Found a new addiction...

Great thread. Every now and again I look at the materials I've collected over the last twenty-five years and say to myself "What in god's name were you thinking", like the coyote mask that looked really useful 12 years ago and now stares at me on the knob of a rocking chair by my tying table. But some time back I got on Afish's program and just started tying what are now generically called 'guide flies'. Sometimes I think all I really needed are variations on PT and GRHE (ok, I still carry enough boxes to cover stones, sulphers, Isos, BWOs and midges etc.), but I don't bite on the exotics much anymore. On the other hand, I couldn't agree more that tying is a blast for itsownself and enhances an already enchanting sport.

Agree with other posters. Hooks, thread and generic furs / feathers get it done. Grey, tan, olive, cream and yellow fur cover 99% of what you'll tie. Bled to make custom colors.

I've never tied a royal anything or fished one. I stll caught fish. My nymph patterns are basic / suggestive flies. Once you get established, then get fancier materials for more specific / advanced patterns. Have fun and go slow....it's a long journey..lol

One of the biggest advantages I have by tying my own flies is adding weight to them. If I take a streamer or a nymph out to my local creek and I have to add a lot of split shot to get it down, then I can go back and tie the same pattern with more lead wraps and test it out the next time I go. Same with dry dropper rigs. If the dropper is too heavy and pulling down the dry fly, I can go back and tie up some new lighter droppers that are perfectly weighted for the situation. Flies I get online or at the shop are usually to light or too heavy and I'm forced to mess around with split shot to get the right weight. When my flies are perfectly weighted for my situation, I tend to have less snags, better drift, and more fish!

A few years ago when I started tying I bid and won a "large lot of fly tying materials". It included hooks, fur, beads, dubbing, a golden pheasant skin and a bunch more. I thought I way over paid at $60.00 but again thought I'd be set for many years. Little did I know I'd spend hundreds of dollars over the next few years. My wife now wants me to get a closable desk to hide my mess. But it is very enjoyable and satisfying.

I just started tying and I have followed crayfish 2's advice. Keeping it simple with everything. I agree with bigsblackwater on the weight too. I vary my weight and I am in the process of moving the flies around in my boxes so each weight has its own living spot. I do like the thread based nymphs also. They are easy and catch fish.

Back