From a 9' 5wt to a streamer rod?

I got a 7 wt to fish big(ish) streamers. I can fish them with a 5 wt but it is a lot more enjoyable with the 7. Last year I misjudged how much the flow had dropped after a rain event and walked in about a mile carrying only my 7 wt. The water was considerably lower and clearer than I had expected and the fish were keyed in on Hendricksons. I couldn't have caught more fish with a 5 wt, though it would have been more fun with one.

This past winter I picked up a 6 wt to carry on days that I expect to fish streamers and dries/wets/nymphs but don't really use it. I still tend to grab either a 5 or 7.

Anyway, I really like a 7 wt for streamer fishing.

I've only been fly fishing less than 3 years, averaging maybe 15 -20 trips per year. Almost all of that has been with a beginners 9' 5wt Orvis set up. Recently I had a chance to fish 1/2 day with a guide in CO - had a great time - and one of the rods I used in addition to my Orvis rod was a setup with a fairly heavy streamer. I ended up calling it the "magic streamer" because it resulted in almost instantaneous hook ups from bigger fish plus many more swipes & chases. I did not get the details on exactly what rod, line, leader we were using, which was an oversight on my part. But, it got me to thinking. If/when I decide I need another fly rod, I don't want to duplicate what I have. I have previously thought about a nymphing rod, i.e., 10' 2wt or 3wt, but didn't do that. Since I also have good results using streamers at certain times, I'm thinking about a rod for that application.

My thoughts are currently a heavier rated rod, but what weight? 6, 7, 8? I could also use it for smallmouth too, because I chased them for 20+ years with spinning & baitcasting gear.

Any recommendations that won't break the bank?
Here is my take on this. Streamer fishing can be fantastic at times, just last weekend I had 15 fish in 3 hours on streamers and it was one of the most fun days I have had in recent memory. Realistically however, you are going to consistently catch majority of your fish on nymphs year round. So, this really boils down to what YOU want to do. Do you want to specifically fish large & heavy streamers as your primary technique in an attempt to wrassle in some high caliber fish? Get a bigger rod with an intermediate/sink tip line depending on the waters you fish. Are you just looking to throw smaller streamers here and there when the conditions are right? Get a dedicated tightline nymphing rod (10' 3 wt or 10' 4 wt, I'd lean towards the 4 wt). This rod will cover all of your nymphing needs, and you can easily throw streamers on these rods too. The casting obviously isn't as glorious and smooth as a dedicated streamer rod, but it works perfectly fine and catches fish.

Another point: If you've only fished for 3 years 15-20 trips, you've only been FFing at the most 60 times. I think you should focus on refining nymphing/dry fly techniques before moving into streamers.

Last edited:
I'd go 7wt, which is what I use, although I may be conducting some "tests" in my backyard to see if I still prefer my 7wt to the two 8wts I own (I was going to do this last night but I was instructing my roommate in how to cast a fly rod). I just think a 7wt is money, many modern 8wts simply feel like too much rod to me. I think there is a sizable gap between 7wts and 8wts, 8wts being a true larger game rod. Just my opinion.

It's also advised to go for a 7wt/8wt because intermediate, sink tip, and full sink lines are dense and heavy and require a substantial amount of backbone to toss. Even having a sink tip attachment added to my intermediate line still feels heavy on my 7wt and I take a massive casting distance decrease when I do this, probably only able to cast the 70% of my usual distance with it. Because any sinking line sinks it's hard to cast it again when your line is coiled up at your feet. I'm starting to think that I may just switch over to a floating line and attach my sink tip to that for easier line pink up, plus a if I want to throw surface presentations I can take off the sink tip and just put on a regular leader. Some people fish surface presentation flies on intermediate lines, I did it once with poppers and it I didn't find it very pleasant. I hate the belly of slack line this creates. I think an intermediate line could work with a fly that you want partially submerged to help churn more water.

I do most of my streamer fishing on a 8 1/2 foot Med-Fast 5w rod since that is what I carry every time out. It handles streamers fine and I probably fish streamers some time throughout the day about 60% of my days out. If I know I’m only going to use streamers (murky water day) I have a fast action 9’ 6w Aetos from Orvis that I use. It casts heavier flies better. I only use floating line.

It all depends. Smaller streamers on my 5 wt works just fine. Most days I pitch streamers when the dry fly fishing slows down for variety. But for all day chucking larger streamers and maybe bass bugs the 7 wt or 8 wt with a bass taper line makes life a lot easier. On my nymphing days I fling jig streamers with my nymphing rod, but it isn't elegant if I need to chuck streamers more than about 35'. It does mix things up when nymphing goes stale or I feel like covering more water.

You can do some sort of streamer fishing with any sort of outfit, but all day chucking streamers for larger fish sure is more comfortable with a heavier rod.

I will go to hell for saying this on a fly fishing forum, but if I have to fish a full sinking line I would rather spin fish.

Just want to say my number one problem with fishing streamers with my 5 wt dry fly rod is cutting back the leader. 75% of the time I am fishing dries I am using 5x, but I should cut back the leader to 3x for fishing most of my streamers. First of all, they turn over better so I can better target the spots like under trees, by big rock ledges, along submerged logs etc where the bigger trout are waiting to ambush a minnow. Second, when the trout of the year grabs my streamer I want it to be a little stronger. Unfortunately, I am lazy and tie the streamer to the 5x often with bad results.

