From MI Working in Canonsburg Once a Month

W

wilb

My job is requiring me to spend a week every month in Canonsburg PA. I was wondering if there are any creeks for fall or spring trout that I could stop by when I am driving back to MI? I take I79 to I76 to I80 and would be willing to make some detours to spend the afternoon fly fishing on my way home. My gear is always with me and any pointers would be appreciated.

Wilb,
Welcome to our online community. There is a lot of trout fishing in PA - take some time to familiarize yourself with the counties you'll be traveling thru. There's a link in the upper right side of this page "Pennsylvania Trout Streams" to help get you started. You can also search our Reports forum by stream or county.

I missed the reports forum when reviewing the site. Thanks for the heads up

Unfortunately, you have to travel south and east to get to the prime trout waters. There is a creek called Millers Run in Cecil Pa that gets stocked in the spring buts not pretty. Little Chartiers Creek also called Linden Creek is stocked in April. It's located off Rte 519. Mingo Creek park is also nearby. The Erie steelhead streams are also an option if you are looking for big trout. That's a 2 hr detour North on I 79 though. I would recommend getting a copy of Dwight Landis' book on Pa trout streams. It's very comprehensive.

Sorry, but there isn't *hit in this corner of the State. You would need to make a detour of an hour or so to get to anything decent. North of I-80 and East of I-79. Do you work for MW?

BigBronco wrote:
Sorry, but there isn't *hit in this corner of the State. You would need to make a detour of an hour or so to get to anything decent. North of I-80 and East of I-79. Do you work for MW?

This post is money....

BigBronco is right. Your only shot at some fall or winter/spring trout is perhaps skipping the I76, head north and before I-80 hit Neshannock Creek.

And although Albud named a few criks that might fish after a spring stocking those criks are a waste of time and an embarrassment to the PA trout fishing experience.

If you are jonesing to dunk some feathers in late spring little Chartiers above the Guntown lake may give you a jolly but its again like sticking needles in your eyes as far as trout fishing goes.

Further East.........Yough , Laurel Hill , etc. pretty tough between MI and Cannonsburg , can i ask what part of MI you are from?

Harrison Township and Grosse Pointe (where I live) are both in the metro Detroit area. My family (I'm originally from the G-burg area) owns land in the Lock Haven area. I can usually make it door to door in about seven hours. I make it to Lock Haven at least once a year to fish with my family and friends and it is worth the drive.

Don

instead of getting on 76 take 79 north. Slippery Rock exit will get you to slippery rock cr which has decent trout fishing. look grove city exit will lead you to Volant to fish Neshannock Cr. http://www.ncflyshop.com/index.stm

the other detour worth stopping on your way back to MI are the Lake Erie tribs. Both PA and OH tribs will be fishing good well into the winter, until they ice over. PA tribs to fish are 20 mile, Elk, Walnut or the mouth of any trib you see on a map. OH tribs to fish are Conneaut, Vermilion, Rocky, Chagrin and Grand rivers.

You can access any of the tribs from I90 on your way to MI.

Sorry I did not get a chance to respond. Thanks for all of the replies. I am from Harrison Township MI, which is north of Detroit. I hit the Rocky on my last trip. I'm back in PA until Thursday so I am thinking of spending the day on the Chagrin on the way home this time.

Back