Fuji Bamboo

kobalt335

kobalt335

I just got a fuji bamboo rod for free. It came in a wooden case, it has 3 tips (one only fits he butt section and makes a really stiff short rod). I don't care about how cheap or expensive the rod is, I just want to know what weight this rod might be since it isn't marked (feels like a 5wt to me) and if this is a decent bamboo rod to use, or if it's junk and should hang on the wall

My guess is that it's a "Made in Occupied Japan" rod, which were sold to servicemen as souvenirs for about $5, and which weren't worth even that. They always came in wooden cases.

As a fishing rod, it's probably junk, although there is some market for such rods in people who collect post-war Japanese memorabilia. There's a good chance it will fall apart if you actually try to fish it.

If you want to try anyway, it's probably a five or a six weight.

All that said, modern Japanese split cane rods are among the finest ever made. This just doesn't sound like one of them.

That's what I figured. Oh well, it will become wall art somewhere in the house.

kobalt335 wrote:
I just got a fuji bamboo rod for free. It came in a wooden case, it has 3 tips (one only fits he butt section and makes a really stiff short rod). I don't care about how cheap or expensive the rod is, I just want to know what weight this rod might be since it isn't marked (feels like a 5wt to me) and if this is a decent bamboo rod to use, or if it's junk and should hang on the wall

Try casting it with different weight lines.

If it casts well, then it's a "decent bamboo rod to use" and if not, it's a great wall decoration.

I think this link might help you determine the line weight.

http://bamboopursuits.com/?p=514

you might also want to check out

http://www.common-cents.info/

Thanks everyone, I'll give it a shot on the lawn with a few lines and see how it casts.

My favorite steelhead rod is likely one of those post WWII Japanese rods, but when I got it, there was no label. Most of them were just milled and glued together, not planed. Lots of gaps. Poor workmanship, but having cast a couple of them, I wouldn't call them junk. Many are quite functional, but just don't look as nice if you look very closely. I fixed it up and I love the way it casts.

OK, right now it is broken, but it was my favorite steelhead rod, and will be again some day when I find time to fix it.

What is it worth?

I paid exactly zero dollars for it, but had it come with the box, it would have cost slightly more. ;-) It came in a bundle of rods I bought. Call it a bonus.

A complete kit in excellent original condition is probably worth about $100.

I probably put about $60 into the rebuild and a whole lot of labor.

It's a 9 foot 3 piece. Also got an 8.5 foot 3 piece in that same bundle. I rebuilt both, and they casted virtually identical. Both cast a 6 or 7 weight quite well. It's all in what you like. I gave the 8.5 away as a gift and the recipient uses it as a wall hanger.

Yours could be lighter though. they made a lot of them.

Dave, Tip, mid or Butt break on you? if I had a scarfing block I would send it your way I just haven't had a reason to build or pick one up. I've seen designs to build one. I think new they are around 150 to 200. Joe E

JoeE wrote:
Dave, Tip, mid or Butt break on you? if I had a scarfing block I would send it your way I just haven't had a reason to build or pick one up. I've seen designs to build one. I think new they are around 150 to 200. Joe E

Thanks, but I am OK. It's the same one that we discussed before and I think I can get away with just re-gluing and wrapping. It's Mostly just de-lamination. You already sent me the string to wrap it with.

Wow, I just realized that was over a year ago. I will fix it eventually. I promise.;-)

The reason I checked back on this thread is the wife and I stopped at a HUGE antique "shop" on Saturday. Not really a shop. Three huge former potato barns filled with antiques north of Meadville. Can't remember the name.

I zinged through it rather quickly only pausing to check out a few select things like fly rods, reels, and logging chains. ;-)

Then I sat out front while my wife continued to shop. Eventually she called me back into the third barn to show me something.

It was one of those fishing sets described in the OP. 5 pieces in total, I think. In a wooden box with dividers. None of the extras were in there, and rod although complete was rough. Reversible handle so it can be bait of fly rod. I wasn't interested unless it was very cheap, figuring I can use it for parts. He wanted $85 for it. If you are interested, it is still there. ;-)

There were a couple others without a box, hanging on the wall.

I also saw a couple fly reels. One I was remotely interested in, not for it's quality, but to replace one that I have just like it that is broke. It was an old H-I Bakelite reel. He was asking $45. I figured it was worth about $25 so it's still there, too. It did still have a silk line on it, but I doubt that was restore-able. I guess I should have checked.

Back