FR&R ends publication

R

rrt

I just got a notice today that Fly Rod & Reel has ceased publication after 40 years, which I find pretty sad. It was a spin-off of Fly Fisherman when I was a young fly-fisherman. I suppose competition from the Internet and other ff magazines led to FR&R's demise.

You could always rely on the magazine to print a serious conservation column from Ted Williams and could also rely on Gierach's interesting writing style in his column ending the magazine. Over the years, I particularly enjoyed the annual writing contest, which resulted in the Traver Award for writing. Many of these Traver contest stories were quite good, and I will miss reading them each summer.

Sorry to see FR&R end its run.

The editor got his pink slip a few months ago according to his own blog. You would wonder if a digital only edition might be viable but the financing streams are for the pros to figure out.

They informed me that the remaining issues of my subscription would be a hunting magazine instead. I don't hunt. Thanks. I believe I just recently paid for 2 years . . .

Magazines and newspapers are going the way of vinyl records, film, typewriters and fly shops, I'm afraid. I haven't subscribed to a newspaper or magazine for decades.

Since nearly everyone is online, I don't understand why all the print publications don't just "publish" their content digitally. Perhaps I don't know enough about it, but would think attaching all their ads to the online publication would be enough to turn a profit. I would guess the bulk of the subscription price of a paper publication paid for printing, distribution, and postage, and most the profit is derived from selling the ad space. Eliminating printing a hard copy would save all the aforementioned costs.

Anyway, I'm sorry to see another magazine go by the wayside.

Afishinado.... except vinyl is coming back big :).

I agree that if you are a print magazine and don't have an online presence than you are probably on your way out. There are still a few print mags out there that are enjoying success - The Drake, Fly Fish Journal... these also have pretty solid online presences and they offer something pretty unique that you wouldn't be able to find exclusively online.

If F. Scott Fitzgerald had published The Great Gatsby online, the responses would have been:

TLDR LOL

If F. Scott Fitzgerald had published The Great Gatsby online, the responses would have been: TLDR LOL

Hahaha so true. I agree that the increase in online publications correlates with a shorter content. I, for one, can't focus on long form writing via screens. I need to have it in my hand for me to digest it properly. I think there will always be a place for print journalism, just not as big of one as in the past.

Back