G Loomis rod selection

P

pwk5017

Hello, after having battled a range of fish on my 5wt, I am caving in and deciding to grab a second rod. I was thinking a 7wt for steelhead, carp, maybe bass? I primarily want the new 7wt for steelhead. However, I also want it to be a nice multi-species rod. I am fortunate enough to receive a substantial discount off g loomis, so it really does not make sense for me to even consider another rod maker. I am looking at the native run glx 7wt 9' 6" rod and the salmon and steelhead nrx also in 7wt, but 10' length. Any input on selecting the right rod? I am fearful that 10' may be too long for fishing some of the medium sized streams where I target smallies and carp. Are 10' rods more difficult to cast etc.? Thanks for the input guys.

Patrick

Generally, 10' rods are EASIER to cast, provided you have an open enough area to swing it around some. And the longer rods are a large advantage in getting a drag free drift because it allows you to lift the line over currents and such.

Now, your smaller and medium streams for carp and smallies, I have no clue, it depends how brushy they are. The general rule is always to use as long of a rod as you can reasonably get away with, but not longer.

I have a bunch of Gloomis fly rods, aside from my Trout Spey, they are all pre shimano.
IMHO stay away from the NRX series for steelhead, way too stiff for steelheading.I know guys that went an bought GLX 10 footers and were sorely disappointed when they went steelhead an salmon fishing, If you can find one a GL4 is a great Salmon/Steelhead rod,and a GL3 is also a great choice,
For windy conditions NRX an GLX series rods are the standards by which others are measured by.
For Steelheading and Salmon stick to a medium action rod or medium fast..ultra fast sticks just take all the feel out of fishing.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

7wt is a bit light for salmon.

There is a world of difference fishing a 7wt 10' and a 7wt 9'. That extra foot, particularly in a heavier weight rod, will wear you out. I have a 10'6" 9wt St Croix Ultra I use for salmon. It's a beast, yet probably well better in class than average. I had a 10' 8wt St Croix Ultra and it was tiring as well.

Thanks alot for all the input, guys. I am about a year and a half into fly fishing and have been pleased with my okuma guide select 5 wt 9' so far, but I am really looking forward to the joys of a high end rod. I am nervous about the extra foot. I am thinking that 9'6" medium-fast nativerun glx is the rod for me. I have never casted a stiff rod, so I was also apprehensive about the feel of them. Any reason to grab the 8 over the 7?

For Erie, I'd take the 7 wt. For NY, I'd take the 8 wt or even a 9.

One of the keys on a steelhead rod is a soft tip to protect tippets. The fish are commonly heavier than the tensile strength of the line.

Jdaddy is right if you are fishin the Salmon during peak salmon season a 9 weight is mandatory ,the kings can be brutal, but if its steelhead your after stock with the 10 footer an go later say last week of october all the way till spring the heavy butt of the 7 weight will handle ontario steel,as for erie steel in ny , the 7 weight will kick butt too use the rod an a great drag an you will have no trouble loanding fish,also you will have a great rod for smallies too,not to mention streamers for bigger trout.
Pcray also has good points as well.

Back