From a 9' 5wt to a streamer rod?

A

a23fish

I've only been fly fishing less than 3 years, averaging maybe 15 -20 trips per year. Almost all of that has been with a beginners 9' 5wt Orvis set up. Recently I had a chance to fish 1/2 day with a guide in CO - had a great time - and one of the rods I used in addition to my Orvis rod was a setup with a fairly heavy streamer. I ended up calling it the "magic streamer" because it resulted in almost instantaneous hook ups from bigger fish plus many more swipes & chases. I did not get the details on exactly what rod, line, leader we were using, which was an oversight on my part. But, it got me to thinking. If/when I decide I need another fly rod, I don't want to duplicate what I have. I have previously thought about a nymphing rod, i.e., 10' 2wt or 3wt, but didn't do that. Since I also have good results using streamers at certain times, I'm thinking about a rod for that application.

My thoughts are currently a heavier rated rod, but what weight? 6, 7, 8? I could also use it for smallmouth too, because I chased them for 20+ years with spinning & baitcasting gear.

Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

Last edited:
7or 8 wt is a great streamer set up. I have mine in 9 ft. One is an older 7 wt Orvis I bought used and also a fairly cheap 8 wt Redington that I prefer. I don't recall prices but they were not expensive. Under $200.00 for certain.

If you fish big water smallmouth, or are thinking about lake run fish, or any other situation where bigger fish are likey go 7wt.

Otherwise 6wt is sufficient and a better trout rod, even with bigger streamers. For creek smallmouth, it's also totally adequate.

Honestly though, if you have a 5wt, go at it with that see how it works out. I've fished some very large and heavy streamers on 5wts, and caught some very large fish too. Truth be told I own exactly zero 7wts. I never used the ones I had, so i sold them and never missed them enough to get another.

If you are going to ask for rod recommendations for throwing big flies, it would help if you tell us what kind of casting stroke you prefer.

Do you like fast rods or slow actioned rods?

Go with a 7 or 8 wt rod for streamers. Make sure you get a good sink tip line to compliment the rod. It is the most important part to be able to cast a heavy fly.

Check out some You Tube vids on streamer fishing from Kelly Galloup. You might even want to get his book.
I chose his recommended 6 wt with a full sinking line.

My youngest son wanted a meat-slinger. I just built him a 9', 8 wt, 4-piece rod from an H&H blank. He hasn't used it yet, but the blank is advertised as a "true fast action" rod. I test-flexed it in the yard (without line so I didn't really wail on it) and it feels like it will fling a heavy fly. The blank is stiff down to the butt, flexed just fine when I spined (splined?) it against the tabletop.
The older son wants a 9', 6 wt to "supplement" his 8', 5 wt, and wants to use it for streamers. He's built a little bigger than his brothers and doesn't think a heavier rod will fit in with his slow-action rod preference.
They both cast better than their father, so I defer to their preferences.

An 8 wt with a sink tip line is a good combo for bigger trout and smallmouth. The full sink is too much on most shallower rivers like Delaware and Susquehanna. Been there , done that. Too many snags. Also if you want to fish smallmout with topwater a floating line is what you want. You can get a sink tip and add it on as needed.

I've only been fly fishing less than 3 years, averaging maybe 15 -20 trips per year. Almost all of that has been with a beginners 9' 5wt Orvis set up. Recently I had a chance to fish 1/2 day with a guide in CO - had a great time - and one of the rods I used in addition to my Orvis rod was a setup with a fairly heavy streamer. I ended up calling it the "magic streamer" because it resulted in almost instantaneous hook ups from bigger fish plus many more swipes & chases. I did not get the details on exactly what rod, line, leader we were using, which was an oversight on my part. But, it got me to thinking. If/when I decide I need another fly rod, I don't want to duplicate what I have. I have previously thought about a nymphing rod, i.e., 10' 2wt or 3wt, but didn't do that. Since I also have good results using streamers at certain times, I'm thinking about a rod for that application.

My thoughts are currently a heavier rated rod, but what weight? 6, 7, 8? I could also use it for smallmouth too, because I chased them for 20+ years with spinning & baitcasting gear.

