Frozen feet!

N

NovaJeff

Went out yesterday and spent a few hours in the east branch DHLAO. With my neo bootie waders and very normal socks, my toes ended up completely numb and I had to walk it off for 10 minutes before getting some feeling back. Not the most fun. What do you all recommend to keep feet and toes from going numb in the early season cold water?

Thanks!

Yo No. Long johns, corduroy pants, wicking and wool socks. If the boots get too tight, your blood doesn't circulate enough and that will make for cold feet.

Yo No. Long johns, corduroy pants, wicking and wool socks. If the boots get too tight, your blood doesn't circulate enough and that will make for cold feet.
I picked up the wading under layer pants from LL Bean and they were great...kept my legs toasty, but they just have stirrups for the feet, so no help there. I think part of the issue, like you mentioned, was particularly one of my boots was tight. When I took them out of my truck to put them on, the sole of the shoe separated and flopped off! So I did the duct tape magic fix and went with it. Made it a bit snug around the front of the foot!

New Redington Pro boots on the way now! :)

I might try my wool ski socks next time, rather than normal every day ones. Also maybe toe warmers?

Nova Jeff
+1 No tight boots!
Merino wool socks.
And yes, those adhesive toe/foot warmers work.

If you still have issues, invest in a pair of electric battery powered socks. They do work.

“Wicking” type socks under wool socks and as said before, no tight boots.

I have found the best way to keep your fingers and toes warm is to keep your head and core warm. All that other stuff after that.

Went out yesterday and spent a few hours in the east branch DHLAO. With my neo bootie waders and very normal socks, my toes ended up completely numb and I had to walk it off for 10 minutes before getting some feeling back. Not the most fun. What do you all recommend to keep feet and toes from going numb in the early season cold water?

Thanks!
I said it before on other threads, but I use a thin Merino wool sock under a heavier merino wool sock from a company in Sweden called Woolpower.

I prefer Woolpower because of the quality, all of the options they offer not just in socks, but other garments and I figure the Swedes know a little bit about staying warm in the cold. ;)

I previously used a polypropylene sock liner under a heavier Merino sock which works well too, but the wool on wool combo keeps my feet even warmer. I can fish all day in cold water and cold temeratures with no issues using this combo.

The other key as already mentioned is NO COTTON SOCKS and having enough room in your wading shoes to accommodate the extra socks WITHOUT cramping your foot.

If the fit is tight with layers and thicker socks, get a bigger pair of wading shoes, even if you just use them when it's cold or you will be wasting your time and money trying to keep your feet warm. Boot foot waders are even better.

Keep in mind, if you plan to fish for an extended period of time, toe warmers add bulk which could mean cramping when they stop working and electric socks may be less than satifactory all day unless you carry extra batteries and getting to the controls/battery can be a PITA under waders.

Stay warm!!

I agree with all said. I have a pair of boots a size larger to accommodate two pair of socks. I have a horrible time keeping my feet warm, especially on the delaware system where the water is cold all year long. I use wool & wool socks, two pair.

I often wear two pairs of SmartWool socks inside muck boots, it keeps me warm even when the water is below freezing and the boots are full of water. Make sure the socks fit well or else you will grind the bottom of your feet off, not fun trying to walk back after that has happened.

DEF get Xtra size larger boot for winter.
Experiment w your sox.
Consider below as one of your options.
I believe Patagonia has similar.
I pair the below Fleece
with my Smartwool " base layer sock"

Acorn Unisex Versafit Fleece Sock, Warm, Breathable and Moisture Wicking, Mid-Calf Length​

Bootfoot neoprenes.

And all the other stuff mentioned.

Reactions: JGR
Agree with above - when cold is really an issue I use boot foot neoprene waders. Best way I have found to give your toes some wiggle room. Good socks are expensive but worth it.

Thanks!
First, I can’t imagine how you’d get such cold feet yesterday when it was a practically tropical day yesterday. What are you going to do when the air and water temperatures cool off? (I’m joking, a bit.)

Anyway, if you’re really serious about keeping your feet warm - Hotronic. Look them up. That’s all you’d need. Well, that and the other things already mentioned.

Boot foot waders are the answer along with a little bit of “slop” in the sizing so socks can be layered a little bit if necessary. Even at that, if an angler is the type who parks himself or herself in the same hole for “hours at a time” trying every fly in the box, cold feet are inevitable. Walking from hole to hole does wonders for circulation and keeping feet warm or semi-warm. I would add that mid-calf to knee high socks over light weight long johns are helpful as well.

Nova Jeff
+1 No tight boots!
Merino wool socks.
And yes, those adhesive toe/foot warmers work.

If you still have issues, invest in a pair of electric battery powered socks. They do work.
Just a heads up on those "electric battery powered socks". If you're going to wear them, don't turn them on until you're about to enter the water. I wore a pair deer hunting one time, turned them on at the truck and walked a quarter mile to my stand. By the time I got there my feet were sweating like mad, the socks became damp, and I froze.

wool is your friend. although it can get itchy, so wear a pair of regular socks, then put the wool socks on. your gonna need a bigger wading boot though. hands also, buy 100% ragg wool fingerless gloves. your hands will never be cold. cabelas sells them.

Heat your core just to the point of not yet sweating. When your body wants to disipate heat it vasodilates superficial blood vessels to shunt blood towards the skin so heat can dissipate. If your core is cooler than you will not have this important vasodilation that brings heat and blood flow to extremities. Thats the secret besides loose fitting boots, merino wool, and staying dry. Add some extra layers after you hike in so you don’t sweat.

Back