Forest County Sports

Bruno

Bruno

This place is on its last leg. Stopped in this week. Everything is 50% off. Picked up some half saddles and 100 packs.

He has a couple of very nice bamboo rods in there and the price is right. If you are close it might be worth the stop.

Sad to see such a nice place go to hell. Looks like a crack den. Rubbish all over the place. Stuff on the floor.

They used to have a really nice website in their hayday. Hadn't been updated in years last time I checked. It's a shame.

Yep, that shop has gone down hill over the years and its a shame. The last few times I was there, it was rarely open and when it was, there was not a whole lot in there.

I meant to stop in during my trip up there this spring. Only problem was, they were never open! Yeah, its been on the decline for a while now.

This was never a destination shop. The trout fishing in the area is middling at best. And it was always too far from reasonably large population centers to make up for the fact that it really wasn't a destination shop.

Under previous ownership, what made it go was committed ownership by a really great guy, a dedicated staff, smart inventory mgmt., and most of all, the relationship between the dying remnants of the old oil money in the area and Pendleton clothing.

Pendleton sales sustained the place. The rest of the stuff, from rods to fly tying supplies to topo maps to deer rifle ammo to Vasque shoes, North Face gear and so on and so forth only helped the operation tread water.

where is the shop located ?

where is the shop located ?
Tionesta.

The trout fishing in the area is middling at best.
I'll have to disagree. I've lived in Coudersport and State College before moving here. Now, I don't think Forest County is better than either of those areas. But its not that far off the pace, and better than most of PA.

That's a shame about this shop. I remember years ago it was a really great shop and the owner was very knowledgeable on the locals streams. They were never the least expensive shop but the quality of their products was high. It's a shame to see any shop close its doors though I suppose.

Back