Any recommendations that won't break the bank?
If you liked the rod you used with the guide, send him an email and ask him what model of rod it was.

Another vote for a 7 or 8WT.
They are big cannons for trout fishing but will throw meat well and it's better to be overgunned than under.

I usually recommend newbies start with a 5WT for trout and then get an 8WT which will open up other FFing opportunities.

Last edited:
tfo axiom 2 x is a very solid streamer/salt water rod for the money. You can get one on sale for 300 bucks right now. If you don’t like faster rods look at a used st croix on eBay. I pick mine up for 100 bucks and it’s a great rod.

Another vote for 7wt and for Redington Path (solid rod $90 - $159) or Redington Vice (little more stout rod $170 - $199). Both are fairly fast action. If you want the whole shooting match, echo has 'lift kit' and Redington has 'field kit'

Getting the correct line will make fishing streamer set up much more fun. For a new fisher a shooting line like outbound might be confusing to use properly. Suggest a bass taper or floating streamer taper.

I have the Vice in an 8 wt and a 9 wt. I really like how they cast, especially the 8. I use some configuration of those two rods for everything from trout to saltwater.

The in between weights - 6 and 7 - have always mystified me. Maybe I would want a nice 6 for dry / nymph fishing if I was out west on big rivers more?? For streamers, if I can comfortably cast all day with an 8, why step down?

I appreciate all the info & advice so far. Looking at only a small fraction of "Reviews" articles online, I've noted 2 budget/value rods mentioned: Redington Path 9' 6wt (690-4) and the Echo Ion XL 9' 7 wt (790-4), both right around $200. That's more in line with my target price range as opposed to all the top ranked best streamer rods included in the "Reviews" articles that range from $500 to $1000, with most closer to $1000.

I fish mostly in southern PA & in MD, so the creeks, rivers, lakes, and ponds I've been fishing are fairly shallow. In fact, the river I fished with the guide in CO was also fairly shallow in the section we fished, more of a creek at that point. But it held some dandy browns & rainbows.

I do know he uses Winston rods exclusively - so way out of my price range - but I'll probably run into him again in a couple weeks at the fly shop and I'll find out what line/leader he had set up. I have an extra Lamson Liquid -5+ reel so that element is covered.

Comes with 2 tips in case you're a klutz like me. Lots of good suggestions.

I have the Vice in an 8 wt and a 9 wt. I really like how they cast, especially the 8. I use some configuration of those two rods for everything from trout to saltwater.

The in between weights - 6 and 7 - have always mystified me. Maybe I would want a nice 6 for dry / nymph fishing if I was out west on big rivers more?? For streamers, if I can comfortably cast all day with an 8, why step down?
A 6 weight was the first weight fly rod I ever bought. While I seldom fish 6 weights, they hold a special place in my heart. I can't imagine fishing an 8 for trout in PA, especially since 99.9% of my trout fishing is with a 4 weight, but a 6 is pretty good for trout, pretty good for bass, pretty good for bluegill, I've taken steelhead on em, I'd fish them for carp, for Pike....

I like a 6.

A 6 weight was the first weight fly rod I ever bought. While I seldom fish 6 weights, they hold a special place in my heart. I can't imagine fishing an 8 for trout in PA, especially since 99.9% of my trout fishing is with a 4 weight, but a 6 is pretty good for trout, pretty good for bass, pretty good for bluegill, I've taken steelhead on em, I'd fish them for carp, for Pike....

I like a 6.

Oh, sure. I'm not doubting they are useful. I just haven't personally found the need, especially for streamers.

Frankly, I'm sure a ton of this is simply familiarity / personal comfort. I have a buddy who only uses a 5 wt as his dedicated streamer rod. That seems crazy to me, but whatever works.

Hell, I've been in scenarios trying to figure out what fish were up to and thrown caddis dries on the 8 wt above. I was using a 7 or 8 foot level 15 lb leader with a foot of 10 lb as tippet. Turned over fine after a little adjustment.

Gold jacket, green jacket...

Back