Sounds like some of you guys really throw large streamers if you consider using 7w or 8w rods. There’s nothing wrong with that but it does limit what type of fishing you can do. If a hatch develops you really can’t switch to a dry fly on a 7w or 8w rod. I use 8w rods when fishing for Lake Run fish (browns, steelhead, kings) in the 25” to 40” range. Most trout streams will yield 12” - 15” fish with an occasional 20” trout.

I think maxing out at a 6w for streamers allows for more options without having to visit the vehicle to switch rods.

Sounds like some of you guys really throw large streamers if you consider using 7w or 8w rods. There’s nothing wrong with that but it does limit what type of fishing you can do. If a hatch develops you really can’t switch to a dry fly on a 7w or 8w rod. I use 8w rods when fishing for Lake Run fish (browns, steelhead, kings) in the 25” to 40” range. Most trout streams will yield 12” - 15” fish with an occasional 20” trout.

I think maxing out at a 6w for streamers allows for more options without having to visit the vehicle to switch rods.
I agree with what you said - I look for versatility in a rod. Most of the streamers I am throwing are no larger than 1.5-2" and I have zero issues on my nymphing rod when the time is right. With a lighter weight rod you have the ability to quickly swap leaders if fishing a WF line and tossing dries on a 5/6wt, hell even a 4 wt no problem.

Back in the day when I fished the ditch at BS 5 days a week, fished streamers with a 7' 3wt. Big sculpins with split shot(s). It can be done. With that said, it isn't fun to throw.

Could you cast a 5" - 6" drunk and disorderly 45' on a 5wt? Maybe. Can you effectively fish it? Not really. Would you be exhausted in 5 minutes? You betcha.

You need to match the line size to the flies you throw. What if there's a hatch that develops? Dedicated streamer guys wouldn't care because they've set out to fish streamers.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't make it right or a good idea. Kinda like standing on your head and peeing.... you can do it but it probably won't be much fun 😁

The heaviest rod I own is a really fast 6 weight. I use it mainly for WW fishing in the Summer. That said I’m usually throwing like size 10 Buggers and it’s plenty for that. When it comes to WW, I’m in the camp that smaller flies, relatively speaking, work best for most PA fishing. Main stem Susky/J/Delaware/Lehigh/Allegheny/Clarion perhaps being the exceptions, but I’m usually fishing tributaries of those. A 12” Bass is a good fish, and I catch far more Sunnies than Bass.

The biggest streamers I have are Slumpbuster variations that are about 3” long. It’s funny, because I rarely fish them on my 6 weight. They get fished when I identify a primo spot that likely holds a good Trout, but I didn’t turn anything up fishing dries, or nymphs, or dry/dropper, or whatever I’m fishing that day. I’m usually fishing one of my lighter, more moderate action 3-5 wt Trout rods, and I’ll switch out to the big streamer for a few casts, then switch back to whatever I was doing before when I move on. The lighter rods will do it, and it’s fine for a few casts, but you wouldn’t want to do it all day.

IMO since you already have a 5wt, skip up to a 7wt to give you a little more versatility. If you had a 4 wt or lighter already, I’d probably recommend the 6. But IMO you’re not gonna notice a big difference between one line weight. It’ll depend on the specific rods to a degree, but I’d skip two line sizes. Unless you’re looking to do some saltwater with it, or Musky type stuff, an 8 weight isn’t really necessary for PA stuff, it’ll just wear you out faster. FWIW.

Edit: Also, best advice you got so far was what tb said. If you liked the rod you were using with your guide, contact them and ask what it was.

Last edited:
Back in the day when I fished the ditch at BS 5 days a week, fished streamers with a 7' 3wt. Big sculpins with split shot(s). It can be done. With that said, it isn't fun to throw.

Could you cast a 5" - 6" drunk and disorderly 45' on a 5wt? Maybe. Can you effectively fish it? Not really. Would you be exhausted in 5 minutes? You betcha.

You need to match the line size to the flies you throw. What if there's a hatch that develops? Dedicated streamer guys wouldn't care because they've set out to fish streamers.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't make it right or a good idea. Kinda like standing on your head and peeing.... you can do it but it probably won't be much fun 😁
I agree. If you only want to fish a certain way then optimize your gear to match your preferences.

Streamer fishing small stuff on small water is a totally different approach. I can throw small wooly buggers on my 6.5 ft 3 wt. When fishing from a boat with my 7 or 8 wt and a big weighted streamer and sink tip I can pick the line up and shoot it right back out in one motion. I do not need to false cast etc. I can actually have my streamer in the water more quickly than a spin fishermen could retrieve and cast a lure. I can do something similar when wading, especially when fishing down and across. It is a very efficient way of fishing when you get into a rhythm. When a big bass or trout hit you better hang on because they will take the rod out of your hand. By the way the leader on those rods is just a short piece of 20 lb and a longer piece of 12 lb maxima lt. green. My whole leader is under 4 ft.

Back