Furled leaders

Crotalus wrote:

Bought the wood to build a furling jig but just didnt seem to be worth the effort to complete it when one $5 leader can last 2+ years.

Or you can start making your own, have unlimited customization potential, have them cost less than 1$ a piece, and have a new one ALL the time.

I'm a fan of furled leaders but the come up short when the situation calls for nymphing or streamers. Great for dries and shallow water. Not very usefull for fishing water more than a foot or two deep. Fluorocarbon and other materials allow for a faster sinking furled leader but don't really offer an advantage over plain old leaders.

Uni-thread leaders are the way to go for dries. Also, for what it's worth, most guys are using formulas that make leaders that are way too thick. 6/0 UNI makes an OK leader, but 3/0 threads are far too thick. I prefer leaders made with 8/0 UNI. The fine thread allows for fine tuning of the taper while maintaining fine diameters.

I'm actually not a fan of mono furled leaders at all. Too stretchy and even very fine mono is usually too coarse for creating a delicate, finely tapered leader.

Kev

I learned how to make them out of uni thread maybe a year ago and love how they fish. I think I've been using the same one on my trout setup for 9 months or so and its still holding up well. Big streamers are pretty much the only reason i'll switch it up.

I've been making my own furrled mono leaders for a few years and like them alot because I never get wind knots. I wish I knew how to make them taperd but straight ones work also. I've always wanted to try thread furled leaders. Mabey the will have some at they Lancaster show.

I got some from Mike at CutThroat Leader Co. check em' out, he gave me a ton to try and I have to say that I love using them.

furled leaders roll out so nicely and they are a great addition to anyone's on-stream arsenal. it worth a try, I'm glad I did!

Been using them exclusively for about two years now. I don't think I will ever stop using them!

I've been making and using uni furled leaders for the past 2 seasons. I've been meaning to get a video up on youtube showing the process, as I've got a pretty slick jig setup that makes it quick and efficient. Maybe one of these days...

I just started making furled leaders like a month ago. I have yet to use them. I'm more of a wet fly guy. What are the mono furled leaders like? They are simple to make i saw a video on them and there is noting to them.

Does anyone have or know where I can fine a video on how to make taperd furled leaders? Thanks

Thanks for the video Heritage but I already know how to make straight furled leaders. What im looking for is a video on how to make a TAPERD furled leader. Ive read dozens of articles on the subject but always seem to get lost aroud step 3 or 4. I just cant grasp the concept. Heritage i've made leaders the way they do in the video you posted but have found that this method makes a more uniform leader and a bit more durable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IofvuXnmRNU#t=10s

delta_dog wrote:
Thanks for the video Heritage but I already know how to make straight furled leaders. What im looking for is a video on how to make a TAPERD furled leader. Ive read dozens of articles on the subject but always seem to get lost aroud step 3 or 4. I just cant grasp the concept. Heritage i've made leaders the way they do in the video you posted but have found that this method makes a more uniform leader and a bit more durable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IofvuXnmRNU#t=10s

Yup - your video gives you a straight furled leader. No taper. The vid I posted actually has a taper. There's the 2 strand section, and the 4 strand section. That's a taper. You can also take it further and make an 8 strand section for more taper. These sections are commonly called "legs". Varying the length of the legs in the vid I posted allows some control over taper too.

It's not the best method of constructing a furled leader, but it does work, and allows for variation in construction - and no furling jig is required.

For durability, I sometimes put a tippet ring on the tippet end - it's easy to add in the first step.

Anything beyond this, and I just buy them. They last pretty long, so I don't mind paying for them. This guy makes some really nice furled leaders....

http://www.streamsideleaders.com/

LOL....here we go again....im gonna give it another shot. The last time i tried this I smashed the spool of mono with a BFH and drank a 12 pack. Never tried since LOL. I just wish ther was a video so I can SEE it being done.

Here is the tapered furled mono leader instructions that I came up with a while back. No jig needed. HTH.

Attachments

• Furled leader final.jpg
    Furled leader final.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 2
dog - In the interest of beer conservation, there's a dvd by Kathy Scott on furling that is really good. You can contact her here:

Andrea Bamboo Rods
RR 2 Box 1235
Norridgewock, ME 04957
Phone: 207-587-4524
Email: dpvbkjs@tdstelme.net

http://flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/kathyscott.php

For $4.99, I just buy 'em, and they come with tippet rings. That streamside guy gets them to you pretty quick, too. YMMV.

H.A.

Im all about DIY but for some reason this just frustrates the hell out of me. I guess im gonna buy a couple and see if they are any better than what im currently using now. Im sure they will be better but how much better? Thanks guys

This is the best description I've found:
http://www.canerod.com/rodmakers/tips/furled/furled.html

cutthroat leaders!! very nice stuff

I don't tie my own, but I do use furled leaders probably 90% of the time. The one situation where I have found them to be absolutely awful is in conditions below freezing. The tiny gaps in the mono hold water and I found it freezes more quickly than a tapered leader does. IMHO

Figured I'd refresh this thread. These have had me intrigued for a while now and just bought a few from Blue Sky. Hoping to have them in to toss around at some grannoms in the next few weeks.

Back