free leader

blueheron wrote:
I tie a connector loop onto the end of the flyline, it's smaller than a loop in the flyline and doesn't catch as much.

blueheron

What is a connector loop? I would like to start using a loop to loop but the darn thing always gets caught in the first eye of the rod. I like to use a long leader and tippet, when I have a fish on it's a pain to land the fish!

Eyes are to bad to ty those knots anymore. I always wait till I go up to the camper to change then, then I get Jonas or Jim to do it for me.

Maxima

Recived my leaders yesterday, they look very well done.

Thank you!

PaulG

some people don't like em but i use a cortland fly line loop , they are braided and u slide them onto fly line and heat shrink the tubing with a hair dryer or i slide the braid onto the fly line then wrap kevlar thread arround the braid up to where it meets the fly line and super glue it , could use knotsense too , then i just clinch knot my leader to the loop for nymphing changing for me is easy to just clinch not it , dry fly i use the loop in the tapered leader to connect loop to loop , just how i do it and change the sortland fly line loop every season , i never broke one but some have and i probably fish ALOT u could say

As long as they are wrapped with thread, like troutslammer mentioned, the braided loops are ok.

Just make sure you don't skip that step. Just following the directions and using nothing but shrink tubing has failed me a few times.

jayL wrote:
As long as they are wrapped with thread, like troutslammer mentioned, the braided loops are ok.

Just make sure you don't skip that step. Just following the directions and using nothing but shrink tubing has failed me a few times.

If you gunna wrap the braided loop with thread, why not wrap the thread around the fly line and make a loop. I've had braided loops fail even with thread and have never used them since.

That's why I do it your way. :)

good call afish. the best low-profile loop is made by getting a blade and cutting the tip of the flyline at a shallow angle. Doube it over and use a touch of super glue to stick the cut end to the flyline. Wait a minute, cover with thread and add a bit of flex-cement.

This makes a low-profile tapered loop that won't pull out and floats well. Been using this setup on all my lines for years with no problems. They've held up to lots of steelies

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9816&forum=3&post_id=111128#forumpost111128

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4608&forum=3&post_id=43284#forumpost43284

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4885&forum=7&post_id=46397#forumpost46397

I've never used loop to loop before so I'll try it out this year. I was a bit confused by a tutorial on the perfection loop, but found it quite easy trying it last night. I'm going to tie on a small butt section and put a permanent loop on the end and exchange out leaders from that point. Thanks again Maxima!

recieved my leaders today , can`t wait to try them out , thank you very much maxima

Got my free leaders today. I'm excited to try them out. Thanks for the hookup Maxima!

Just received my leaders today, can't wait to try them out.

Thanks Maxima you're awesome.

Maurice, you should get some of these if you haven't already. They are very well done and a lot better then the ones you find on the ground, or my old ones!

PaulG

got those leaders the other day. havent tried them out yet, but they look very nicely done. thanks maxima.. appreciate it a lot.

-Dan

that is the same way that i tie on tippet on too....i really like that tool its a pain to always take it out but i have been using it for awhile now and i have gotten pretty good with it

got them today they look great cant wait to use them for the grannom's in a few weeks

got mine today Maxima they look great thanks so much

Mine came the other day. They look great thanks again!

Max

Tied one of your leader on for the first time, very nice!

Again, thank you!

PaulG

Back