration and much reflection, we're going to the Bitterroot Valley.

The Gallatin is a fine fishery no doubt. The scenery around Big Sky is really pretty and the fishing is very good. Anyone from the East who have fished that area will tell you that there is so much water within 2 hours from Bozeman that it is a tease not to be able to spend a month out there. If your time is limited to under 10 days, then you need to have a good game plan with a good plan "B" to fall back on. There is all types of water to fish also. Spring creeks, tailwaters(Beaverhead) and freestones to keep you busy. I would give a call to a couple fly shops out in Bozeman to help you decide what type of streams you want to hit. PM me if you want some suggestions. You are in for a real treat no matter where you want to fish. Have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BmNdCH42tFE

Luckily I've not been there when it looked like this.

Back