Furled Leader Question

dreamsofstreams

dreamsofstreams

A question for those that use them:

Is there 1 material that is the best "all around" for Streamers, Nymphing, Dries? Nylon, Mono, Fluoro, Uni-thread?

I don't like loop to loop connections, therefore I don't want to switch out leaders to go from surface to subsurface fishing. So is there a general purpose furled leader that would allow both with a simple switch of tippet.

Also any thoughts on built-in hi viz strike indicator sections would be helpful. Are they as easy to follow as a floating indicator?

Streamsideleaders.com has nice leaders. Used them once and they have a tippet ring to attach tippet material. Much cheaper than store bought and got the colors I wanted.

I am going to try adding some hi-vis mono. to tippet ring and thing fine diameter tippet section for long line nymphing next time.

I've been using the Blue Sky furled leaders for years and like them. I recently bought 3 of the Streamside leaders and have to say they are very nice.
Good site with lots of choices, great price and the leaders were in the mailbox in 3-4 days.

As for your question about dries and nymphs, I use the furled for all my fishing. I just tie about 3' of 4X tippet on the end and go to it. I'f I'm gonna throw dries or mides I may hack off a foot or so of the 4X and add a foot or so of 5X or 6X.

I use Mucilin to hlep float the furled leader when chucking dries. When fishing nymphs I use biostrike putty and place 3 or 4 little dabs(3 or 4 mm in size) on the furled part and one on the knot to the tippet as little sighters/indicators. The furled leader really holds the biostrike putty well and it doesn't come off.

I've used both the light and medium Blue Sky leaders a couple times, and my son has given the medium a real good workout. So far, we really like them. The light is perfect on both my 4wt rods.

Initially, I had trouble getting the medium to go limp... it had a considerable amount of twist in it. After a number of stretches, and being used a few times it is fine. I contacted the folks at Blue Sky and mentioned the problem. They more than took care of me... excellent customer service.

I've used the Blue Sky leaders a couple times, So far, we really like them. The light is perfect on both my 4wt rods.

Thanks so much, I purchased a couple Blue Sky light's last year and I put one on my 3wt again.
I have a loop already tied on my mono and flouro tippet...... so a quick easy switch for me from dry to wet!
I'm so glad that I read this post..... I completely forgot about the Blue Sky's in my fly stuff.
I simply love checking out these fly fishing forums, and also YouTube! Time well spent! My fave music playing in the background,big screen to watch all the vids, a glass of fine chilled wine, and my swing out mag light above my tying vise! Could life get any better?
I just found out how to tie a new foam spider...... with a different killer look!!

"Scuze me, while I tie a fly"

Just given this a try and it's a piece of cake! a book called Make Furled Leaders It seemed an incredibly simple method and are fully customizable, shows you some new tools and a completely new jig design that is both easy to build and easy to adjust to any leader design. You can also purchase this on amazon by Steven Zondag

Back