FURLED LEADERS

A

atticus

I would like to try a furled leader this season ,for the first time. Would be using for dries and swinging soft hackles. Looking for recommendations on length and manufacturer. Probably using 9 foot 4 weight .

I have been using furled leaders exclusively for several years. I have tried many and there are lots of good ones out there. I fish dries and wets almost exclusively. When I'm going to nymph I have separate rods and rigs for that but only do it a few times per season.
My favorite is Zen leaders.

https://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/

Why are these leaders only used for dry flies? I thought that they sounded nice for use in the pads where they could be a little stronger and fling a heavier tippet.

Baron wrote:
Why are these leaders only used for dry flies? I thought that they sounded nice for use in the pads where they could be a little stronger and fling a heavier tippet.

Baron, I do exactly that. I use a furled leader on a 7 weight that I use for bass and pike, and fish streamers or top water flies as the mood suits me.

Glad I saw this thread, forgot I had to order some new ones, the couple I found years ago on a local stream(new in package!! Gift from fishing gods) are finally wearing out. I love how they cast, nice and supple. On the small streams I fish, sometimes I'm just casting the leader, it they cast wonderfully.

PennKev,
Weird name......Thanks for the lead on Clearstreamflyfishing.com. My first leader just arrived and it is very convincing looking along with the Payette Paste. I can hardly wait to try it.
if I like working with these I'll order more.......bet I'll like them.

Is it okay to not use flotant on these furled leaders? I don’t always want my leader to float. Will it cause damage to the leader if I leave it with out the paste?

You don't have to grease them. But if you grease them once, especially the thread versions they will float for awhile until all of the grease is gone.

If you want a sinking leader it would probably be best to have a few that you don't grease at all.

Bamboozle, I asked the same question of Clearstreamflyfishing today and Kevin confirmed your comments, He went on to say that they have furled mono leaders for those that wanted them to sink. As summer weed beds develop I hope to maintain floating (Uni thread) and a neutral (mon) line for panfish for the shallow lakes I fish.

the best furled leaders i have come across are

https://www.fretzfurledleaders.com/

I know many may disagree, but I have never found anything that works better when fishing for warmwater species and using poppers or clunky stuff in among the weeds, pads and slop than a regular knotted leader.

I also use regular knotted leaders exclusively for smallmouth & other species in open water.

I get better turnover and no crazy twisted up furled leaders when a snagged fly suddenly pulls free which is the biggest reason I WON'T use mono or fluoro furled leaders.

FWIW - I DO use thread furled leaders for almost all of my trout fishing with dries. I still like regular leaders for subsurface work.

Hey shake thanks for the lead.

Bam,
So the mono and flora bunch up once they've been stressed?

Baron wrote:
Bam,
So the mono and flora bunch up once they've been stressed?
Yes, if you pull them and they stretch, if they abruptly pull free they twist up into a jumbled mess.

It has to do with the twisting employed when making them. Mono & fluoro are naturally more stiff and springy so the effect is amplified versus limp thread which doesn't twist nearly as bad.

They also twist up if you pull them through tightly pinched fingers or a rag like when you are cleaning them or greasing them. That has the effect of UN-twisting them and when you relax the pressure, they twist up into a mess.

Simply relaxing the pressure employed helps a LOT with that issue.

Bam,
Okay after trying the furled leader I was much disappointed. I think my whole approach was not tuned to that much gentleness.
I am using all 6wt and found a 1x 7.5' leader with 3' of 3x is great (three feet of 10lb mono even better), accuracy greatly improved. I'm trying to swing streamers and larger terrestrials and it seems that the medium furled leader I bought was more tuned for 3-4wt rigs and much lighter leader/tippet/fly choices. Perhaps JerryC will chime in as he is fishing the exact type of water that I am.
Bamboozle how do you engineer your tied leaders. In other words what do you start with and narrow it down to?

Back