Furled Leaders and rod tip "snarling"

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

I have switched to a furled leader a couple of years ago. Love this leader system as changing tipets (sp) is a dream. But it seems to me that shaking down a "snarled" three or four inches of leader at the rod tip furrels is more problematic with a fureld leader than with a traditional leader. Am I seeing things here? I apologize to the Prof in advance if my spelling or grammar is incorrect.

The nature of the beast. No such thing as a perfect leader IMO, just a matter of deciding which advantages and handicaps you want to deal with.

It just seems to me that I have to lay the rod down and undo the snarl at the rod tip by hand more often than I did when using the single strand mono-filament type leader.

fadeaway263 wrote:
It just seems to me that I have to lay the rod down and undo the snarl at the rod tip by hand more often than I did when using the single strand mono-filament type leader.

The exact reason I will never use them again on my small stream rods.

Yes agreed. I like them for sure, but on my small stream rod when I need to get my line out quick, I don't want to be messin' around w/ that.

I made the mistake of trying out a furled leader for the first time on a brookie stream. Learned the annoying way that I'll never do that again.

But I agree, you almost always need to set the rod down to untangle. Maybe using different materials in making the leader would result in less tangle, not sure...

I have a FL made out of unithread and i have the same problem with the snarls at the rod tip. I think its because the FL's(thread ones anyway) bend a lot easier than mono. since it bends easier, it can twist, collapse on itself, and wrap around the rod much easier than mono, which tends to resist a change in its shape. plus i think the furled thread leaders are heavier than mono(they soak up water), so it can wrap around the rod and tangle easier. i tried one on my small stream rod for the first time a couple days ago, and i had to untangle the mess at the rod tip by hand way more often than with mono.

I have the same problem with them, bad enough that I have several unused ones in one of my fishing bags and went back to "reg" leaders.
John

I've been using them for two years. Primarily fish with a 7' 6" three weight. Started with a Blue Sky 5' 9" and went to a Feather Craft 6'. Tie on 3' to 4' of tippet. Never, not once, have I had the furled leader "snarl" at the tip of the rod.

As for the spelling and grammar, I'll let someone else be the judge.

englishprof wrote:
I've been using them for two years. Primarily fish with a 7' 6" three weight. Started with a Blue Sky 5' 9" and went to a Feather Craft 6'. Tie on 3' to 4' of tippet. Never, not once, have I had the furled leader "snarl" at the tip of the rod.

As for the spelling and grammar, I'll let someone else be the judge.

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse us! :roll:

I like them a lot, just not on my 6' small stream rod where I'm pool hopping and need to get my line out PDQ. I don't mind them on my medium (7'6") stream rod or my "big water rods". Actually I prefer them for the longer rods.

I dunno. The "snarling" has never been so problematic that it deters me from using a furled leader. Also, I actually think they excel in small stream situations. You just can't use a ridiculously long leader. A 4-5' furled leader with a maximum of about 3 feet of tippet seems to serve me well on small streams. The extra mass of a furled leader helps turnover a bushy dry in tight spaces. I guess this is situation where being able to make your own furled leaders makes a big difference in how and where you use them.

Kev

Agree with PK. They work well in small stream situations for the reasons stated above.

I have found the thread furled leaders, which are wound very tight to snarl, especially when they are pulled tight on a snag and let go. Hand twisted mono furled leaders do not recoil and snarl because they are not wound tight.

Good point. I should have added that Afish in my original post. The snarling most often for me occurs when pulling out a tree snag.

Simple solution: stay out of trees and other snags. Next question.

Apologies if I'm misreading, but I only get snarls when I have to pull something out of a snag. then it comes back at me all tangled up, but I never lay the rod down. Just feed out enough line to manage the smoothing out process. JackM's advice is, of course, correct but, alas... :)
Coughlin

I agree with englishprof. I have been using furled leaders exclusively for at least six years. I started with FeatherCraft furled leaders which are great (but expensive), now I make my own. Never used a thread one, could that be the problem?

I totally agree with kev,
I find them very helpfully in tight quarters because I think they have good turnover and you can get away with bad casts.

Back