For you wet waders out there

I certainly wouldn't refer to it for advice, but now that I read it again, I LOLed. I have a good rapport with my infectious disease guy now, and I'll be heading his way if I ever get anything sketchy again.

JakesLW, hey man, if you wet waded in the YB, check for cuts and stuff....All you have to do is leave your waders in the car overnight after being in the Yellow Breeches and you'll smell what I mean......not good!

PatrickC
That's some great info. Thanks for sharing your clinical experience.
Just be warned, with the number of times I hear about these guys falling in a stream, hooking themselves, or winding up with a nasty cut, your PM box may fill quickly...

Interesting topic, and although I would hardly argue with any medical professionals, M.D.'s in particular, I have to agree that hygeine and a well maintained immune system is key to preventing such horrible infections. I've been a Plumber for 30 years and without going into explicit detail, we get into some compromising situations as it relates to water that is less than clean. I am a firm believer that we (as Americans) should avoid using anti-biotics everytime we get a sniffle or cough. There certainly are times when these drugs are needed to clear infectious disease and that's fine but we need to be careful because your body loses it's ability to fight off certain bacterial infections when the immune system is weakend. Two seasons ago, I sliced the soul of my foot from end to end on an oyster bed while kayak fishing for Reds down in VA, I used what I had in my on-board first aid kit to clean and dress the wound and it healed in a few days. The following summer I sliced the side of my left calf open on some barnacles attached to a rock jetty in MD landing a fish, followed the same basic first aid procedures and it also healed quickly. It is said that some of the bacteria in the Marine enviroment is worse than anything we can imagine in our fresh water habitat. Bottom line is: Use good common sense while wet wading and carry at the very least, a pocket size first aid kit with anti-bacterial wipes and ointment along with bandages.

Jeff

padre Island in texas has had a few deaths from the bacteria in the water. wet wading for reds there a duy had a small cut, got invected and died. The marine envioment can get ya for sure. Barnacles can be a pain (no pun) for sure, been cut a few times on jettys chasin stripers.

I carry a zip-loc bag with first aid selection in my fishing vest and saltwater kit that includes Neosporin. In my car there's a bigger kit with hydrogen peroxide and more bandages. I use the stuff a couple times a year.

Don't forget the feminin hygenie pads and duct tape to stop the heavy bleeders.

I gave up wet wading long ago.
Besides the dangers in the water itself, I became concerned about nasties just getting to the stream - poison ivy, itchweed, and biting insects.

I saved an old pair of heavy canvas waders for creeks like the Neshaminy. They leak a little but when you happen by the submerged bed springs your glad to have the protection.

Neshamminy is one place I would never fish without waders. There are 2 major sewer plants dumping in there above the trout areas, plus lake galena has an old lead mine on it. Lots of nastys. I grew up on that creek and though its a lot better than the sixties, I still wouldn't wet wade. And I never would eat any of the fish from there..

Agree with the bush-wacking aspect for wearing waders. I tried wet wading once. No poison ivy, but after obtaining about 10 scratches per leg, I wasn't able to focus at all on the stream just thinking about threads like this one. I need my legs!

sandfly wrote:
Neshamminy is one place I would never fish without waders. There are 2 major sewer plants dumping in there above the trout areas, plus lake galena has an old lead mine on it. Lots of nastys. I grew up on that creek and though its a lot better than the sixties, I still wouldn't wet wade. And I never would eat any of the fish from there..

There are four now. By the time you get to Tyler (which is also stocked) you have eight. Three are on Little Neshaminy. Makes you think twice about biting off the tag end of the knot.

Back