FS: Downs Chest Fly Box by Downstream Products

J

JW1970

Been cleaning out my closet of gear. This used to be my go-to setup for the stream but have since paired back my onstream setup. The box makes for a great hands-free platform on the water.

Downs Chest Fly Box from Downstream Products. Lightweight plastic construction with removable trays. You can configure this for 1, 2 or as many trays as you feel comfortable carrying. For example, you might want a simple 15 compartment + 8 compartment to handle steelhead duties, but then reconfigure for holding some nymphs and dries to hit the early season trout hatches and then pair back to a single tray or two come summer trout. You just carefully pull the metal hinge pin to remove a tray or reconfigure.

Included are:

(1) frame to attach harness and the trays
(1) 15-compartment front tray
(1) Nymph front tray that's been customized over the years to handle attaching tippet spools, camera mount, and other accessories. Instead of the standard thin patch of gray open cell foam intended to hold your flies, the tray has two magnetic areas, a strip of ripple foam and also a 6-row CF Design slotted insert. Except for three holes drilled in the tray, you should be ale to remove these customizations if desired.
(1) DIY felt streamer/wet fly "wallet" with loop material on the binding to accommodate holding it into a nymph tray if desired.
(1) Nymph tray with one 7 row CF Design slotted foam insert and one 6 row CF Design slotted foam insert.
(1) Nymph tray with two 7 row CF Design slotted foam inserts
(1) 15-compartment tray
(1) 8 compartment tray

I found using the CF Design inserts in the "nymph" trays to be a great way to keep a good number of dry flies organized, or nymphs, rather than compartments or the standard open cell foam Downstream used. You should be able to remove the inserts if you don't like them or to use them elsewhere.

NOT INCLUDED:

I don't have the harness/strap anymore. The original was cotton and I think it wore out at some point. All you need are two lengths of 1" wide webbing to affix to two slots on the frame, and then a clip on each length of webbing to clip to the bottom of the frame (criss-cross the straps on your back after you put the straps over your shoulders) similar to how a lot of other chest boxes or chest packs are worn. Or come up with your own harness approach (I had attached the frame to the front of a backpack some times). Downstream Products might have different straps/harnesses still available. I didn't try to track them down.

I'm asking $50 for the 1 frame, 7 trays and 5 CF Design inserts that are included here. Will also consider trading for a few Cliff Outdoors fly boxes that are in good shape or would consider trading for brand new, unused 5wt WF or DT floating fly line depending on the brand and specs.

Not sure how to get a photo into the post but if anyone is seriously interested, PM me and I'll get photos to you.

I can likely meet someone in northeastern PA; central to northern NJ; or the upper D for pickup/payment.

Can you please send me a pm regarding the box. I am having trouble sending you one.

Thanks,
Andre

Hi Andre. I just tried to send another PM to you. Maybe the first one didn't go through. Thanks - John

Got it and forwarded email.

Received the email, Andre. Am contacting him.

fcarp -- I've replied to your PM.

PM replied to - thoughts?

Chest box is no longer available. Thank you.

Back