Furled Nymphing Leader Experience & Questions

I only use thread furled leaders which I prefer because they float better when greased and don't twist up as badly as the mono or fluoro versions do if they get snagged and suddenly come free or when I clean them.

However, I only use them or braided (not furled) silk leaders for dry fly work and don't like or use them for nymphing unless I get lazy and just want to do a few test casts.

My preferred NON Euro nymphing leader is a straight knotted fluoro or mono leader or a Beartooth braided butt leader which I find far superior to furled leaders when it comes to turning over nymphs.

I only use thread furled leaders which I prefer because they float better when greased and don't twist up as badly as the mono or fluoro versions do if they get snagged and suddenly come free or when I clean them.

However, I only use them or braided (not furled) silk leaders for dry fly work and don't like or use them for nymphing unless I get lazy and just want to do a few test casts.

My preferred NON Euro nymphing leader is a straight knotted fluoro or mono leader or a Beartooth braided butt leader which I find far superior to furled leaders when it comes to turning over nymphs.
I’m curious. What do you grease your furled leaders with?

Last edited:
I’m curious. What do you grease your furled leaders with?

It's a melancholy endorsement because the product was originally recommended to me by Ed Maurer, AKA "Heritage Angler" a former PAFF poster who passed away recently...

IF I am fishing a plastic fly line, the ONLY grease I'll use is Loon Payette Paste which WON'T melt and leave a big grease stain on your vest or pack like Mucilin, no matter how hot it gets .

It also works great...!!! :)

When I am fishing real silk lines (which I use on my bamboo rods) I use Otter Butter on both my line and silk blend braided leaders that I actually like better than thread furled leaders for dry fly work.

It's the best non-silicone grease I ever used!!

Last edited:
It's a melancholy endorsement because the product was originally recommended to me by Ed Maurer, AKA "Heritage Angler" a former PAFF poster who passed away recently...

IF I am fishing a plastic fly line, the ONLY grease I'll use is Loon Payette Paste which WON'T melt and leave a big grease stain on your vest or pack like Mucilin, no matter how hot it gets .

It also works great...!!! :)

When I am fishing real silk lines (which I use on my bamboo rods) I use Otter Butter on both my line and silk blend braided leaders that I actually like better than thread furled leaders for dry fly work.

It's the best non-silicone grease I ever used!!
Thanks Bam!

Back