Frack Fluid Spill

Well put. I'm beginning to feel helpless.

Salmo

For Immediate Release November 16, 2009
717.705.7806 or elevis@state.pa.us
Fish & Boat Commission to Inspect Marcellus Shale Drilling Sites
Harrisburg, PA – Law enforcement officers and biologists with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat
Commission (PFBC) will begin conducting field inspections of active drilling sites for Marcellus Shale gas
wells beginning next month, the agency announced today.
“Until now our agency has only reacted to those drilling sites where a problem resulted in material
entering a waterway or wetlands,” said Dr. Douglas Austen, PFBC executive director. “We are now taking
a proactive approach to identify possible problems at a drilling site and to work with the company to
ensure necessary measures are in place to minimize the possibility of damaging nearby waterways.”
The agency will focus on those well sites that are in close proximity to Commonwealth
waterways, including wetlands. The inspections will determine if adequate measures are in place at the
drilling site and access roads to prevent damage to the nearby aquatic resources. As part of the
inspections, PFBC staff will also be obtaining water quality data from several locations in the nearby
waterway.
“The commission recognizes the need for and importance of the development of the Marcellus
Shale for gas production and believes it can be accomplished in a manner that provides protection to
Pennsylvania’s valuable aquatic resources,” Austen added. “Because of the importance of this issue,
waterways conservation officers and field staff have set aside other job duties and functions for a period
of time in order to conduct these field inspections.”
More than 150 active well sites have been identified so far for inspections, which are expected to
take place over the next several months.
The mission of the Fish and Boat Commission is to protect, conserve, and enhance the
Commonwealth’s aquatic resources and provide fishing and boating opportunities. For more information
about fishing and boating in Pennsylvania, please visit our website at www.fishandboat.com.

Link to source: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/newsreleases/2009/marcellus.pdf

Wow a proactive stance...what a concept. I think that qualifies as progress.

I wish the drillers had to pay a tax so the State could get paid for the extra police work it has to do to make sure these sites are safe.

Salmo

Speaking of Salmo, I read something the other day about the state upping their antiquated 1984-era, $100 well driller permit fee. I forget the new number, but it is significantly more. Then I read the fine print, and the new fee only applies to NON-MARCELLUS wells. Guess you don't want to impeded economic growth too much.

All i know is PA (resident) fishing guides pay $100 A YEAR to guide. Seems out of whack to me.

The really sad thing is that DEP is being gutted at the same time all this drilling is beginning. In a few years no one will want to come to PA, especially for the outdoors. Good article from a TU guy (Pennel?) in the H-burg Patriot. I couldn't be more depressed about the future of our sporting traditions.

Back