for those who are tying bwo's

flipnfly

flipnfly

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/bwos/

has anyone tried this pattern? is it worth tying ?

Good pattern. Tie some up for the "Lost Boys Reunion". ;-)

i may tie some up minus the goose biot body

I'm not a fan of biot bodies. I think there are better body materials.

flipn and mKern -

Just curious about why you guys are not fans of the biot body. I have been using biot bodies a lot lately with great success, especially on some of the tougher tailwaters.

what do you guys use instead?

I don't like the biots because of that frilly edge. I know it can be wrapped over.

I actually like the way they look (minus the frillyies) I just don't like tying with them.

I like poly-yarn bodies, superfine dubbing, and I've even used traditional quills.

Again, I like the way they look; just I don't like using them as a material. Probably not enough practice.

I love the biot bodies - I had great success with biot body, sulphurs, PMDs and BWOs this past season.

I do wrap them so that they do not have that ridge though.

the ridge gives them the segmented look which is the primary reason to tie with biots !!!! biots sinkl quicker too which is another bonus

I tie biots both ways; "frilly" edge out for nymphs to represent gills and "frilly" edge under to represent mayfly duns or spinners without gills. I tie them on for fussy fish, and they sometimes work better than other body materials.

I agree afish. I tie with biots the same way. They are very effective with fussy fish and I think they look good too. I use them for sulphurs, BWOs, and Hendricksons.

I use this:Better than biots lighter, water proof and can be colored.

Attachments

• tyvek_014.jpg
    tyvek_014.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 5
I actually just did a post on my blog about the BWO that I tie. It's so easy and I've caught over 50 fish with it this year.

size 18-22 dry.
sheer 12/0 olive thread.
4 microfibbet fibers for tail (dark dun)
dark dun CDC puff for the wing (just one)

that's all you need. Landed fish today with it.

Attachments

• bwo'.jpg
    bwo'.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 2
For those who don't like quill bodies;
bwo and a blue quill sz 16

Attachments

• 12-12-2010 026.jpg
    12-12-2010 026.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 12-12-2010 030.jpg
    12-12-2010 030.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 12-12-2010 038.jpg
    12-12-2010 038.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 5
troutslammer wrote:
the ridge gives them the segmented look which is the primary reason to tie with biots !!!! biots sinkl quicker too which is another bonus

They look plenty segmented wen you tie them without the ridge. For duns, that edge sticking up just doesn't look real to me. Maybe for subsurface flies...

Anyway the fish seem to like it - and I like it that way which is the important thing. For me it's all about fishing with flies that I like to tie and fish - because the fish seem to to eat anything close most of the time. Just witness the number of opinions and patterns.

I've tied BWOs and sulphurs and other patterns with hackle wings like that. Just wrap hackle, and trim the bottom. Very simple way to make a wing and the trout like them. I'm not sure what that style is called: hackle comparadun?

They are kind of hard to see on the water. But for picky trout on flat water, they work pretty well.

I use dubbed bodies a lot more than quills, but both will work.

Back